News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

any help or ideas please

Started by jadedpast1982, December 03, 2013, 03:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jadedpast1982

First I would like to say thank you in advanced for all your posts. Now I personally don't know much about cars, but I am about to purchase a 1973 charger off Craig's list. I have pics and the body is in real good shape. I want to buy this to restore with my father who was a mechanic for years and also with my son. Sort if a bonding/learning experience for all of us. But here is where I need your help. As this is going to be a surprise for my father I can't get the info from him and Google was little to no help. The charger is complete except engine and transmission. I'm not sure what was in the vehicle originally but could I put an automatic transmission in it if it originally was a manual? What would I need to change over? If I could make it an auto which engine and trans combo should I go with? If I have to or decide to make it a manual which engine trans combo would be best. Again thank you for your time and posts.

Patronus

Yes you can switch to an auto trans. You would also need the cross member and a drive shaft. If you can, post a pic of the engine bay so we can determine if its a small or big block car.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

wingcar

Much easier going from a manual to automatic rather than the other way around.  I did it many years ago with a B-body that was a 4-speed...I installed an auto and even made a shifter that mounted in the original 4-speed opening.
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

maxwellwedge

You must have the VIN number - that will identify the original engine size.

ODZKing

Can it be done, yes.  Is it a simple swap, no.
I don't believe they had manual column shift in 73 so the console would have to be changed as well.

Jdwicked

If your gonna go automatic i would would recommend a 440 with a 727  :yesnod: the extra power is nice when using an auto trans but really 440 is the most popular mopar engine so there's lots of parts and info on them is just a sold all around motor and they are readily available in all types of set ups from factory spec to stroked out monsters making more power then any street car will ever need. and as for the 727 it's just built like a tank hard to go wrong with that combo

ODZKing