News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Friend wants to build Superbird Clone/Tribute>Is everything available?

Started by High Impact, December 12, 2013, 08:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Impact

He wants to buy my 70 Road Runner and build a Superbird clone car.  I have NO idea whats on the market for parts and was told I should ask this question here.....So, can he buy a complete nose and wing?  As far as the rear window I think he's fine with the RR one.

The other choise would be if someone has one they want to sell,   He may be intrested in someone's project that never got finished.

Thanks for the advice.

Nwcharger

I think stinger makes a basic kit and ted Janek may offer a kit. As far as I know no kits are complete. There's always fab work needed. Find a 70 coronet front fenders and hood. Donc1 makes a metal hood extension piece I'm pretty sure. Fiberglass nose cones are not bad but the wings are kinda weak and I wouldn't use one. Original bird wings come up for sale more often than I thought.
1969 coronet wagon

Mike DC

The Superbird rear window is a much less severe operation than for the Charger aero cars. 

In 1970 the factory's bean counters had much more say over the design of the Superbirds because they had to build twice as many of them.  The Plymouth rear window didn't intrude on the stock trunklid/opening. 

They actually made vinyl tops a mandatory option on 'Birds because it would hide the rough unfinished seam where the stock roof met the window plug.  On the Chargers they had to hand-finish a lot of metal on the roof & quarters. 

billssuperbird

62 Max

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 13, 2013, 04:14:50 AM

The Superbird rear window is a much less severe operation than for the Charger aero cars. 

In 1970 the factory's bean counters had much more say over the design of the Superbirds because they had to build twice as many of them.  The Plymouth rear window didn't intrude on the stock trunklid/opening. 

They actually made vinyl tops a mandatory option on 'Birds because it would hide the rough unfinished seam where the stock roof met the window plug.  On the Chargers they had to hand-finish a lot of metal on the roof & quarters. 

The real bird problem is the back glass,there are no options !

djcarguy

howdy member DonC1   here makes fiberglass or steel bird parts in Vancouver island,if you or friend have passport may save a bunch on shipping?    looks like a great car to do a restore or bird custom..

ohh check don's  profile has info for his web an pictures an ee mail .do you want to sell or see ya rr transformed?????????????   latter dartona --dart guy in oregon  DJ :popcrn: :cheers:

djcarguy

parts  SUPERBIRD   PARTS :Twocents: :Twocents: :popcrn: :2thumbs:Search web fiberglass superbird parts

Don C1--  canada-------steel an fiber glass

showcars -canada  ----glass

day clona ?---- back east? connticut??  maybee  ---- steel lite buckets an glass window plug??

ted jannick--  winged warriors  -- texas ---  fiberglass nose wing- scoops 

aar  --- stinger  --- florida--glassnose  one part wing big bendy sag on top-- truck frieght only-- costly :Twocents:

High Impact

Hmmm, well I was hoping for a "One stop shop" thing.  He has the cash but know's nothing about searching and buying parts and like alot of guys I have my own cars and a full time job where he's retired....

Anyways,  thanks for the lead's on who offers what.  I still think the thing to do is fine a unfinished project that he can just finish up rather than start mine from the ground up.

Keep anymore info comming. :2thumbs:

hotrod98

No one builds a good "kit".  Most of the kits out there are made up of mostly fiberglass parts. Many of the parts need to be made of steel to hold up over a long period of time. To build a decent Superbird clone, it's going to take a nice car, a lot of research and realistically about $10,000 to $12,000 worth of parts. Personally, I think that very few wingcar clone projects are actually finished. I've sold over a hundred sets of wing braces and I would be surprised if ten sets of them were ever actually used. There are unfinished projects popping up occasionally that are worth the money.
I just sold a rust free 70 Roadrunner that was matching numbers. The buyer got a set of wing braces, front frame braces, a perfect rust free pair of Coronet fenders and a very nice converted Superbird hood. He also got a decent nose in the deal.  I saved the guy a lot of time and money on his project.
Tell your friend to keep his eyes open and he will eventually find a nice used clone that's ready to drive.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams