News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Big block oil filter - do you even bother trying to prefill it with oil?

Started by bull, November 21, 2013, 01:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I know it's a good idea to put as much new oil as you can into the new filter when doing an oil change to avoid dry startups but the 383/440 filter mounts horizontally. Last night I changed the oil in my 68 and decided it really wasn't worth the hassle. How much oil can you really get in a filter that lays flat? I use the Mopar MO-090 filter which is the same size as the originals they sold back in 68.

I haven't started the engine yet so if it's that big a deal I can always pull the filter back off. But still, is it worth the mess to get that 1/4 cup of oil inside?

Ghoste

I always pre fill them.  I know it makes a mess but its just what I was taught along time ago and continue to do.

nvrbdn

i guess im bad, cuz i didnt. i pre lubed my engine before cam break in. ran the engine.  fired the engine up later to get timing and carb tune.  drained the oil and put new filter and brad penn in. did not pre fill. i was assumiong that with running and all, the oil was doing its job with lubrication. :shruggy:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Sublime/Sixpack

On Mopar big block engines I don't bother to put oil in the filter before installing. But I do let the engine warm up before draining oil, and restart engine and let it run as soon as I button up the oil change.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

tan top

no never bothered ,  always change oil when motor is hot / warm ,  all I do is crank the motor for 15 -20 seconds  with the coil lead off (  warning  don't let the spark ark to plus  minus terminals , can damage the coil ))  pull  lead  off the distributor cap &  slide a length of heater hose on to insulate it !!
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bull

Ooops. I did mine cold. I need to start the threads first and then do the work but sometimes I have no patience. Or I act before I think.

68X426

My Hemi needs every drop of oil it can get at start up. Second gen 426 Hemis have so many oiling challenges that I always prefill the filter. I just spin it around a few times, let the oil soak in some, drain off excess into the bottle and install. I lose very little on the installation. Does it help? I'll never know but it's just cheap procedural insurance.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

bull

What about those anti-flowback filters? They're supposed to retain oil inside by creating a one-direction flow from the inlet holes.

bill440rt

I fill mine. I let it soak for a while before installing, makes much less mess if any at that point. Good insurance.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bull

Quote from: bill440rt on November 21, 2013, 03:47:26 PM
I fill mine. I let it soak for a while before installing, makes much less mess if any at that point. Good insurance.

I'm going to do this tomorrow. I forgot to buy an extra quart of oil anyway so I'll use part of it to fill the filter. :2thumbs:

Fred

I prefill my filter with just enough oil so that the oil doesn't run out when I fit it.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

A383Wing

Dino

Has there really been any problem with not pre filling it?  I would think that if your engine blew up because you didn't prefill the filter, bigger issues were in the making.

My oil change ritual is simple.  I have everything set up in my garage and I drive the car in with the engine nice and hot.  Drain, remove filter, replace filter, new washer on the drain bolt, refill and go for a spin while the engine is still hot.  Never had an issue with any of my cars.  I just don't see the problem here.  Just make sure the engine's hot when you drain it and all will be fine.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ws23rt

Quote from: A383Wing on November 22, 2013, 12:29:53 AM
I have never pre-filled mine...and never had a problem either

I agree. I have never filled mine because of the mess.  The oil film on the bearings does not go away in a flash and is still fed with residual oil in the oiling chambers. I see a concern as being a bit on the obsessive side.
When starting after a filter change the pressure gauge responds within 3-4 seconds :Twocents:

A383Wing

yea....you will get more wear on an overnight cold start...at least with a warm engine when you change the oil, the bearings already have an oil film on them from running

if it takes longer than 3-5 seconds to get oil pressure after oil change, you gots more problems to worry about

my opinion

Kern Dog

I always fill mine, then let the oil soak into the paper. After a short time, the oil level is down about halfway.

Ghoste

Quote from: ws23rt on November 22, 2013, 09:29:59 PM
I see a concern as being a bit on the obsessive side.

Not the first time I`ve been accused of such.

Fred

It's like bringing up your kids...........you do whatever you think is best for them.

polywideblock

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

cudaken

Quote from: Fred on November 23, 2013, 07:10:33 PM
It's like bringing up your kids...........you do whatever you think is best for them.

So I should beat my oil filter butt?  :shruggy:

I only tried it one time when I was still in High School. Shop Teacher was a Bow Tie owner and told me I should fill the filter first. I tried to point out where the filter was located on my 68 Road Runner's 383, but he stopped me short and just told me to do it!  :shruggy:

10 Minutes later he spent 15 minutes bitching me out for dumping 3/4 of a quart of oil on the shop floor?  :shruggy:

With over 40 years of Big Block Mopar Power under my very big belt, never has been a problem. If you think about it, every time we start our BB's, there is only 1/4 of a quart any the filter anyway. :scratchchin:

Cuda Ken
I am back

Fred

When I said "you", I didn't mean "you" literally Ken.  ;D
So let me rephrase that........
It's like bringing up your kids...........one does whatever one thinks is best for them.

And the idea is to fill it with just enough oil so that when you fit it, the oil doesn't run out.   :yesnod:
Give my love to Flo.  :cheers:

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"