News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cracked 440 block

Started by nge, November 27, 2013, 12:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stretch

Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 29, 2013, 10:29:03 AM
"High dollar race blocks are welded back together all the time. I welded a cracked 2.2 in my shelby daytona turbo 2 car"
I don't think that 2.2 is a High dollar race blocks.  To fix a crack, imo is to drill the beginning and the end of the crack and weld it up...Or get a better engine year other than 78.

I didn't say a 2.2 was a high dollar race block. It was just an example. The block in my daytona was a 2nd example.  Sorry to miss lead.
I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Tilar on November 29, 2013, 05:25:30 PM
I wouldn't think so with being driven just 6 miles but he's probably going to have to pull it out to get a good weld on it anyway... Might be worth pulling the pan and maybe the heads to check it out.   :shruggy:

I completely cooked one while driving it under 5 minutes...but mine was pretty well bone dry....maybe he was lucky and had a little in there.

nge

I was running Evans coolant and Amzoil 10w40. Dont know if thats what saved the engine, but I do know that I put 10 more miles on it
since the repair. Still Looking for a new block

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

nge

Yes it leaks...barely the crack gets wet after it heats up.  You can see where the leak has cleaned the block around the crack.
(if I drive it locally, I just have watch my fluid level every trip)

Tilar

If you plan to change the block anyway, Get it hot and pour a full can of black pepper down the radiator. That will seal the crack. I used to use liquid glass but some types of antifreeze will eat that stuff up and I'm not even sure you can buy it anymore. Even if you do decide to repair it, all you gotta do is flush the block before you put it back in service.
Dave  

ACUDANUT

Quote from: nge on December 02, 2013, 03:43:27 PM
Yes it leaks...barely the crack gets wet after it heats up.  You can see where the leak has cleaned the block around the crack.

Are you talking about the same spot you circled earlier ?

nge

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 03, 2013, 04:20:54 PM

Not sure I understand the question.... The fist leak that caused men problems was the blown freeze plug.  The crack may have always been therem but it was undsicuvered until we had to spend some time looking at that area of the block.

nge

Quote from: Tilar on December 03, 2013, 04:07:23 PM
If you plan to change the block anyway, Get it hot and pour a full can of black pepper down the radiator. That will seal the crack. I used to use liquid glass but some types of antifreeze will eat that stuff up and I'm not even sure you can buy it anymore. Even if you do decide to repair it, all you gotta do is flush the block before you put it back in service.
I will try that, beacuse I will eventually go with a new block........but tell me more about the pepper?  Are you talking about a standard size can used in the kitchen?  As an engineer, I very interested to know what the pepper does to plug the crack.  I love learning new stuff!

Old Moparz

Seems like the easiest thing to do is track down another block & go from there. One thing I'd still do first though, is to have the cracked block looked at by a machine shop & then make the final decision. Used blocks are for sale all the time & range in price from $100 up to several hundred if the seller pushes it as "Date Coded" or deciphers the VIN from a rare car.

There is one on ebay right now for $200.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

ACUDANUT

Quote from: nge on December 04, 2013, 09:13:17 AM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 03, 2013, 04:20:54 PM

Not sure I understand the question.... The fist leak that caused men problems was the blown freeze plug.  The crack may have always been therem but it was undsicuvered until we had to spend some time looking at that area of the block.

Sorry that was meant for a different, but similar thread.
Pepper has never helped me in any automotive fix.... :Twocents:

Ranman69SE

It's been five years now that I've been driving my GTO with a repaired block, no problems (knocking on wood!).   
'69 Charger SE 493
'65 Pontiac GTO 6.5 Liter Tripower 4-spd convertible
'78 Ford F250 4x4 SuperCab 460
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'91 Yamaha FJ1200

Tilar

Quote from: nge on December 04, 2013, 09:18:24 AM
Quote from: Tilar on December 03, 2013, 04:07:23 PM
I will try that, beacuse I will eventually go with a new block........but tell me more about the pepper?  Are you talking about a standard size can used in the kitchen?  As an engineer, I very interested to know what the pepper does to plug the crack.  I love learning new stuff!

Yep, just a large kitchen size. The black pepper swells up and fills in the crack.
Dave