News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

K-members

Started by 69rtse4spd, December 13, 2013, 12:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69rtse4spd

According to the short article in M.C.G., when QA1 bought out Cap auto products they fund their front tubular k-frames to be junk.Does anyone have any idea why they decided that. I am taking the front end off the 70 & getting ready to install the Cap, k-frame & upper & lower control arms. Do not want to do it twice, if it's not safe might check into one of theirs. Will check there web site, mabe they have some info.

Mike DC

I would sooner just modify the heck out of a stock K-frame.  Drill/cut lightening holes all over it, reinforce the welds, gusset a few places, etc. 

The stock K-frame wasn't the greatest item on the car.  But I haven't seen an aftermarket one yet that doesn't concern me in some way or another.  That thing has to do more than hold up the engine & give the control arms something to mount to.  It also plays a role in stiffening the front end, it affects how the car crashes, it's shaped so the underside of the car can blow the front tires or run over a curb without tearing itself up too badly, etc. 

The RMS AlterKtion one generally seems like a good item.  But even that one puts a flat vertical surface hanging down under the middle of the car, which could get very ugly if you lost control and ran over a curb or something. 

MSRacing89

Quote from: 69rtse4spd on December 13, 2013, 12:12:11 AM
According to the short article in M.C.G., when QA1 bought out Cap auto products they fund their front tubular k-frames to be junk.Does anyone have any idea why they decided that. I am taking the front end off the 70 & getting ready to install the Cap, k-frame & upper & lower control arms. Do not want to do it twice, if it's not safe might check into one of theirs. Will check there web site, mabe they have some info.

I would be a bit concerned with the Cap product.  QA1 has spent 2 years redesigning the k-member. control arms, etc. 

We run the new QA1 system now and it went on nice.  The Tech article is the January edition of PHR for our install.  We track this car and run it hard, so it is an affordable option for someone that wants to go tubular but not go to the extreme costs of the some the other makes.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

69rtse4spd

Well put guys, I did go to QA1s web site & watched the video of there welder doing a K-member, looked like a pretty good gap at the top of one of the tubes to me. Was always told, the tighter the joint the better the weld so  :shruggy:. I know what you are saying but don't plan on running over any curbs, even with a stock member your going to do some damage. Decision, decisions, what to do.