News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Haggling on new motorcycle?

Started by Fitz73Chrgr, November 23, 2013, 08:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fitz73Chrgr

I've been thinking of buying a motorcycle.  I've never owned one before and recently got my license endorsement.  Probably a Harley Sportster but possibly a Dyna or a Victory 8-ball. 

From what I've researched on the internet, there doesn't seem to be much room for negotiating on price like there is with new cars.  Seems that most just get the dealer to throw in free crap, which I don't really want. 

What is your experience with this?  Advice?
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on November 23, 2013, 08:05:05 PM

What is your experience with this? 

Buy a Harley and get the best
Drive a mile and walk the rest.

rt green

I've got a 03 Honda st 1300 I don't ride. I tried to sell it, but around here, nobody wants it.
third string oil changer

Fred

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 23, 2013, 08:20:11 PM
Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on November 23, 2013, 08:05:05 PM

What is your experience with this?  

Buy a Harley and get the best
Drive a mile and walk the rest.

:lol:   But nothing looks or sounds as good as a Harley cruising along.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

b5blue

Down here they will rent them out for weekends or whatever. A good friend of mine just did this a had a great time. If you can I strongly recommend trying before buying any one model with no experience.  :2thumbs:

Indygenerallee

Just go put a helmet on and go throw yourself on the pavement and then times that pain by about 1000 (or death)...... Too many idiot kids with their cell phone texting while driving anymore for me to ever crawl on a bike. Just save yourself the pain (and possible death) and spend the money on the Charger!!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Ghoste

On the other side of the coin there are a lot of people on crotch rockets who seem to think that just because it redlines at 10k that means they need to always shift it there and try to hit 100mph before the next light.  Sadly the dude backing out of his driveway doesn't know that missile is headed his way.  For that matter, you can glance in your mirror for a lane change, see a crotch rocket 200 yards away and by the time you think are safely moving into the other lane he's already stamped Kawasaki into the rear of your car.

John L

Quote from: Indygenerallee on November 24, 2013, 02:55:23 PM
Too many idiot kids with their cell phone texting while driving anymore for me to ever crawl on a bike. Just save yourself the pain (and possible death) and spend the money on the Charger!!

That plan won't work. I gave up the Harley's a few years ago. Bought a Charger this summer. Damn texting kids managed to hit that too. Just got it back from the body shop this morning.

flyinlow

Think long and hard about it. If you have children still at home I would not do it. There are lots of things a skilled rider can do to help improve you chances, but part of the equation comes down to luck.

Never owned a HD. Honda and Suzuki dealerships are not that much different then a car dealer.  If you know what you want and the salesman considers you to be a serious buyer , there is always room for negotiating.  Maybe they can throw in an extended warranty  or service, which is a big deal on a HD. Remember the buyer's must powerful weapon, after they turned down your offer , grab your keys, thank them for their time and head for the door.

Fred

Quote from: John L on November 24, 2013, 03:44:17 PM
Too many idiot kids with their cell phone texting while driving anymore for me to ever crawl on a bike. Just save yourself the pain (and possible death) and spend the money on the Charger!!

That plan won't work. I gave up the Harley's a few years ago. Bought a Charger this summer. Damn texting kids managed to hit that too. Just got it back from the body shop this morning.

The good news over is that as of today, the fine for using a mobile phone while driving has increased to AU$433.00 plus 4 demerit points. Lets hope it will be a deterrent.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

stripedelete

Just go put a helmet on and go throw yourself on the pavement and then times that pain by about 1000 (or death)...... Too many idiot kids with their cell phone texting while driving anymore for me to ever crawl on a bike. Just save yourself the pain (and possible death) and spend the money on the Charger!!

Tru Dat!

nvrbdn

ok, you arent really getting what you want from the masses here. but i would put it this way. if you are dead set on getting a bike, you dont need to start with the harley or the victory.  you actually could start wit something like a used suzki intruder volusia or a honda which are big bikes for thousands less and see if its really what you want. you can pick these up for 3k or less usually. i got my pearl white 04 volusia for 2600 with only 7000 miles on it
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Bandit72

Quote from: nvrbdn on November 26, 2013, 08:20:32 PM
ok, you arent really getting what you want from the masses here. but i would put it this way. if you are dead set on getting a bike, you dont need to start with the harley or the victory.  you actually could start wit something like a used suzki intruder volusia or a honda which are big bikes for thousands less and see if its really what you want. you can pick these up for 3k or less usually. i got my pearl white 04 volusia for 2600 with only 7000 miles on it

:iagree:
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: nvrbdn on November 26, 2013, 08:20:32 PM

I've slept on it for a while, and I think you're right.  I'm going to start out with something affordable.  Normally I'm against foreign vehicles, but seeing as how much more affordable they are than American bikes, I'm going to look at them.

The rest of what I would have spent on a Dyna will go to finishing the 73 and/or saving for a 2nd gen.  Phwew, I feel like I almost lost sight of the light.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

nvrbdn

ha ha, yes, dont loose sight. the car project need to stay in focus.i myself did the harley thing for several years. sold it to by me a camper.  when i decided to get another bike, i decided to start with something different. much cheaper. my friends have the harleys, and i cruise right along with them.

look around and you will find a nice bike for a great price.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House