News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Smart Devices, Dumb Idea?

Started by JB400, November 01, 2014, 03:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polywideblock

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Mike DC

It's scary and there seems to be little we can do about it.  We can refuse to watch TV but we can't stop going in public places and driving cars.  

This mindset really scares me too:  

QuoteWe should not have to channel surf worried that the TV is recording our behavior for the benefit of advertisers and police. Companies need to become more mindful of consumer privacy when deciding whether to collect personal data. And law enforcement should most certainly be required to get a warrant before accessing it.

"Wild animals need to be more mindful of people's rights when deciding whether to attack the village."  

Corporations are not our friends. 

dyslexic teddybear

Very scary. :yesnod:

And a lot of people WILL claim......"if I don't do anything illegal, I don't need to worry."

Last thing I want is a TV like this.

Mike DC

QuoteAnd a lot of people WILL claim......"if I don't do anything illegal, I don't need to worry."

That's another one of those responses that makes me want to beat my head against a wall.

dyslexic teddybear

Never enters their mind......what's legal may be changed........

Mopar Nut

Most video game players have this, X-box watches you even when the player is shut off.  :brickwall:

Uncle is watching you!
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

twodko

The idea of thinking for one's self is lost on those folks it would seem.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Mike DC

I thought X-box only intended to do that, and they had to abandon the plan over the public backlash?

Not that it isn't a scary step for Microsoft to have even planned it.

The public will put up with just about anything if you sell it to them as a safety/security measure to protect their kids from something.  If there isn't an existing danger then it can be fabricated.  

Daytona R/T SE

Mike DC

There's actually a new "Terminator" movie being made right now.  They're going back to like the 1960s and rewriting everything on a new timeline.  They also revisit some scenes from the earlier movies like in "Back to the Future II".

Dino

You can't put a price on privacy so for as long as I can I will ignore this type of technology.  I do not own a smart phone, for several reasons, and opted for the non smart version of my hd tv.  I do have a laptop and tablet and am vulnerable there so I watch what I do and the data I have on these devices, and yes I did put a piece of tape over the webcam.    :icon_smile_big:

The new cars are worrysome as well, it's more technology that kinda looks like a car and I'm not a fan of them.  I get nervous when I see an 8" screen in a dash, as if people are not distracted enough.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

JB400

I put a piece of tape over the webcam as well, since a virus flipped it on, on my other computer.   I don't see why anybody other than myself would need the type of information that is collected.  That's my business and my business alone. These corporations don't need to flood me with advertisements. They already know what I buy when I go to the grocery stores when I spend money.

myk

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 02, 2014, 04:26:30 AM

There's actually a new "Terminator" movie being made right now.  They're going back to like the 1960s and rewriting everything on a new timeline.  They also revisit some scenes from the earlier movies like in "Back to the Future II".

I don't like the new direction this new Terminator movie is heading; they're making Sara Connor out to be some teenage recluse who is actually raised by a T 800 Terminator.  Cameron had it right and they should leave it alone.

Anyway looks like 1984 has finally arrived...

Mike DC

QuoteI don't see why anybody other than myself would need the type of information that is collected.  That's my business and my business alone. These corporations don't need to flood me with advertisements. They already know what I buy when I go to the grocery stores when I spend money.

It's like asking how much tax money would satisfy the govt.  These things keep growing until they are forcibly stopped. 

I don't like the new direction this new Terminator movie is heading; they're making Sara Connor out to be some teenage recluse who is actually raised by a T 800 Terminator.  Cameron had it right and they should leave it alone.

I'm open to the possibility that it might not suck. 

If they can't leave the franchise alone then at least this is a bit different.  They've done the existing formula to death. 

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on November 01, 2014, 10:25:12 PM
Skynet has become self aware. :Twocents:

Yes, that part has already been accomplished....

Now to the fun stuff:

It is now time to add self-replicating AI nanobots into the equation to make life a bit more interesting for us....

;)
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......