News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger R/T

Started by justsomeguy, December 17, 2013, 05:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justsomeguy

If it would not be to much trouble I have a few questions I am sure you guys can answer. They are all about a 68 Charger R/T 

Were the dual R/T stripes only avaliable on a 68 R/T?    Could a 68 Charger R/T built late in the model year have had a single R/T stripe like the 69's came out with?  On a Factory Black R/T what color would the stripes have been from the factory?    Were the stripes painted on or were they decals?  If decals, where is the best place to purchase a high quality set of them?   If painted on, is there a stencil kit available?

Thanks, Steve

Ghoste

Only on 68 RT, I don't hink any 68's had the 69 style, they were a decal and if it was a black car the standard colors for stripe were white or red.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

justsomeguy

Thanks for that info....   Is there any tag on the car that would tell what color R/T stripes this Charger would have come with or any tell tale signs that would suggest red or white stripes.   Also what size red line tires would have come on the car and what "todays size" coker red lines would be the closest to put back on it.

Thanks, Steve

Ghoste

On the fender tag 310 is black, 314 is red and 317 is white.  319 would be stripe delete and the black stripes aren't always coded on the fender tag according to the information I have.

justsomeguy

Thanks for that info. My fender tag does not have any numbers that are 300-something. Where on the fender tag would these numbers be?
My last line of info on the fender tag is.... XS29     83    3   44    119    062916   
The 119 is the closest number to any of the 300 numbers listed above.

Thanks, Steve

hemi68charger

Quote from: justsomeguy on December 18, 2013, 03:58:13 PM
Thanks for that info. My fender tag does not have any numbers that are 300-something. Where on the fender tag would these numbers be?
My last line of info on the fender tag is.... XS29     83    3   44    119    062916   
The 119 is the closest number to any of the 300 numbers listed above.

Thanks, Steve

the 119 is your SPD, should be Jan.19th.......  1968 .. And,,, yummmy,,,,,  4speed car..........  :icon_smile_big:

go here and fill this out with your tag information..

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=85
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Ghoste

On your fender tag, what number appears under the large "S"?

bakerhillpins

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

justsomeguy

There does not appear to be any number under the S    There is a 1 under the R and a 7 under the T.   

Ghoste

Sorry, the "S" that is part of "UBS".

68hardchargerrt

Quote from: justsomeguy on December 18, 2013, 05:20:05 PM
There does not appear to be any number under the S    There is a 1 under the R and a 7 under the T.   

As Ghoste states, Black Stripes aren't always coded on the tag....I have a numbers matching 68 RT 4speed car also, and my black stripes documented on the build sheet are not under the S on my fender tag.  it is blank there.  I've had the car for almost 30 years now, so they are original documentation found.

Cool car you have...What color is it (if you haven't stated already)?
"If you ain't breaking stuff, you ain't driving it right"  Carroll Shelby

hatersaurusrex

Noone here has any idea of what your'e talking about unless you post several pics of the car :)
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

xs29bb1

If you post a picture of the fender tag we can decode it for you if you're having any issues

justsomeguy

The Charger's original paint was blue metallic, white interior, with white stripes as far as I can tell.
The car is now black on black.   I am thinking finishing it off with the red stripe package and redline tires.  "Cause thats what makes me happy"
Thank you guys for all your info and Merry Christmas.

Ghoste

Cool and thats what you should do. :2thumbs:

jessejames

Its funny you mention this... I just talked to a guy the other day who told me he worked for a dodge dealership locally here in Milwaukee. He said that the 68 model was so popular that year that the factory was pumping out R/T's so fast that when the cars arrived at the dealership they had no stripes. He worked in the paint department and remembers painting the stripes on the R/T cars. Cool history!