News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Some questions for the Magnum owners

Started by Patronus, November 20, 2013, 09:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patronus

First off, I'm interested in the AWD version. Does anyone know if these are all V6 cars or if any AWD versions came with the 5.7? If I'm stuck with the 6 I'm find with that but I'd like to ask owners about any issues or thoughts they have about the car. I'm currently looking at an '05, 71K for $9.5. Which year(s) do you prefer? Problems with the 6? Any help is appreciated. And thank you..
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

draftingmonkey

Depending on the year they came with the V6 and the 5.7L and 6.1L Hemi. I can't answer AWD questions but you might check over on the LX Forums. They have both Magnum and AWD sections that may answer your questions with a little searching.
http://www.lxforums.com/board/forum.php

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Patronus on November 20, 2013, 09:48:10 PM
First off, I'm interested in the AWD version. Does anyone know if these are all V6 cars or if any AWD versions came with the 5.7? If I'm stuck with the 6 I'm find with that but I'd like to ask owners about any issues or thoughts they have about the car. I'm currently looking at an '05, 71K for $9.5. Which year(s) do you prefer? Problems with the 6? Any help is appreciated. And thank you..

One of our close friends has a 2008 Magnum SXT AWD
Its not a bad car. We took it 1/2 way across Canada and back this past summer. I've always loved Magnums. You could get AWD and a 5.7L. The AWD models weren't all just V6s. You could NOT get a SRT-8 6.1L in AWD though, those don't exist. With Magnums and all other LX models (Charger, 300, Magnum), stay away from the 2.7L. They are notoriously crap motors. The 3.5L V6s overall are good motors. The 2005-2007 LX models are notorious for front end clunking. My old 2005 R/T Magnum had that problem. 2008s didnt have that problem for the most part. I guess they learned from the previous years. If you are looking at one, try to find out if the tie rods, tension struts etc have been replaced already. If not your looking at about $500 to get rid of that dretched clunk. The tension struts and lower control arms are the biggest causes of it as the bushings in them crack and split over time causing the sloppiness in the part. They aren't serviceable nor can you simply replace the bushing. Most cases you need to replace the whole part so if you can find one with the front end already rebuilt you are golden. If the 2005 you are looking at with 71,000k and the front end isn't clunking around then chances are it's already been rebuilt. Overall the Magnums are awesome cars. l loved my 2005 R/T.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

draftingmonkey

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on November 21, 2013, 01:04:01 AMYou could NOT get a SRT-8 6.1L in AWD though, those don't exist.
You're correct, me bad. The Grand Cherokee was offered in a SRT8 AWD version.

Brock Lee

I still see lots of Magnums out there, but only maybe 1 out of 5 is a V8. A long time passes before I see an SRT8 or AWD version.

Patronus

Thank you for the replies. The gf thought it a bit too familyesque so Im still searching... I have yet to find an AWD with a v8
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Troy

Quote from: Patronus on November 21, 2013, 08:17:45 PM
Thank you for the replies. The gf thought it a bit too familyesque so Im still searching... I have yet to find an AWD with a v8
I was looking for a 5.7 AWD Magnum for a while. I finally found one and it was cream colored. Blech! I talked to a Dodge tech and he said the AWD didn't really give much of an advantage over the RWD with traction control - and it was a whole lot more expensive to fix. Since there are so few of them it is harder to find anyone with experience working on them.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

odcics2

AWD on a Magnum or Charger or 300 has it all over a RWD in crappy weather.  (any amount of snow!!)

Keep in mind AWD does nothing for braking, just accelerating.   Apparently, the tech you talked to didn't do an 'A' - 'B' comparison.    I have.   :Twocents: 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Patronus

Thanks you guys. Im still not sure which to choose. I've read some articles and threads on the LX forum without any game changing info. Im in Colorado. Although it stays pretty nice out most of the year theres really only 6-10 days a year I would really need it. They dont plow the side streets so if we get a dumping its gnarly for a while, especially on the shady side. I guess my biggest concern is repairs. I certainly dont know much about AWD. Sure if I can get my hands on it I can probably fix it but.. Since Ive found some R/T's with AWD Im hunting those. Funny the AWD versions aren't much more cost wise. I've also thought about just running studded snow tires on some winter wheels and stick with the 2WD.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Troy

Just be careful buying wheels. The AWD requires a different wheel offset.

I live in Ohio. We get a small amount of snow maybe 5-6 times per year. I have 2 4WD pickups. The only reason I was looking at AWD was because I wanted a daily driver that wasn't a pickup. In the end, it's cheaper for me to have 2 vehicles.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Patronus

It's tough, my head hurts from looking.. :slap:  Now I'm on the SRT bandwagon.. I just don't know if I really need the AWD. I've been here for 15 years and never needed 4wd. If its that bad you just stay put. I'm a Wisco native, and I can drift. Now I would love to have 425 daily horsepower and not have to hang my head at the valet..
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

ws23rt

We are still a long way from a vehicle  that will do it all at all times.

A fun performance car will not step up when winter calls. Many locations have extreme weather change conditions and that calls for a driver that fits the climate. Where you chose to live will tell you what you need for day to day activities.  But when the sun comes out and the roads are dry we play with our hobby. :cheers: