News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A few pics of the 2007 Charger Super Bee

Started by JohnnyBee, March 05, 2006, 12:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69charger2002

couldn't agree with volk more.. my thoughts exactly. charger is ugly. they have stolen from every cool "catch word", package(daytona, super bee etc), and stripe design, even down to the old school colors for this POS, all in the name of a sale.. but they have only done 99% of it right.. HEMI, RWD, go mango, daytona, R/T, etc.. EVERYTHING but the 1% which is the car, and matters most
i hate them for this forever.. they are selling like crazy around here.. and you should see the inbreds that are buying them
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

The Ghoul

Quote from: 69charger2002 on March 07, 2006, 04:24:12 PM
they are selling like crazy around here.. and you should see the inbreds that are buying them
trav

69charger2002

kind of like him. but MUCH worse.   :-X more like their mother's brother's son.. which is really still her son  :)
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Schuler

Ok....guess what....the 2006 Charger can not be the same as a 1966-74 Charger. Just like the 1986 Charger.

I like the new Charger. It is an aggressive, comfortable, fast sedan.

How can you complain when Chrysler is making the fastest vehicles they ever have? Then, they make retro colors and use retro names for us, the muscle car lovers. Then we complain. Why would they want to waste time making a new challenger.
-Zach Schuler
1969 Charger RT/SE 14.091 @ 98.25 (spinning)
1997 Cherokee Sport 4x4 16.057 @ 84
1956 D-100 Pickup
http://www.cardomain.com/id/schuler

TheGhost

Quote from: Silver R/T on March 07, 2006, 01:42:19 AM
Can you prove that theyre "exceeding sales expectations"? Only if they expected to sell a few nationwide, I take your word for it :) 300's on the other hand dont stay on the lot for long. They really missed the point with sticking emblems on family sedan

DCX expected to sell around 6000 Chargers a month.  This is how many they have sold per month so far.

http://www.lxforums.com/board/lx_sales.php?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Charger Aficionado

Ghoste

Quote from: TheGhost on March 08, 2006, 02:37:06 AM
DCX expected to sell around 6000 Chargers a month.  This is how many they have sold per month so far.

http://www.lxforums.com/board/lx_sales.php?

Aren't those figures actually how many they have built, not how many they have sold?  It seems like (and this is only a perception on my part)the target is moving and no matter how many they move each month, the claim is always that it is "exceeding expectations". 

Crazy Larry

Quote from: Schuler on March 07, 2006, 11:12:26 PM
Ok....guess what....the 2006 Charger can not be the same as a 1966-74 Charger. Just like the 1986 Charger.

I like the new Charger. It is an aggressive, comfortable, fast sedan.

How can you complain when Chrysler is making the fastest vehicles they ever have? Then, they make retro colors and use retro names for us, the muscle car lovers. Then we complain. Why would they want to waste time making a new challenger.

No one complained about the Intrepid and they sold a butt-load of those - why? Because, Dodge made a good reliable (for the most part) sedan. The Intrepid was a great name and a great vehicle.

So they scrap it and make another good Sedan and call it "Charger" - that is wrong.
The Charger never was a sedan. The car is a decent car but like some others on this thread don't get, it is a slap in the face to call it a "Charger" and not an Intrepid...or Magnum sedan...which it really is.

If they make the new Challenger in the body style and likeness of the concept car - you won't see a word of complaint on the Challenger forums.
Why?
Because they are not just making a different version of the Stratus and slapping "Challenger" on it - they are paying correct homage and respect to the name "Challenger" by following through with the proper body desgin and mechanics.

We, as Dodge Charger enthusiasts, have a right to complain about how they are treating the history of such an admired name in automotive lore. They are crapping all over it by not following through 100% (like travis just said).

Crazy Larry

Quote from: TheGhost on March 07, 2006, 12:18:30 PM
Quote from: Crazy Larry on March 07, 2006, 03:42:23 AM
Quote from: TheGhost on March 07, 2006, 03:25:01 AM

Sure the Mustang came out in late 04.  But, the 06 Charger was already designed then.  It had to be, since it was sent to dealers in mid 05.  So, I fail to see how they copied Ford, which, considering how Ford is in deep financial trouble right now, probably isn't that smart of an idea anyway.

You're wrong on this one

Actually, I'm not.  Those weren't DCX released computer drawings.  Those were made by a couple guys who thought that a new Charger should look like.

You're getting close now - the article's point is that Dodge was still not confirming or denying that there was even a Charger program.....

Page 44: "We contacted several DCX officials who would be in a position to confirm or deny the existance of a Charger program, but none of them would agree to publicly comment on the possibility."

This is April 2004.

So all they had was the Dodge Magnum design to go off of and guess from there as to what it might look like. Why, beacuase Dodge has not even released a drawing of the "NEW CHARGER" and its April of 2004.

BUT in JANUARY 2003 - Ford released its concept of the new Ford Mustang - capturing full retro Designs including the forward leaning grille. (which you say Dodge had first)

Here is a link if you don't want to take my word....

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/01/nextmustang/index.shtml

So after all this, you still are saying that Dodge had their Charger concept down before Ford - but didn't release one drawing/photo/show car for 2.5 years until production?
That's a little far fetched but I'll listen if you have proof of Dodge's 2006 Charger body design was done before Ford's 2005 Mustang which appeared in 2003.

I, for one, still hold fast to the obvious - that they made last minute adjustments due to Ford's new Mustang retro design popularity - hence, no Magnum front end but an "aggressive" forward leaning grille on the new Charger.

Lightning

Quote from: Crazy Larry on March 07, 2006, 02:09:34 AMThey had the one from '99 that EVERYONE loved tour for years, but then they went right from re-design, to production.

Not everyone, but change the grill to something considerably less ugly, and change the engine from that weird natural gas engine, and put a V-8 in it, then I'd like it.....

actually, that Natural gas engine was a preproduction 4.8 V8 that could run on pump gas....
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

my73charger

Man all I can say is...wait...hold that thought.... :puke:...Ok, anyway all I can say is that 4 doors just ain't cool...unless your...nah...still ain't cool.

The Ghoul

How can you complain when Chrysler is making the fastest vehicles they ever have?
some one has been blowing alot of smoak up your ass.
and Im guessing by this statment  its the good kind.

RD

Quote from: Crazy Larry on March 07, 2006, 02:09:34 AMThey had the one from '99 that EVERYONE loved tour for years, but then they went right from re-design, to production.

Not everyone, but change the grill to something considerably less ugly, and change the engine from that weird natural gas engine, and put a V-8 in it, then I'd like it.....

natural gas or not, the thing made 345 hp and you could hook it up to your natural gas line at home (with a conversion system) without having to fill up at a gas station.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

TheGhost

Quote from: Crazy Larry on March 08, 2006, 05:41:29 AM
Quote from: TheGhost on March 07, 2006, 12:18:30 PM
Quote from: Crazy Larry on March 07, 2006, 03:42:23 AM

Sure the Mustang came out in late 04. But, the 06 Charger was already designed then. It had to be, since it was sent to dealers in mid 05. So, I fail to see how they copied Ford, which, considering how Ford is in deep financial trouble right now, probably isn't that smart of an idea anyway.

You're wrong on this one

Actually, I'm not. Those weren't DCX released computer drawings. Those were made by a couple guys who thought that a new Charger should look like.

You're getting close now - the article's point is that Dodge was still not confirming or denying that there was even a Charger program.....

Page 44: "We contacted several DCX officials who would be in a position to confirm or deny the existance of a Charger program, but none of them would agree to publicly comment on the possibility."

This is April 2004.

So all they had was the Dodge Magnum design to go off of and guess from there as to what it might look like. Why, beacuase Dodge has not even released a drawing of the "NEW CHARGER" and its April of 2004.

BUT in JANUARY 2003 - Ford released its concept of the new Ford Mustang - capturing full retro Designs including the forward leaning grille. (which you say Dodge had first)

Here is a link if you don't want to take my word....

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/01/nextmustang/index.shtml

So after all this, you still are saying that Dodge had their Charger concept down before Ford - but didn't release one drawing/photo/show car for 2.5 years until production?
That's a little far fetched but I'll listen if you have proof of Dodge's 2006 Charger body design was done before Ford's 2005 Mustang which appeared in 2003.

I, for one, still hold fast to the obvious - that they made last minute adjustments due to Ford's new Mustang retro design popularity - hence, no Magnum front end but an "aggressive" forward leaning grille on the new Charger.

I understand what you are saying.  I don't understand why you believe that, because, for your theory to be correct, they would have had to COMPLETELY design the Charger in the span of a month or 2, not counting the time it would take to tool up the production line, so it was actually capable of making the car....

While it's is possible, it's also highly unlikely.  Current car designers take several months going over car designs, working on the little details, etc, even if it's using the same platform as an existing car.  Just because DCX didn't put out drawings of the Charger untill after the Mustang concept pics were released, doesn't mean they weren't working on it beforehand.

And, answer me this.  Why would DCX copy the Mustangs nose slant?  They weren't going for a retro designed car, at the time, so why take a feature directly from a RETRO designed car?  I never said that Dodge had that grill first, what I said was that it was completely unrelated with the Mustangs grill.  Which it is.  The Charger was designed to have a completely different nose from the other LX cars.  THAT is why it doesn't have the Magnum type grill.

Quote from: The Ghoul on March 08, 2006, 05:17:10 PM
How can you complain when Chrysler is making the fastest vehicles they ever have?
some one has been blowing alot of smoak up your ass.
and Im guessing by this statment its the good kind.

The SRT-8 Chargers are faster in the 1/4 mile than anything they made in the 70s.  In fact, the only production vehicle made by Dodge that has a faster 1/4 time is the Viper.  Granted, they have 35 years worth of new tech in the SRT-8s, but the fact remains that currently, Chrysler/Dodge is making the fastest cars they've ever made.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Crazy Larry

Quote from: TheGhost on March 09, 2006, 01:06:23 AM

And, answer me this.  Why would DCX copy the Mustangs nose slant?  They weren't going for a retro designed car, at the time, so why take a feature directly from a RETRO designed car?  I never said that Dodge had that grill first, what I said was that it was completely unrelated with the Mustangs grill.  Which it is.  The Charger was designed to have a completely different nose from the other LX cars.  THAT is why it doesn't have the Magnum type grill.

DCX saw the amount of attention that the retro mustang was getting so they knew the were off in a wrong direction - as they took such a steadfast non-retro stance with their initial Magnum based Charger.

So what I believe happened was that DCX automatically tried to copy the Mustang in nose/front end design to try to jazz it up a bit with some "retro" feeling. A look at the side profile of both the vehicles says enough, it also says Dodge can't immitate that well, because the Mustang sits better and has more aggressive lines......

I believe that Dodge would have followed along with a 300 or Magnum feeling of a leaned back nose on the new Charger (also for better aerodynamics) until those pesky Ford guys up and catered to their muscle car fanatic base and threw a damn monkey wrench in the works.

Hey, at least this gives me some hope that maybe Dodge will suck it up and redo the entire design and come out with something rockin' like the new Challenger concept (and the uber retro design of the new Challenger concept adds to my beliefs a bit more because it shows Dodge has been listening all along and they know they are in the wrong by being anti-retro).

TheGhost

Quote from: Crazy Larry on March 09, 2006, 05:28:02 AMSo what I believe happened was that DCX automatically tried to copy the Mustang in nose/front end design to try to jazz it up a bit with some "retro" feeling. A look at the side profile of both the vehicles says enough, it also says Dodge can't immitate that well, because the Mustang sits better and has more aggressive lines......

I believe that Dodge would have followed along with a 300 or Magnum feeling of a leaned back nose on the new Charger (also for better aerodynamics) until those pesky Ford guys up and catered to their muscle car fanatic base and threw a damn monkey wrench in the works.

And I find that all highly unlikely.  The Charger has a different set grill, to set it apart from the other LX cars.  Not to copy the Mustang.

Also, I find the side profile of the new Mustang to be rather ugly...  Maybe if the hood didn't slope downwards...  Doesn't fit in with the rest of the bodylines.... 

Anyway, if Dodge really wanted to copy the Mustang, due to the responce it got, then they wouldn't have released the Charger as it is now.  Instead, they would have held off on announcing the return of the Charger, and done alot more redesigning than just changing the nose.  The Charger does not copy anything from the Mustwang.  It never has, and it most certainly never will.

Crazy Larry

I stand by the photos - looks like a total Dodge cop-out to me.

The new Challenger design on the other hand?

Weeeeellllll, there's the Mother Mopar we all know and love. :icon_smile_cool:

TheGhost

Quote from: Crazy Larry on March 11, 2006, 04:15:00 AM

And I stand by the logic that states of Dodge was going to copy the Mustang on the Charger, they would have done more than just change the grill.

Going by your definition of a cop-out, the new Challenger is much more of one than the Charger.  The Challenger was made solely for the purpose of taking advantage of the Mustangs sales.  Not to please us enthusiasts.  The Charger, on the other hand, was to give Dodge a performance sedan.

There are similarities between other cars.  Doesn't mean they all copy each other.

Crazy Larry

Quote from: TheGhost on March 11, 2006, 03:32:54 PM
Quote from: Crazy Larry on March 11, 2006, 04:15:00 AM

And I stand by the logic that states of Dodge was going to copy the Mustang on the Charger, they would have done more than just change the grill.

Going by your definition of a cop-out, the new Challenger is much more of one than the Charger.  The Challenger was made solely for the purpose of taking advantage of the Mustangs sales.  Not to please us enthusiasts.  The Charger, on the other hand, was to give Dodge a performance sedan.

There are similarities between other cars.  Doesn't mean they all copy each other.

What logic have you been smoking?!?!?!?!?!

Look at the pictures above - the differences are minimal at best! With 4 doors being the most obvious...ooooooo Dodge innovation there  ::) 

The Challeneger is a completely NEW design that pays homage to the car that carried the name before it. How is it a Copout to come up with something that is a Dodge original.

and yes, if you look at the '99 concept for the Charger, and look what they came out with - in light of the new Mustang (which was out for 2 years, before Dodge came out with the new "Charger" design) - That LOGICALLY leads to the conclusion that Dodge was influenced by the new Mustang. If you think that todays Car designers don't look at their competition to get ideas, you don't understand business.

The pictures don't lie.

Sinister68

QuoteYou can't polish a turd...
Quote from the movie "Christine"
-James
2013 Challenger SRT - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1968 Charger (R/T)
6.4 Hemi/Auto - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 440 4bbl/5 Speed/Dana 3.54

69chargeryeehaa

all i can say is that if a car is re-intorduced with it's name, then it should do the name justice.  for example, i look at the new beetle, and instantly recognize the car as a "bug", same with the new mustang, the mini cooper, the challenger concept, heck even the thunderbird.  when i look at the charger, i see nothing.  nothing on that car even hints of any gen's of the charger at all.  i have a 2001 New beetle Sport Turbo (wife's car, total sleeper :icon_smile_wink:), and a 1974 VW Beetle, the 2 look very simmilar, and i have a 2002 Mustang GT with bullit wheels, even that has major cues from the 60's mustang, and i have of course a 69 charger, but no new charger?   cause it does'nt remind me of the charger at all, whatsoever, period.  it's a nice car don't get me wrong, but it is a "charger" or so claimed, i have yet to see "charger" in the new charger.................rant out :icon_smile_cool:

Chargen69

Quote from: Chargen69 on March 09, 2006, 06:38:09 AM
:horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse:

"It's dead Jim, let it go out to the far reaches of space... never to return"

71 Bee Man

I actually don't mind the rear shot of the one someones posted which appears to be at a Motor Show.

Personally, I'd have prefferred the styling we saw in 99, but I think the problem lies in the fact that we all really like a particular design of Chrger and that it's hard for us to get our heads around new concepts. Look at this new Charger - it's sporty looking for a modern day car and it's got a HEMI V8 that will blow your doors off. Isn't that what it's all about ?

Give it a chance. :icon_smile_big:
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

TheGhost

Quote from: Crazy Larry on March 11, 2006, 04:58:08 PMWhat logic have you been smoking?!?!?!?!?!

I'm really tempted to ask you the same thing.  In over the year that we have known about this car, NOBODY has mentioned anything about the similarity between the grills of either car.  Except you.  None of the Mopar rags, car mags, forum members, and any other person I've heard from, both opponants and supporters of the car, have EVER said anything about the grills.  You are alone, my friend, and, from where I stand, are grasping at straws, letting your emotion and intense dislike for the car get in the way of simple logic.

Once again, I ask you, if Dodge went to the trouble to copy the Mustang's design, why only the grill?  If they thought the Mustang was worthy of copying, why didn't they do more?  Untill you can answer that with a good explination, your theory is discredited.

QuoteLook at the pictures above - the differences are minimal at best! With 4 doors being the most obvious...ooooooo Dodge innovation there  ::)

What similarities?  I only see the grill slant.  Only a completely blind idiot would ever mistake an 06 Charger with an 04+ Mustang.

QuoteThe Challeneger is a completely NEW design that pays homage to the car that carried the name before it. How is it a Copout to come up with something that is a Dodge original.

Because it's the exact same thing Ford, and now Chevy, has done.  It's not original.  It's basically stealing the idea from Ford, which I find to be a cop out.  I could care less whether it's a cop out or not, as long as the new Challengerr is produced, but it still stands as a cop out, not an original idea.  Even the original Challenger wasn't a Dodge original, but was a rather late response to the success of the Mustang and Camaro.  Much like it is now.

The Charger is also a completely new design, on a platform that is only a couple years old.  Yet, you insist it's a cop out, because Dodge didn't retro theme it.

Quoteand yes, if you look at the '99 concept for the Charger, and look what they came out with - in light of the new Mustang (which was out for 2 years, before Dodge came out with the new "Charger" design) - That LOGICALLY leads to the conclusion that Dodge was influenced by the new Mustang. If you think that todays Car designers don't look at their competition to get ideas, you don't understand business.

I never said they don't look at their competitors to get ideas.  Read my response to the previous segment for proof of that.  However, if the new Mustang influenced Dodge's design team as much as you say, then why is the car a 4 door, instead of a 2 door like the Mustang?  Why isn't it retro themed, like the Mustang?  I stand by my conclusion that the Mustang affected a very minimal part of the design of the Charger, if any at all.

QuoteThe pictures don't lie.

You are quite correct about that.  Everyone else sees 2 cars that couldn't look more different from each other.  I see an ugly, bloated version of a late 60s Mustang in one picture, and an aggressive looking, albiet wrongly named, sedan in another picture.