News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Scoop on '68-'70 Charger's below the front valance...

Started by MxRacer855, December 17, 2013, 07:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MxRacer855

There is a shroud on some Chargers that I see located beneath the front valance. They're very noticeable on the front of the car. Mike Musto has on his '68 that was featured on 'Drive'. I'm just curious what they're for? I can only guess to direct more air flow through the radiator and engine bay area.

I think they look pretty cool and was just wondering who makes them if anyone knows...

Thanks

Jeff

Indygenerallee

No scoops below the valance were ever installed from the factory...
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

daveco

R/Tree

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

WHITE AND RED 69

99% of them are just for looks. I like it because it hides the sway bar and makes the front end look lower.

I've got the 69 camaro spoiler on mine painted the body color. And for the price you can't beat it. If it breaks just get a new one. The coolest thing I've seen is MSRacing89 added brake cooling ducts into his spoiler. I'm going to copy that idea one of these days.  :scratchchin:

There is also these from Spoilers by Randy. These are actually made for the chargers but are a lot more expensive.

http://www.spoilersbyrandy.com/Pages/6869Chargerspoiler.aspx

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Ghoste

I don't know that I'd do it myself but that Randy's one doesn't look bad under there.

MxRacer855

Exactly guys! Thanks. That was exactly what I was referring to. I assumed it was an aftermarket option since I've never seen it on a stock Charger, but I had no idea it was a GM part! Looks pretty cool though. Is the conversion easy?

Jeff

MxRacer855

Those spoilers by "Randy" definitely look like a cool, simple thing that adds a badass touch to the front end (if that's what you desire).

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

MxRacer855

It looks great! Easy fit? Mine will be for a '68 as well.

Jeff

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

1974dodgecharger

as much as I dont want to put one on since he hads to no performance gain I still wouldnt mind one for some damn reason....WTF mike musto thanks a lot

bull

I don't have any experience ordering Chevy stuff. Anyone got a link?

Ghoste

After all the pain to restore your car you would add a front spoiler from a Camaro Bull?

cdr

Dino

69 Camaro spoiler.  Paid around $30 with the brackets.  I drilled new holes in the top lip of the spoiler to line up with the valance so no holes had to be drilled in the car itself.  There's a long rod that comes with it that fits perfectly between the center mounting bolt on the spoiler and a bolt on the k member.  All I had to do was flatten the pre-bent edge of the rod.  I hit a high curb with it last summer and the rod took the hit.  The spoiler had a tiny crack but that was it.

The sway bar just had to be hidden imo.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

6pkrtse

I have never like this camaro spoiler thing personally. It is not wide enough for the car. Kind of like a cowl hood on a Mopar. It don't belong.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

BrianShaughnessy

I can buy a lot of ebay plastic camero spoilers that are a lot tougher than a $200 22 ga Randy spoiler...   and if it's not tougher well... I'm still ahead of the game.   Just saying   :Twocents: .   I've had one on Betty for... um... years now  :lol: 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

6pkrtse

Don't know why. I just never could stand scoops, NACA ducts spoilers or anything like that. Hate them on anything. My Neon Sport daily driver had a stupid spoiler on the deck lid. I put a four door sedan decklid on it. Hate Shelby Mustang GT500's with all of the ducts, scoops etc. Hate 90's Trans Am's but yet a 69' Daytona or Superbird is my dream car!!! weird, huh?
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

Dino

Quote from: 6pkrtse on December 18, 2013, 01:34:59 PM
Don't know why. I just never could stand scoops, NACA ducts spoilers or anything like that. Hate them on anything. My Neon Sport daily driver had a stupid spoiler on the deck lid. I put a four door sedan decklid on it. Hate Shelby Mustang GT500's with all of the ducts, scoops etc. Hate 90's Trans Am's but yet a 69' Daytona or Superbird is my dream car!!! weird, huh?

A bit!  I never understood the wing car thing.  I'm not a real fan of spoilers either but it's a vast improvement now that the sway bar is hidden.  The width is actually perfect, it looks like it was made for it as it is as wide as the bottom edge of the valance, it just doesn't show it in these pics.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

MxRacer855

I think it's relative to the car that the scoop, wing, and spoiler is on. I really hate them on some but think they look amazing on others. I guess it's just personal opinion.

Jeff

fy469rtse

Bull go ahead and put one on, needs that sway bar covered up,
I'm with you 6pkrtse,
not wide enough, looks a couple sizes too small,
will post photo's when i get mine finished, making one out of alloy, similar shape but wider than the GM one, trying to mount it spring loaded so it has some movement for hits.

TUFCAT

All front sway bars were painted black from the factory - therefore hidden.  :yesnod:  The front spoiler is a nice addition on some cars.

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: Indygenerallee on December 17, 2013, 07:34:31 PM
No scoops below the valance were ever installed from the factory...

Mine has a factory front spoiler... :icon_smile_wink:
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)