News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mopar Performance distributor kit

Started by Ghoste, November 29, 2013, 07:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I caught a blurb here quickly that MP was no longer making its electronic conversion kits.  Was that a Fiat decision or did Mallory get out of it?  Is Mallory still making them if it was Fiat?

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Or couldn't find one, I think they were building them in Mexico weren't they?

UFO

According to a mopar action article recently they suffer from spark scatter that is not fixable.

Ghoste

Oh really?  Always or beginning when?

Charger-Bodie

last one I got from MP was made by Pro-form
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ghoste

Charger-Bodie

It was about a year and a half ago . If I remember right,my ability to track time sometimes wavers anymore.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Ghoste

Interesting, I never even knew Pro Form made distributors.

b5blue

How can you tell, I got one a few years ago but ended up getting a stock one set up for me by Don at FBO. Now the Mopar Performance one sits in the box after less than 200 miles on the car.  :scratchchin:

UFO

The whole story is in the Feb '14 Mopar Action.

Ghoste

So was it the Mallory advance design causing the scatter?

UFO

Quote from: Ghoste on November 29, 2013, 10:57:10 PM
So was it the Mallory advance design causing the scatter?

Ghoste

That explains some things.  Thanks UFO.

myk

I bought that kit in '94; who made those versions?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Ghoste

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1974dodgecharger

Ok, I guess I better ditch mine then and now opt for something else.

Ghoste

Contact Firefighter about the Firecore stuff.  That will be my next choice.

firefighter3931

I just read the Mopar Action article. I've used the newer MP distributor in the past and it worked in my application but both the mechanical advance and vacuum advance were disabled. The distributor was locked out. Based on that I can't comment on the spark scatter issue from a personal perspective but i have seen some erratic timing on other car's i've helped to tune. It can be frustrating swapping out springs and resetting/adjusting mechanical advance with marginal results.  :P

The MA article does make mention of the FireCore billet distributors and upon testing they found that timing was rock solid with the Firecore unit. Ehrenberg even summerizes the article by saying ; your best option is to find an old 73 distributor and rebuild/modify it or purchase the FireCore unit. More or less of what i've been telling members for the past few years ; Firecore is a top shelf product and i wouldn't be recommending it to my friends if it wasn't.  ;)

As for the ECU's ; there is a member on Moparts who has been doing a fair bit of dyno testing on the replacement style ECU's and the only ones he likes are the rev-n-ator and FBO box. All the other chinese knockoffs pull timing and higher rpm and loose power at peak volumetric efficiency which is when the greatest demand on the ignition system occurs.

Mopar performance is out of the electronic conversion market at this point which isn't necessarily a bad thing based on recent reports.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

It is the end of an era but all things pass too. :2thumbs:

b5blue

Mine ran fine in the car. A bit too much advance but I never adjusted it. The fresh A-1 Cardone remanufactured I'd installed prior was total crap. Hunting an intermittent no spark issue had me swapping components and lead me to FBO so I sent Don my A-1 as a core. (I later found a nasty wire patch in my engine harness that was the real issue.) 

hemihead

After many years in the Mopar game , I've noticed guys tend to buy parts more because of the name than by the actual performance of the part .
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Charger-Bodie

The firecore distributors are the way to go in my opinion. Top notch all the way around,and  very easy to tune.

jlatessa

So is the Accel BB dist. I just bought from Summit one of the problem ones??

Joe