News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

R/T clones

Started by hydroforce2, December 02, 2013, 10:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69wannabe

I got the R/T badges on my factory 383 charger. I do have the R/T leaf springs and the R/T torsion bars and a 493 cubic inch engine under the hood. The only thing that isn't to R/T specs is the 23 spline 4 speed tranny that works great still. If it ever dies I will replace it with an 18 spline tho. I always tell anyone that asks that it is an R/T clone. No sense in telling a lie. I just like the R/T badges on there over the base charger badges. At a ball park HP of 525 I figure it deserves some R/T badges!! ;D

DAY CLONA

Quote from: cdr on December 02, 2013, 11:00:00 AM
Its kinda funny,its ok to build a clone wing car,but putting r/t badges on a xp car seems to be mostly, NOT APPROVED  :smilielol:  :stirthepot:

Then I have committed many sins :icon_smile_big: my 70 "R/T Daytona" clone, originally came off the assembly line as an SE, but  wears an XH VIN :scratchchin: :angel:

HeavyFuel

In my neck of the woods there is a group of musicians that call themselves "Hairball".  They're a tribute band to big hair rock and roll groups.......Kiss, Van Halen, AC/DC, Poison, Def Leppard, Alice Cooper.......you get the idea.

They're awesome performers.   They look just like the original groups (make-up, attire), and sound just as good, maybe better, than the originals.

I've gone to see 'em several times.....it's a blast.....everyone has a great time, and no one has a second thought about the fact that what you're seeing is an imitation of the original.  It's a tribute, and a superb one at that.

But the one thing you can't do the next day is say that you saw KISS, etc.....the real thing. 

Is it a good time?   Sure.   Were they great?  You betcha.  Was it worth going?  Absolutely.

But it wasn't the real thing.

VegasCharger

Do what you want, my 68 XP29 is NOT going to have R/T badges.

:cheers:

War wagon

My 69 was already cloned when I bought it. Originally a 383 4bbl SE car.
I intend to remove the RT badges and replace with pendants like the car would have had originally.
My car is a stripe delete car, considering removing the stripe as well. Might repaint the  car down the road and leave the stripe off.

It's my understanding and please correct me if I'm wrong but ALL 383 chargers received the same brakes, suspension etc as the RT's and the only difference is the badge on a 383 car??

If I had a real RT I'd prolly still remove the badges, I'm a big fan of sleepers...
How much of a sleeper any 69 charger can be I dunno LOL

The most important badge on my car is the one that says CHARGER  :cheers:

Charger-Bodie

I don't have a problem with clones of any kind,as long as they are cloned all the way. Not just emblems.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dreamcar

No RT badges for my non-RT, but it may end up with some RT drivetrain parts.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

cdr

Quote from: DAY CLONA on December 02, 2013, 11:49:10 PM
Quote from: cdr on December 02, 2013, 11:00:00 AM
Its kinda funny,its ok to build a clone wing car,but putting r/t badges on a xp car seems to be mostly, NOT APPROVED  :smilielol:  :stirthepot:

Then I have committed many sins :icon_smile_big: my 70 "R/T Daytona" clone, originally came off the assembly line as an SE, but  wears an XH VIN :scratchchin: :angel:

LOVE IT !!!!  DAY CLONA   :yesnod:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

hydroforce2

Definitely a lot of valued opinions here. I'm still up in the air about what to do.
To be a correct clone, what else do i need?
1968 Dodge Charger - 383 4 speed
1968 Dodge Charger - 383 auto
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 6" lift
2005 Dodge Rumble Bee - #3517 Black 4x4

JMF

My non RT 68 had an RT badge on when I bought it but I switched back to the regular one

mopar0166

Since mines a dated coded r/t clone,  Um yeah its on

hydroforce2

so what makes it a clone?
1968 Dodge Charger - 383 4 speed
1968 Dodge Charger - 383 auto
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 6" lift
2005 Dodge Rumble Bee - #3517 Black 4x4

69chargerboy

Quote from: hydroforce2 on December 03, 2013, 10:23:09 AM
Definitely a lot of valued opinions here. I'm still up in the air about what to do.
To be a correct clone, what else do i need?

Typically you would need a 440 or Hemi engine, dual exhaust, Sure grip 8 3/4 or Dana Rear end, upgraded Suspension ex: torsion bars, leaf springs, etc... if this is a drum brake car, R/T's had either 11" drums or discs in the front and 10" drums for the rear. The R/T badging of course on the grille and tail panel. Either rear R/T stripe or stripe delete with the R/T rear fender emblem. I may be missing something, I'm sure someone will correct me..  :icon_smile_big:
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

69chargerboy

Quote from: chargerboy69 on December 02, 2013, 01:51:18 PM
I have them on my car.  I guess it is my car, my money, I will do what I want with it.  The badges look cool, but I really like the stripe on Chargers.

If they don't like it, don't look at it. Plenty of others out there to see.

:cheers:
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

Troy

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on December 02, 2013, 09:42:47 PM
if dodge thinks its ok to put R/T badges on a caravan, the LEAST you can do is slap them on an XP car  :lol:
Sadly, most of the newer cars (even minivans) will outrun most XP cars.

Quote from: War wagon on December 03, 2013, 07:59:27 AM
I intend to remove the RT badges and replace with pendants like the car would have had originally.
My car is a stripe delete car, considering removing the stripe as well. Might repaint the  car down the road and leave the stripe off.

It's my understanding and please correct me if I'm wrong but ALL 383 chargers received the same brakes, suspension etc as the RT's and the only difference is the badge on a 383 car??

If I had a real RT I'd prolly still remove the badges, I'm a big fan of sleepers...

No, R/Ts got upgraded to 11" drums, HD torsion bars and staggered rear leaf springs. The 383 had the same torsion bars and 10" drums as a small block. All R/T's would have had at least an 8 3/4" rear axle with a Dana available.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on December 02, 2013, 04:17:25 PM
A similar analogy can be made with women & their bolt-on fake boobs.

Maybe so, but with the bolt-ons, the benefits are far more tangible, one would think  :scratchchin:

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Troy on December 03, 2013, 12:12:20 PM
if dodge thinks its ok to put R/T badges on a caravan, the LEAST you can do is slap them on an XP car  :lol:

No, R/Ts got upgraded to 11" drums, HD torsion bars and staggered rear leaf springs. The 383 had the same torsion bars and 10" drums as a small block. All R/T's would have had at least an 8 3/4" rear axle with a Dana available.

Troy

I was shocked how fast that mini-van was.  Glad I did not race him.

Sublime/Sixpack

The R/T would have also come with a 150 mph speedometer.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Dans 68

All Charger's had the 150 mph speedo. In fact the entire dash had the same gauges.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

ACUDANUT

Dang, I thought everyone knew that. Same goes for 71/72.

Challenger340

Nowadays, it's your Car ..... and do whatever makes you happy !

Back in the Day....different mindset in the 70's etc., people were pretty brand specific and loyal.......it was considered sacrilegious by many Mopar enthusiasts to put "R/T" emblems on a 318 car... lest you get your doors blown off by a 327 Camaro at some point....dis-honoring the rest of the Clan !
Seems the times have reversed ?
I knew guys back in those days that would remove "emblems" from their Cars..."HEMI" etc.,....play "Sleeper" and bait..... just so they could trounce BB Chevelles at stoplights....waaay more fun !
Lotsa Guys did it....4 dr Chevelle with cheater slicks sportin a 427....etc., etc. street racing was fun ! like that Forrest guy said....life was like a box O choclates ...just never knew what ur gonna git.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: Dans 68 on December 03, 2013, 01:54:14 PM
All Charger's had the 150 mph speedo. In fact the entire dash had the same gauges.

Dan

Opps, must have been thinking of the Coronet R/T's speedo.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

6pkrtse

My Challenger is only a A66 340 car originally. It now has all of the R/T emblems & stripe. So flame away. Stripe going back on here.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

War wagon

Quote from: Troy on December 03, 2013, 12:12:20 PM

Troy

Thanks for the info :cheers: I had no idea the rear brakes where smaller.
I've already swapped my 8 3/4 for a Dana and swapped brakes to 4 wheel discs
Now if I can just get rid of the Chevy leaf springs the former owner had installed....

I'm with the others that have said " it's your car, build it how you want" just don't try and pass off a clone as a legit R/T

charge69

Build them like you want to. Put the badging on and let it look like an old R/T. If you are going with a big block, change out the torsion bars, brakes and rear end also, more for safety than anything else. A MOPAR enthusiast will definitely notice the "XP" instead of XS in the VIN so, please do not BS anyone that it is a real R/T.