News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

distributor advance mechanical operation

Started by hemi68charger, December 20, 2013, 11:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

OK, this is one of my weak links, ignitions....

I was messing with my Chrysler distributor today and using my vacuum pump on the distributor advance while on the bench vise. I notice at about 10 inches of vacuum, the breaker plate moves...... As it should I'm sure. I know also there's an access hole where one can place a very small allen wrench and adjust. Is this adjustment one that causes the breaker plate to move with more or less vacuum? Is 10 about normal for this? I take it testing/experiments can be done with the car all together. Adjust the advance and see its reaction to the movement of the adjuster... What's the typical wrench size for the adjustment?
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

A383Wing

if the vac advance is adjustable, I think it was a 1/8" allen wrench

Back N Black

With it screwed all the way clockwise, the adjusting plate is all the way forward so there is very little compression on the vacuum spring.  In other words, you are getting lots of advance even with very little vacuum. Keep turning it counter clockwise, which will decrease the sensitivity to vacuum so that less advance comes in for any given vacuum level.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: A383Wing on December 20, 2013, 11:43:18 PM
if the vac advance is adjustable, I think it was a 1/8" allen wrench

3/32" as far I recall.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html