News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

R/T clones

Started by hydroforce2, December 02, 2013, 10:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Ghoste on January 04, 2014, 06:55:52 AM
On your broadcast sheet you will see a section for brakes with two categories.  If there is a 31 in the part for "HD or Disc", then you had 11 inch from the start.
There is "31" in that little box.  :woohoo:  Is that a rare option on non R/T cars?

Quote from: Troy on January 04, 2014, 12:03:20 PM
Quote from: Mopar Nut on January 04, 2014, 04:00:17 AM
Quote from: Troy on December 03, 2013, 12:12:20 PM
No, R/Ts got upgraded to 11" drums, HD torsion bars and staggered rear leaf springs. The 383 had the same torsion bars and 10" drums as a small block. All R/T's would have had at least an 8 3/4" rear axle with a Dana available.

Troy

My 383 came with 11" drums on all fours, what would it say on the broadcast sheet to confirm it?
I suppose someone could order anything they wanted but, if they didn't, then the "standard equipment" on a 383 Charger would have been 10" drums, small torsion bars, and the normal rear spring pack. See Ghoste's post about the build sheet. I believe your fender tag would likely also indicate that the car was special ordered. I doubt the dealer was ordering cars with upgraded brakes just for fun.

Troy

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Ghoste

It's not a common one.

flyboyedwards

My XP car will most likely become what I "would've" ordered if I were the one standing at a dealership in late 68.
The car is already a BB, 4 speed, Dana car. Will I put the RT badges on it? Perhaps. Perhaps not. I have them and love them all. If I did install them, the ONLY thing that would prove that it wasn't a true RT would be the paperwork and the P instead of the S in the VIN. I would NEVER try to lie about it being a real RT, but I WOULD point out how it so very closely mirrored it's coveted big brother!
In a similar topic of discussion, I was recently told that my car wasn't even worth restoring (by a mopar purist) because it wasn't an RT. I really have to say I totally disagree. Sure, my car needs quarters and trunk floors and I may have paid too much, but it was the car that fit my "mission statement" and budget at the time.
Any thoughts?

Troy

Lots of cars have been brought back that were deemed worthless by the elites. Tell them where they can stick it! There is a distinction between a "concourse restoration" and building a nice car for yourself (and a HUGE range of stuff in between). The biggest difference is about 4-10 times the cost! Trying to build a car that earns Gold in a major OE event means date-coded NOS parts, extreme labor hours, and sometimes even manufacturing parts that no longer exist. An average guy just wants shiny paint and chrome along with parts that look mostly right. That same guy that will turn his nose up as a "base" car would do exactly the same if he knew your R/T had reproduction parts on it so you can't win! Build what you want within your budget and time constraints. If people only restored the rare cars there would be significantly fewer cars on the road. Not to mention, if you go all out on your super rare car would you even want to drive it when finished? You can't!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

If he says your car isn't worth restoring just because it isn't an RT then I would say he isn't a purist, he's a fool.
It costs the same to restore an RT or a 318 car for the most part and yes, one might be worth more to the general public in dollars after.  But this is a hobby not an investment stunt.  You are making the right choice.