News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is a triple black 70 roadrunner on the more rare side?

Started by DoubleDlover, November 21, 2013, 08:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoubleDlover

Im not sure how rare this combo is. Black, Black top (vinyel top delete) black interior and black transvers stripes. 4 speed. 383. No its not a cream puff. Im just trying to find out if the owner is full or crap when he tells me its super rare only a couple made. yada yada...... thanks

Ghoste

I don't know how he figured out how many were made that way.  Its rare for sure but Chrysler didn't track options that way.

F8-4life

68X426

DDLover, yes, rare. Rare in '70 and rare today.

However ...... is it a true Road Runner? There were 41,000 + Road Runners in '70, and 56,000 + Satellites. Many of those Satellites were turned into RRs.

And .... is it a true black on black, built that way at the factory? A lot of RRs have been repainted over the years, and a lot of tops were removed. And many a stripe was added.

If the owner can document it as factory, it's about as rare as can be.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

DoubleDlover

hi there. Well. As far as I can tell its legit. I have a pic of the fender tag. I could post it here if you would like to see. True roadrunner. RM23.  Real 4speed. It has been repainted. But I know where to look for old paint. All black.. Let me know if you want a pic of the trim tag to see. Im trying to decide if I want to just sell it. Or keep it. I did buy it but im not sure now if its the car for me. r 

polywideblock

post up a pic    :yesnod:   is the paint code x9

would be one cool car  :2thumbs:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

myk

You bought a car that you're not sure you want?   :shruggy:

DoubleDlover

well actually. Its not that I don't want it. Its right after I bought it as usual the deal I was really looking for all of a sudden presented itself. and I cant afford to do both... 

DoubleDlover

ok here you go. and the serial is also stamped on the core and trunk lip as well. r

myk

Quote from: DoubleDlover on November 22, 2013, 01:48:15 PM
well actually. Its not that I don't want it. Its right after I bought it as usual the deal I was really looking for all of a sudden presented itself. and I cant afford to do both... 

I see.  Well I've gotta know what you're lusting for if you want it more than this uber-rare 'Runner you bought...

Ghoste

Oh yeah, how do we know you're not just one of those evil flippers our mothers warned us about? :nana:

DoubleDlover

lol well. Honestly I did have plans for the car. But when these other things poped up I have to serious think about it. Plus its looking like it might be just a tad more work for me then I first thought. Theres a couple other options for me. But the more info I collect the better I can make the right choice for myself. Is there any way to find out just how rare this combo is? r

polywideblock

wow a real "stripper " virtually   no options

must have been ordered to go fast in a strait line  :yesnod:    

billssuperbird

My car is a tx9 383 4 speed post car. It was so bad that's  y I  made a superbird clone out of it.

rt green

always wanted a 70 road runner. consider yourself lucky. if I had any brains, i'd try to talk you out of it.
third string oil changer

myk

Quote from: DoubleDlover on November 22, 2013, 05:21:12 PM
lol well. Honestly I did have plans for the car. But when these other things poped up I have to serious think about it. Plus its looking like it might be just a tad more work for me then I first thought. Theres a couple other options for me. But the more info I collect the better I can make the right choice for myself. Is there any way to find out just how rare this combo is? r

Oh, I just assumed that this was a 100 point show car, or something similar...

DoubleDlover

here are the numbers on the trim tag...   tx9 j25 m21 r11 v8x
                                                            tx9 h2x9 tx9 915
                                                            e63 d21 rm23 nog

I will try to get some picks up here tomarrow. This car would be great if you have a crappy RR or satellite already. And just take some of the missing parts off and put them on here. Or. cut all the good stuff off of this one and put it on your car. r

hemi68charger

I have a friend with a triple black 383 4speed with A/C car for sale.....bench seat car....... I would think it would be a VERY cool car done. It is a running car, but needs a lot of body TLC for a complete restoration... If I didn't already have two cars, I would love to own this thing..........

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

billssuperbird

If I new then what I know now I would not have built a superbird clone. I would have left it a all black rr.

hemi68charger

Quote from: billssuperbird on November 24, 2013, 08:55:02 AM
If I new then what I know now I would not have built a superbird clone. I would have left it a all black rr.

That's why my buddy found a solid '70 Satellite for his Superbird clone.......
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Ghoste

Air conditioning, sport wheel and a bench, interesting combination.

polywideblock

didn't St Louis(G) put all the major options on their fender tags ?  my  roadrunners tag is full  :yesnod:

69_500

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 24, 2013, 08:46:57 AM
I have a friend with a triple black 383 4speed with A/C car for sale.....bench seat car....... I would think it would be a VERY cool car done. It is a running car, but needs a lot of body TLC for a complete restoration... If I didn't already have two cars, I would love to own this thing..........

Troy did that car come with hood pins from factory?

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69_500 on November 24, 2013, 12:25:01 PM

Troy did that car come with hood pins from factory?

Not sure, I will have to look at the picture of the fender tag that's on my home computer........
Troy

Daytona R/T SE

I want it.  :yesnod:

fc7_plumcrazy

Hi Troy,

is it the onw which was on ebay some weeks ago?

Carsten

Kern Dog

Quote from: polywideblock on November 22, 2013, 05:21:48 PM

Triple black would mean it has a vinyl top. If a black car had a black steel roof, there is nothing odd or unusual because it is standard.

billssuperbird

DoubleDlover

I think I should sell the car. if anyone is interested PM me. I have pics and can go over a list of what I can offer to go with it. r

Ghoste

wingcar

I owned a triple black 1970 Challenger RT/SE in High School.  The car had every option available except for a sunroof (Cruise control, AC, power windows, brakes, 8-speaker factory AM/FM radio, etc....)

I was getting ready to paint my 68 Charger RT black (originally faded yellow) to look like the Billitt Charger, but traded it before that happened.....

My present 1970 Daytona Clone/Custom is triple black....
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

HPP

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on November 29, 2013, 01:06:41 AM
Quote from: polywideblock on November 22, 2013, 05:21:48 PM

Triple black would mean it has a vinyl top. If a black car had a black steel roof, there is nothing odd or unusual because it is standard.

But painted roofs in black or white are also coded on the fender tag, so wouldn't a painted roof, even in the same color as the body, be considered an option?  Yes, traditionally triple black would be vinyl roof in the same color, but I've seen other color cars with painted roofs in contrasting colors.

hemi68charger

Quote from: fc7_plumcrazy on November 28, 2013, 05:56:29 AM

Hi Troy,

is it the onw which was on ebay some weeks ago?

Carsten

Carsten, not sure, don't if my friend listed it. You have a link?
Troy

472 R/T SE

The guy who built my transmission, installed GV owns this all black Hemi RR.
Small world, the president of our club used to own the car back in high school.  When Dave owned it, it only had a 383 in it.  He sold it to Loren for like $1500 & he's had it ever since.

Last 2 pix have our SRT in the background.

XS29LA47V21

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

:slap: :shruggy: :Twocents:

factory black any mopar 1968-75, ahh yeah. and they all look good black (or white)