News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Strange thing happened to me walking into work one day

Started by 69rtse4spd, December 06, 2013, 12:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69rtse4spd

Picked up a one owner 69 Charger S.E. 383 4-speed car last Sunday. Guy bought it new on 12/20/1968 in Anderson, Ind. been sitting in his garage since 82, was last plated year. My buddy Pat went down with me to get it & took Pict's, a true garage find. Told him he will have to post Pict's on the sites. He said he was going to send them to M.C.G. & M.C.R., for their barn find section, found the build sheet in perfect shape. Long story short, it has to do with one co-worker telling me about another whose father in-law had a 69 Charger for sale. Well it was an interesting story (to long to type out), lasting a couple of days of nail bitting. So here is the fender tag, so it can be put in the 69 Registry also. When Troy or Chris get in touch with me, will give them the rest.
L31  M21  M31  N85  R22  V1F
AO1  A47  C16  C55  G33  J25
     A4  CRG  F8  A18  125148
E63  D21  XP29  H9B  XXXXXX

Still need to talk Brent (son in-law) to ask Ray (the owner) if he ordered it this way or what. Car has the AM-eight track, rear speaker switch, Tic-Toc-Tach, manual steering & drums all the around. Early built car because no head rest, but funny thing is, for an S.E. dose not have the wood grain dash overlay. Could this be on early builds only or maybe a line mix up. :shruggy:.   

myk

Congratulations.  No story is too long for us when it involves a Charger.  Have your friend send you the 'pics and use photobucket.com to post them up...

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

fy469rtse

:popcrn: :popcrn: yes I will be waiting, do I see the se option on tag, waiting for photos

y3chargerrt

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

66FBCharger

'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Bob T

Well done, what a find, looking forward to some pics here too.
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

remta1

69rtse4spd

Will call Pat later, use the computer at work myself. Asked Brent to ask Ray about no wood grain on dash since it being an S.E., also try and get some background on the car when he bought it off the lot. There was another tag under the fender tag, this one just had the number 15 stamped on it, any guess to what that means. :shruggy:

JB400

I guess I'll get in line while the line is still short and there's still popcorn

:popcrn:

69rtse4spd

Well Pat belongs on for B-Bodies site, told him to join this site so he could post Pict's. Coming over tomorrow with John to help push the car out & get turned around, & back so we can squeeze it past the 70 & get on the lift. I know all you guys love a good story, but I really hate to type a lot. And besides, if one of the mags. do use it in their barn find section, don't want to give the whole story away on the web. I also want to document with photos of the origanal title with owners name (before I have transfer to me) & the build sheet. And there in-lies the 64 dollar ?, if I decide to sell it down the road dose it devalue the car since I would be the second owner or not. The motor is stuck (how bad not sure) will soak for awhile & see what happens. They took the vinyl top off years ago, & primered the roof, which is good because the roof is in great shape. For sitten inside a garage all those years I could not believe that the head liner has no holes in it, guess the mice didn't like the green color or the other houses in the area were a better hotel. About the only thing I need for the car is a correct carb, seams one of the neighbors stole it long ago, just need the right build date. Well that about enough typing for now  :lol: one more thing found a F70-14 red line tire in the trunk. Got some ware on the inside edge & the red paint is a little faded but still thought it was cool.   

69rtse4spd

For anyone that is or knows someone who would be interested , Ray also had an all origanal 1940 Ford two door flat head V-8 on the other side of the garage. No rust that I could see or any damage, Ray popped the hood & it was all there. He bought it back in 1954 from a guy that had two of them for sale. One was chopped with a Caddy motor & this stock one. Guy asked Ray (was a young man at time) if he wanted the Hot Rod, Ray said nope, wants the stocker, got it for 500.00. Have no idea what he wants for it but for serious inquires could pass alone their phone number to Brent his son in law.
Pat & Eddie came over on Sat. we got the Charger pushed out & turned around. Pushed her back in & on the lift & wow no rust under it, solid floors, frame rails are perfect. Pulled the trunk mat out, heavy scaling, saw two small holes, but will need to pull the tank & look underneath. Pat took bunch of Pict's, yea I know, but since I use computer at work, don't think they will let me post Pict's (G.M.) might be a little funny about that. Told Pat again to join this site, so hopefully soon he will. Of course Eddie like just get it road worthy & leave the body like it is. Has a dent in the drivers side rear quarter above the marker, in the body line near the end of quarter. I would like to see if a good body man could get most if not all of it out & just put lower patches in, keep as much of the origanal metal as possible. Would defiantly paint the A4, love that color, but do not know about outting the green top back on. I suppose that would depend on how odd the combo is, then again I am not much into green tops. Pat (Mr. B Body) should also post the Pict's over on For B-BODIES only site since he belongs there to.   

69rtse4spd

Talked to Brent today who asked his father in law over the weekend. Had him ask Ray if he ordered the Charger or not, Ray told him he ordered the car from the dealer, in that color combo. Does anybody know if when you ordered the AM-eight track in the A47 package would you still get the wood grain on the dash, radio & glove box, or not. Pat & I are thinking that maybe they didn't have the package ready for early built cars, or just not available with the A47 package. Any insight will be most appreciated.

Ghoste

69_500

Just basing this on the production date of October 18, but it definitely should have wood grain. That's a full 2 months into the production run. The 500's that I have seen that were SE and built before this one had wood grain dashes.

chargerboy69

Pictures Jeff. . . pictures. Don't make me drive over there.

PM heading your way.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

69rtse4spd

Well Brent said he ordered it, & came in that way, just wounder if they were out or had supply problem that day. Just like here at the truck plant, keep the line running at all cost. Maybe they were going to change it out in the back repair area but it got shipped anyway. :shruggy:. Would the build sheet specify it or just have the A47 code. I could put the plates in but the only one I don't have is for the 8-track, does anyone re-pop them. This may be one of those Mopar mystery's that may never be answered. That could be a new poll, leave it the way it came or put the wood grain in it. :scratchchin:. Time to head home, talk to you all later.

Ghoste

I'd go with the supply shortage hypothesis (I worked in a truck plant once too so know all about the line never stops bit)(what plant are you at?).  I'd have to check but I think the build sheet does not list it separate from the package in this case. 
As for changing it, I'd be tempted to leave it as is.  Especially if you can find day two photos that can back it up.  It'll drive us purists nuts.  (I'm actually more like a semi purist but that stuff fascinates me all the same) :icon_smile_big:

chargerboy69

Quote from: Ghoste on December 12, 2013, 06:48:06 AM
I'd go with the supply shortage hypothesis (I worked in a truck plant once too so know all about the line never stops bit)(what plant are you at?).  I'd have to check but I think the build sheet does not list it separate from the package in this case. 
As for changing it, I'd be tempted to leave it as is.  Especially if you can find day two photos that can back it up.  It'll drive us purists nuts.  (I'm actually more like a semi purist but that stuff fascinates me all the same) :icon_smile_big:

He is at the GM truck plant in Fort Wayne. He has one of the good jobs you don't give up once you get it.  :yesnod:
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

69_500

If they changed radios anywhere along the way I would think they might have swapped rest of dash panel as SE dash trim has never been that easy to locate extras of.

69rtse4spd

Thanks Tim, is a good job, will have to have Brent ask Ray if he has any day two Pict's. The parts are not hard to find, stripped out a few S.E. in the day, got a complete S.E. dash in the barn, not an 8-track though. Will probably leave it just the way it is, love to drive purist nuts (all in good fun).

69rtse4spd

Quote from: 69rtse4spd on December 12, 2013, 09:28:38 PM
Thanks Tim, is a good job, will have to have Brent ask Ray if he has any day two Pict's. The parts are not hard to find, stripped out a few S.E. in the day, got a complete S.E. dash in the barn, not an 8-track though. Will probably leave it just the way it is, love to drive purist nuts (all in good fun).

P.S. Tim you can come down anytime.

BigRed70RT

Finally I can post pictures.

69rtse4spd

Come on Pat I know you took more than that  ;D. Never fear he has lots more.

JB400

Welcome to the forum BigRed, and thanks for sharing :cheers:

Ghoste

Welcome to the group BigRed, that is an excellent start.  Looking forward to seeing how this car progresses.

BigRed70RT

Okay some more.

Ghoste

tan top

Quote from: BigRed70RT on December 12, 2013, 10:17:24 PM
Finally I can post pictures.

hello & welcome   :cheers: :cheers: :scope:  thanks for sharing the pictures  , looking forward to seeing more as & when  :cheers: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 

BigRed70RT

Jeff and I told the owners that we were saving the car from becoming another General Lee clone.

Dino

Quote from: BigRed70RT on December 13, 2013, 10:03:07 AM
Jeff and I told the owners that we were saving the car from becoming another General Lee clone.

That's what I told the previous owner of my car, never heard such a big sigh of relief.  I think that's why he gave me such a good deal on it.   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

b5blue

Darn good starting point!  :2thumbs: Best of luck to ya BigRed!!  :cheers:
  I mean 69rtse4sp!!  :lol:

BigRed70RT

It's not my car.  I don't have any '69 Chargers (that's Jeff's car (1969RTSE4SPD))  I'll start a welcome thread to show my '70 RT.

b5blue

Ghoste

Ah, it was a little confusing there for a moment but its all clear now.

69rtse4spd

Quote from: Ghoste on December 13, 2013, 08:25:44 AM
I notice the big cb antenna on the back ala DOH.

I took it off when I cleaned out the trunk.

BigRed70RT

More pictures.

BigRed70RT

Last ones.

moparfan53

Quote from: 69rtse4spd on December 06, 2013, 04:54:25 PM
Will call Pat later, use the computer at work myself. Asked Brent to ask Ray about no wood grain on dash since it being an S.E., also try and get some background on the car when he bought it off the lot. There was another tag under the fender tag, this one just had the number 15 stamped on it, any guess to what that means. :shruggy:.  

Wow! Great find  :2thumbs: Thanks for sharing.

If your #15 tag is like the ones below, I have one on my '69 Charger also. The pics below are from cars I have seen for sale online. I believe they are inspector/inspection tags. I welcome input from anyone who has more info (were they used in certain plants, years etc?)

If memory serves me correctly from the 1969 Charger Registry, there were fewer 383/4spd Chargers built than 440/RT/4spds. I think the numbers were 3579 383/4spd and 3601 440/4spd Chargers. Hopefully the registry will be back up soon so I can confirm that.
Hint, hint Ghoste! ;D ;)

Let me say one more time, great car. It is probably rarer than some people realize, especially with the SE option. I think about 20-25% of production were SE's. Again, the numbers were on the '69registry.

Over the 30+ years of being a 68-70 Charger fan I have never seen a '69 SE without the woodgrain dash, but as they say, never say never.

As you know, more pics always welcome!

-Alan

:cheers:

resq302

Your number on the 383 / 4 spd chargers sounds correct.   I have one of those 3579 or so!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Ghoste

Quote from: moparfan53 on December 14, 2013, 12:17:13 AMHopefully the registry will be back up soon so I can confirm that.
Hint, hint Ghoste! ;D ;)

I've started working on it now so it should re-appear soon.

JB400

Quote from: Ghoste on December 14, 2013, 08:47:02 AM
Quote from: moparfan53 on December 14, 2013, 12:17:13 AMHopefully the registry will be back up soon so I can confirm that.
Hint, hint Ghoste! ;D ;)

I've started working on it now so it should re-appear soon.
:popcrn:

Bob T

Looks pretty solid under there from those hoist shots, good!
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

tan top

Quote from: Bob T on December 26, 2013, 06:48:57 PM
Looks pretty solid under there from those hoist shots, good!

:scope: :iagree:   looks good from the pictures  :2thumbs: :popcrn:

Charger Stuff 

69rtse4spd

Thanks, it's hard to tell in the side shots but has a dent in the drivers quarter at the end. Talked to a body shop guy that I trust today, he will stop out & look at it one day, want to save as much as the original sheet metal as possible. If he can't pull most of it out then maybe he could recommend someone. Pat knows a body guy that's good but that's down the road. Need to get Pat back over & take more Pict's of the trunk, & dents to see what you all think. Sent the last numbers of the Vin to Ghost for the 69 registry, & offered info off the build sheet if he needed it as well. Still don't know if I would ever put the green top back on it, need someone to photo shop a green top on a silver 69 to see what it would look like  :shruggy:. Maybe after dinner I may just type out the story of the car since I have a lot of time tonight.