News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is the Colour of your Charger important to you???

Started by 500Jon, December 13, 2013, 07:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

500Jon

Hi Guys and Gals,
After nearly ten years of owning my dream Charger and I'm still not sure what to do?
I have owner several nice 68/69 Chargers and they have all been F8 green!!!
As Mr.T says, "if you have a green car, better get it repainted quick".
Why is that? I always thought green was a nice colour, even if its UNLUCKY.
Yes you guessed it, my 69500 is also F8 green.
My favourite colour for a Charger is B5 blue.
So what to do, change my car to blue or stay with green.
I will be starting the resto very soon, so any advice would be much appreaciated.
Opinions here in the UK are deffo NO to a colour change.
Tony 'O' the UK-President-MMA wouldn't even alllow me to fit a date coded 426 Hemi in there either! :brickwall:
Now I'm between a ROCK/HARD-PLACE
Maybe I should hang on till a B5 Hemi C500(4SPD) turns up :slap: LoL!
500Jon the LiMeY
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

Baldwinvette77

If B5 is your favorite colour, it should be a No-brainer, Get a respray  :coolgleamA:

what do you mean he wouldn't allow you to fit a date coded hemi in it??? O.o  Is he Bullying you?  :pity:

The one thing i dont understand about numbers matching restos, is why should i build a car to the same specs some other dude ordered way back whenever?, i want to build it the way i would have ordered it, Screw the Build sheet  :hack:

Ghoste

Hmm, good question.  It is to a degree because there are certain colors I like a lot more than others but it doesn't sway me really when I'm looking at a car as potential purchase.  It might make me more excited if the car was already a color I like but wouldn't slow me if it wasn't.

XH29N0G

This depends on whether it matters to you that the color on the car match the color on the tag.  If it bothers you, I would consider waiting.  If it is for resale, I don't know the answer, probably wait.  If it doesn't bother you, I would repaint it the way I wanted it. 

I stuck with F8 for mine because that is my favorite color, and it ended up a different shade - and I think very striking - but that is also in large part because it is a charger.  My parents said the new shade is what it looked like when new and that the F8 had started fading pretty quickly after they bought it. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

500Jon

Yeh I like green, but I like BLUE more! :smilielol:

Swapsee a 695004speed F8 for a blue one LOL! :icon_smile_tongue:
Condition unimportant, as long as its BLUE!!!

Limey

Dino

Wait a minute, who is this president and what does he have to do with your car? 

Paint it the way you like it, who cares about anyone else?  It's a car, you're not painting over the Mona Lisa here. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

If the MMA is a judging body that looks at your car based on accurate or oem style restoration then you are screwed but if its just a MOpar club, do whatever you want with the car.  (except chop it up for an El Camino thing or a convertible)

tan top

yeah was for me   had to be Y2  ,
but got my wayback almost 25 years ago  when you could sort of hold out till you  loosely found the exact color model combo you wanted , with in the X amount of money you had to spend :scratchchin: ,   today , its bit different , with some  model variants  :scratchchin:
i'm a big fan of sticking to the fender tag color  ,  but !! if I had a  rare car like a C500 & it was F8  , while it will look awesome when restored in the F8 Green  , to me its not Y2  & for you not B5 , & you cant exactly find another  original Y2 or B5 C500 in need of a resto  round the next street corner ,  for a price I could afford anyway  :scratchchin:  & if you can find properly restored one , will be far too much dough for me anyway !! besides would rather restore it my self , least you know its done how you want  :yesnod: :Twocents:
think I've waffled on a bit here  :lol:
would paint it  what ever color you liked best ,   your car Jon  :yesnod:   B5 for you !!  Y2 for me  :yesnod: ;)   :cheers: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1970Moparmann

I had a 70 RT that was an all original 40k mile RT that was green on green.   I was driving myself nuts going back and forth about getting re-sprayed or not because I just couldn't stand the color.   After long debate with myself  :rofl: I sold it.   I just couldn't touch this original car.

SO then I get my 68 Charger.   Guess what?  F8 green on green with an added benefit of a green top - WTF.  Couldn't do it.  I was going either B5 or Black, and went black.  Wish I went B5 now.  Yeah, I know I'm a girl and can't be happy!

If your going to keep it, paint it what you want.   :2thumbs:   You'll get a lot of opinions on this one because you have a 500.  DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY.   Just my  :Twocents:....

Congrats on the aero car!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Yes, no greens, blues, yellows.

Really wanted T5 or T7, would settle for R4 or R6.

Passed on a 999 code dark red car about 17 or 18 years ago. Why, I still ask myself  :brickwall:

paironines

I had a B5 car and trust me, you get tired of any color. My F8 car will most likely stay that color if I ever do a respray.

Ghoste

There is a good point.  Whne I got my 67 I didn't like the bronze and no one else did either.  It eventually grew on me enough to leave it but now its in style and I am sooo tired of it.

70 sublime

If the car is still wearing the paint the factory put on it and it is still in good condition that is one thing but if the paint needs to be re done paint it whatever colour you like
Let the next owner change it back if they do not like the new colour choice :)
Your car your choice
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

cdr

its a car!!!!! make it how YOU want it....................
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

1974dodgecharger

Yes , very important....

I hope to plasti dip mine i  the future just to be different for awhile.

500Jon

Great replies Guys and Gals!

Its not everyday you luck into your dream car.
She's a resto project in several different colors which have be badly paintstripped.
Obviously the previous owners disliked green toooo! :rotz:
Not seen many 500's in the flesh, a white one, a tan one and a bronze one.
Think I saw a modified Blue 500 at Vegas-strip 2004 but I didn't take a piccy.
A Moparmate in the UK has a F5 69500, think thats an even harder color to live with?

Didn't think that the color would give me so many sleepless nights.
Then there's the quality of the resto, if it ain't done right I probably won't be able to show it.
My mates 500 had $17,000 in body and paint alone! :yesnod:
Thats what 420 hours in a pro shop at $30 an hour can cost!
Hope to do mine in half as many hours and a one day paint jobbie LOL!!! :smilielol:
Remember talking to a Cali restorer once, he said, "If a car don't have the right NOS parts, don't bother showing it"!

Its one thing owning a rare Mopar, its another knwowing what to do with it??? :brickwall:

Limey

wingcar

I would say that yes, color is very important, as in many cases it can make or break the looks of a car for many.   The good news is that color is one thing that can always be changed (perhaps not super easy if done correctly....but not an impossible job and it can always be changed back to original in the future).  My first Charger, a '66 had a red interior which I really didn't care for, so I didn't keep the car that long, as interior colors are pretty much what they are, being very costly to change.  And, I once owned a '69 442 Olds that was green with a green interior....just couldn't get use to it and sold it.  Was never into green cars....   

Still love the looks of a "clean" black car......................
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

tan top

:drool5: looks awesome in B5 ,   although the one below was original Y2 :lol:

got a bit of a checkered history , if all the pictures are correct for that car  :yesnod:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,106093.0.html
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Troy

I'm all for doing whatever you want. However, I'm also partial to keeping rare cars original. If you had a triple green 318 column shift auto I'd wonder why you were even asking BUT you have an F8 (best of all the greens except 68's GG1) 69 500. The fact that it's a 500 would keep me from changing anything from stock.

Yes, I like blue better than green. Any green. But original, rare cars are even better!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

twodko

All sage opinions offered up here. To my way of thinking.......questionable at best.......is whether the car is all original or not.

If its an original numbers matching car despite its color/draintrain that alone adds extra value to the car. In this case I think you have 2 options, resto the car as original or sell it if the color simply curdles your pudding. If a car isn't original and you intend a thorough restoration paint it the color you like....the others can bugger off yeah?

I stumbled on a car I didn't know I wanted, didn't know what "numbers matching" or 440 R/T meant, didn't truly appreciate being the second owner nor did I understand how relatively rare the color is.

My car is Q5 and we restored it true to its VIN. This forum and quite a few members hereon have educated me very well.  :Twocents:

PS As far as green being "unlucky", the only thing unlucky is he who doesn't own a Mopar.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

b5blue

You mean there are colors OTHER THAN B5 BLUE!  :lol: Mine is in white right now as a protective coating....My kids and I miss the blue. (After 18 years we just call the car "blue".) I say "for now" give it a "quicky" coat of b5 and let your eyes tell ya!

69_500

It is your car paint it what color you like, but be warned that if the time ever comes to sell the car you are going to take a hit on value. When the time comes to possibly sell the car odds are they may want the car, and like how it looks, but to be correct to many people it would need to be stripped down again and repainted. Thus making it about as valuable as one needing to be restored.
Guess what I am trying to say is if you want a B5 car paint it B5 and enjoy it but be warned that when time comes to sell the car your not going to get top dollar out of it.

Baldwinvette77

Theres been many discussions here on the future value of classic cars in general, many say they will lose value same as the pre-war cars, if thats the case, who cares what you do, Enjoy it  :shruggy:

RGA

F3 ! Favorite color hands down. And yes it's GREEN. Close second is b5. This is before the black top and stripe, looks perfect now.

bakerhillpins

Yes color was important to me. I searched a long time to find a car that left the factory with the exterior color I wanted. As has been said, your car, paint it what you want. I personally like green exteriors when they have white interiors but could never get a car with a green interior or top.

I am sure that what ever choice you make it will turn out to look daum nice.  :2thumbs:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.