News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What car had the first hood scoop?

Started by b5blue, November 29, 2013, 06:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

Indygenerallee

should make it tough and state "REAL FRESH AIR SCOOP" or "FAKE SCOOP"!!!  :icon_smile_big: :2thumbs:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Ghoste

Packard Caribbeans from the mid 50's also.  The Dodge D-500 had a fresh air intake at the front of the hood-same era.  I'm sure it predates that but I'm drawing a blank now.
Ferrari had them from early and before the T-bird.

Indygenerallee

Im with Ghoste, I don't know but I would imagine Ferrari's would have the earliest "fresh air scoops"
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

JB400

We need a refined question.  Cars in the 20's and 30's had 3 or 4 piece hoods that had louvers and scoops for various reasons.

But, here's a nice site that list a few cars

http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/feature-stories/american-fiberglass-cars-and-the-first-postwar-american-hood-scoop/

Ghoste

And I'm having trouble placing it but I'm sure there is something even before that, something from the 30's or possibly even the 20's.  Allards had them I believe but that doesn't go far enough back.  :scratchchin: :think:

b5blue

I think the 56 Ford H.D. (BIG) trucks had a real deal functioning scoop, but that's truck not car. (Later used on S.D. Pontiac's.)  :scratchchin: The T Bird had a block off plate so it could be functional.   :scratchchin: I don't want to "refine" the question and eliminate possible true "scoops" even if they were not very advantageous. (Something other that an air intake for the interior or pure decoration.)   

rt green

third string oil changer