News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What a crappy day!

Started by b5blue, December 02, 2013, 06:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

Some may recall I've been looking for a welder to do floor foot well replacement on my 70 Charger. For various reasons all shops with great recommendations from my friends never panned out for me. I was looking into buying a welder to do it myself despite the fact that in could bring the Home Owners Ass. down on me. Griping at work about it and looking for leads I ran into John at work. (John is a real "car guy.")  "Let me give you Bill's number he does all my work" So yesterday Bill comes over and basically for 800 he'll do just what I want the way I want it kinda describing all the advise everyone here suggested. (And can start Monday afternoon!)
  So today my boss lets me off at 12:30 I call my buddy Bob (Retired) for a ride back to the house, we decide he can can meet at my place and follow me to Bill's shop as I'm kinda fuzzy on the exact location in an industrial park. Great WOW it's all falling together, off early, a real auto body welder with a shop set up for it, my buddy Bob for wing man and next weekend I can start interior repairs!
  Well....I lost Bob on the way at a red light so I slowed down to crawling speed for awhile and the Charger stalled. Wouldn't restart, coasted to a stop at the blind end of a sweeping turn just after another light. Still no restart and now all the jerks who speed in the slow lane whip around the curve then slam on the brakes or cut the other lane off. I quickly try a shot of starting fluid in the air cleaner....WTF no start! Decide way by now Bob should have found me and call him, he's passed me up by a mile and starts heading back so I call AAA. Unknown to me they dispatch a truck.....to a location in Tennessee...to bad I'm in Florida. After 45 minutes and countless close calls I realize the traffic is so loud you can't hear a phone ringing. Anyway 2 hours after leaving my house a flatbed get's me to Bills shop for what was a 15 minute drive. I'm a mess, I'll flatbed the Charger back to my home for fixing after the welding is done in two days!
  The car has not been used much the last 24 months but always ran fine, sweet and steady. At this point I don't even care what went wrong I'm just glad nobody plowed into the back of the Charger, Bobs car, The Fire Dept. pickup or the sheriff  who showed up right before the flat bed go me out of there!   

charge69

MAN,   that WAS a crappy day!   I can't give you any advice on what went wrong but it has to be something in the electrical circuit.  Had to be VERY scary just sitting there waiting for the wrecker. Glad the Charger wasn't hit and you weren't killed!  Sure hope you can find out the problem and solution quickly when you get it home!

b5blue

Thanks I'm checking my Carter M4845 fuel pump first, I had one crap out after sitting around with this darn ethanol mix gas in it. It's possible that the octane boost I used helped it fail. The pump is 2 years old this month.  :scratchchin: (With very little use.)

XH29N0G

It has to get better from here.  Sorry to hear about your day. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

myk

Reminds me when I first got my Charger and I struggled for months to make it a dependable daily driver; hang in there bud, you and your car will get there eventually...

JB400

Even the best things start out crappy.  I'm just glad there was no collateral damage and all is well.  :pity: :2thumbs:

polywideblock

glad you and the car are ok
check ballast and ecu ,i'v had this happen to me just stoped and would not restart first time was ballast second time bad ecu (orange )

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

ACUDANUT

Quote from: b5blue on December 02, 2013, 07:50:04 PM
Thanks I'm checking my Carter M4845 fuel pump first, I had one crap out after sitting around with this darn ethanol mix gas in it. It's possible that the octane boost I used helped it fail. The pump is 2 years old this month.  :scratchchin: (With very little use.)

If it won't run on either, no fuel pump will help.

myk

Just wait until you start having bulkhead-connector issues... ::)

Fred

Bummer, I don't envy you.  I got a mobile phone for that very reason when I first got my car on the road and  was still ironing out the bugs only to find when I did break down, I had no signal. I was pleased that it happened on a straight stretch of road and that I was able to park it on the shoulder.
And best of all, a neighbour just happened by, spotted me and stopped to assist.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

b5blue

Thanks for the moral support guys!  :2thumbs:

tan top

damn murphys law , glad you & the charger ok !!  typical eh  , get it all planed out , then that happens , thought things like that only happened to me  :icon_smile_blackeye:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

b5blue

Ya couldn't have pulled a pin out of my butt with a tractor yesterday! I just kept expecting some texting ding-bat in a big uninsured SUV to slam Bobs tiny Subaru into my Charger!

projectanimal

That sucks..... It is the worst feeling and something I dread as we get our car road worthy.   
When we had our car flatbeded home after paint and body, as soon as it was on the ground it wouldnt start.... More embarrassing than Dangerous as it was In Front of our house, but I couldnt figure out the issue.... The after market shifter was all exposed and the dust from all the body sanding had created a film between the neutral switch.... After an hour of messing around I was cleaning everything that looked dirty and .. VRroooooom... She fired right up.   

Glad to hear no accident was created by the car stalling and look forward to your progress pictures when it returns!  :2thumbs:
northwest CT

ACUDANUT

What really sucks is when it won't start in front of a parts store, and everyone has gathered around to see and hear it run.  :brickwall:

FJMG

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 03, 2013, 01:29:55 PM
What really sucks is when it won't start in front of a parts store, and everyone has gathered around to see and hear it run.  :brickwall:

Just lost a mouthful of coffee on that one!

I think we should all record the sound of when we fire up our cars, then, at a parts store or car show when it will not start, plug the recordong into a portable player with good speakers! Hopefully the crowd would thin some so you can begin diagnosing. :smilielol:

myk

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 03, 2013, 01:29:55 PM
What really sucks is when it won't start in front of a parts store, and everyone has gathered around to see and hear it run.  :brickwall:
[/quote

Lol yup-been there, done that...

b5blue

Well the car is home, the flatbed was an hour late...again lost. The work is acceptable all things given with remarkable speed. I'll find the problem with starting and running soon I'm sure, just glad that this part is done!   :2thumbs: