News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Flat/Matte Black Dodge Charger 2013 --Advice WANTED

Started by RakCity, December 18, 2013, 11:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RakCity

Ok Guys,

Im new to this but Ive been reading on this form for awhile. Im looking at painting my new charger Matte Black (Satin Finish) and I know this is a common topic, but I would like to know has anybody done it to their car and how has it turned out so far. Also, the maintenance how do you wash it? Keep it up and clean looking? Thanks you guys and I love my new car Im just looking at painting it black. (I dont like the white at all LOL) but love the red interior.

Dino

I've painted a few cars flat black and your best bet would be getting something like hotrod black.  Alternatively you can dull the clear to any degree you like.

The paint has to be perfect.  No dust, drips, runs or orange peel as you cannot polish a flat paint.  Well you can, but it won't be flat anymore....

Have you thought about a car wrap?  It'll look absolutely perfect and it's removable for when you get tired of it.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

RakCity

Thanks Dino,

Yes thats actually the color Im going for and no I dont intend on wrapping the car. I have researched the car wrap but I think I would rather just go ahead and paint the thing. What is your experience with actually washing the car? Can you rub the wash cloth to wash off dirt like a reg. paint job or is there a certain way  to do it?

Dino

Quote from: RakCity on December 19, 2013, 01:28:46 PM
Thanks Dino,

Yes thats actually the color Im going for and no I dont intend on wrapping the car. I have researched the car wrap but I think I would rather just go ahead and paint the thing. What is your experience with actually washing the car? Can you rub the wash cloth to wash off dirt like a reg. paint job or is there a certain way  to do it?

Yes you can use cloths and sponges as long as you don't rub too much.  You can take any cloth and rub vigorously on one spot and it will start to shine.  With that said, the trick to maintain a nice flat paint job is first of all make sure the painter lays it as smooth as possible.  Any structure will trap dirt and make it harder to clean.  When the paint has hardened all the way through you need to clean it until it looks brand new and apply a few coats of wax.  They make them for flat finishes as some waxes contain polish, you don't want that.

Once waxed, the car will be a breeze to clean.  Follow manufacturer's recommendation to rewax once or twice per year. 

Your worst nightmare will be dents and scratches.  There is no easy way out here.  Paintless dent repair won't work as they cannot sand and polish as a final step.  Filling scratches is almost impossible as you cannot blend anything so you're left with a full panel respray.  When you look for a painter, you need to find someone who knows how to maintain and repair a flat finish.  A resto/hot rod shop is your best bet.  A collision shop is not the best way to go although it may be the only option.

RakCity

Thanks alot Dino,

Im afraid to say but Im looking at this nearby Maaco shop here intown but the area I live in is nice and he has done many matte jobs. I saw pictures of a Mercedez he just did and it came out real nice. He also, showed me his buddies PT he did and it was custom. The picture was after 2 n half years and it still held up pretty nice. So I think ima give him a chance and try him out. He did say that it will take 5-7 days and that he will lay many coats and make sure he puts the clear over it to give it the special glow.

Dino

Quote from: RakCity on December 20, 2013, 01:07:40 PM
Thanks alot Dino,

Im afraid to say but Im looking at this nearby Maaco shop here intown but the area I live in is nice and he has done many matte jobs. I saw pictures of a Mercedez he just did and it came out real nice. He also, showed me his buddies PT he did and it was custom. The picture was after 2 n half years and it still held up pretty nice. So I think ima give him a chance and try him out. He did say that it will take 5-7 days and that he will lay many coats and make sure he puts the clear over it to give it the special glow.

It's not the shop, it's the guys that work in that shop at that given time.  You can take any company in any line of work, in any part of the world and find that they are only as good or bad as the personnel that works there at that point in time.  If a good painter hires in at Maaco it doesn't make him any less professional.  If the work you see is to your liking then you have found your painter.

Good luck and be sure to post pics when it's done!   :2thumbs:

Silver R/T

Quote from: Dino on December 20, 2013, 03:03:43 PM
Quote from: RakCity on December 20, 2013, 01:07:40 PM
Thanks alot Dino,

It's not the shop, it's the guys that work in that shop at that given time.  You can take any company in any line of work, in any part of the world and find that they are only as good or bad as the personnel that works there at that point in time.  If a good painter hires in at Maaco it doesn't make him any less professional.  If the work you see is to your liking then you have found your painter.

Good luck and be sure to post pics when it's done!   :2thumbs:

So true, paint job quality will vary from one painter to another one.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

RakCity

Thats exactly what I thought because alot of people like to bag Maaco, but I feel that it really depends more on the individual painter. Well that makes me feel alot safer, because I seen his work and hes done some good jobs. Ok, I will make sure I post pictures once its done!!

moparguy01

alot of guys definately mock maaco painters. but tell me this, if you painted 3 cars a day for 6 months, dont you think you would get relatively good with a spray gun? I know a few guys who paid the maaco painter to paint their car on the side, and they turned out wonderful.

RakCity

Ok Guys so I was real hesitant on painting the original car because I didnt want to mess up the cars nice paint. So I was deciding between Matte vinyl Wrap and Plastidip. Because of cost and how I saw my buddies car look after a year dipped, I chose the Plastidip. Very happy with how it came out! Please give feedback and opinion.

-Im gonna upgrade the rims to a larger rim & add gloss black rims w/ red center caps that will compliment the front grille and red seats.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s196.photobucket.com/user/mikeswtx1/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>

hemi-hampton

Quote from: moparguy01 on December 20, 2013, 11:18:02 PM
alot of guys definately mock maaco painters. but tell me this, if you painted 3 cars a day for 6 months, dont you think you would get relatively good with a spray gun? I know a few guys who paid the maaco painter to paint their car on the side, and they turned out wonderful.

Only 3 cars a day. When I worked at Maaco about 25 years ago I had to paint 8 cars a day, 1 per hour. In that hour had to mix my own paint & seal car. LEON.

Skull-1

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6231.0.html

1969 Dodge Charger "Ol' Yeller"
1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom
1995 Buick Regal Gran Sport
1996 Buick Regal SE (R.I.P.)

JMF

Back N Black

Actually, i like the white, the flat black looks like its in primer,ready for paint. :shruggy:

RakCity

JMF that is NOIIIIICE how much did it run you? and yea I have since took the red off and tinted the windows and added some nice wheels on it. The car I must admit is real Sexy.

Silver R/T

Quote from: RakCity on January 17, 2014, 02:23:17 PM
JMF that is NOIIIIICE how much did it run you? and yea I have since took the red off and tinted the windows and added some nice wheels on it. The car I must admit is real Sexy.

Yeah, real Charger looks real nice
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722