News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Green washer fluid

Started by Ghoste, November 18, 2013, 10:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

All the brands I know of locally for windshield washer fluid are blue, is there a brand that is more like the oem green?

ODZKing

maxwellwedge

It's not easy being green.  :yesnod:

Ghoste

No doubt.  You have to lobby politicians and create mass hysteria in the press, create guilt in the public and excite corporations about buying a new image.  It just never ends.

maxwellwedge

I was talking about Kermit... :lol:...but you are right

Ghoste

Do you not have some cars that you have entered into oem style judging?

maxwellwedge

My 440-6 Limelite 'Cuda was the last one....a few years ago....Got OE Gold and best of show. May go through it again with some other stuff but it is a huge undertaking of time, stress etc.   Ask Geno..... :lol:

Ghoste

Did they mark you on washer fluid colour?

maxwellwedge

To be honest - I don't remember..... :scratchchin:

UFO

For concours you can fake it . Plain water with food coloring.
Odds are it's not gonna clean the glass real well.  :lol:

green69rt

You're worried about green windshield fluid?  My opinion (unsupported by any proof, analysis, etc ) is that color depends on the manufacturer.  They add color to get what they want.  I've used blue, green, yellow never red or some other color.  Not a lot of diff.  Look at the content.  Newer fluids are usually propelyne glycol vs the old etheleyne glycol but I don't really think it makes a big hoo-hoo.  Mostly used to keep the fluid from freezing on the windshield.

So use what it takes to match the OEM color. 

Ghoste

Understand all that, my question is WHICH manufacturers?  Products locally all seem to be blue.

green69rt

Quote from: Ghoste on November 19, 2013, 10:49:59 PM
Understand all that, my question is WHICH manufacturers?  Products locally all seem to be blue.

Ahh, maybe now I understand, you want green??  Haven't seen that in a while.  Sorry, all I've seen lately is blue or pink.

JB400

Rain X and Windex makes a green version.  They're labeled as the bug remover but is still washer fluid.

Another option, make your own.

http://www.diynatural.com/homemade-windshield-washer-fluid/

Ghoste

Haven't noticed either of those Stroker but I'll look for them.  Thanks.

JB400

Both were listed on the Walmart website, but are sold only in stores.  Might have to ask the next time you're there.

Ghoste

I'll check.  It's actually one place I never go for auto products and rarely for much else either.  :cheers:

JB400

Napa, Autozone, and O Reilly's showed they had a version of it as well, at least on the websites.  All of them also had it labeled as the bug wash.

Ghoste

It could be a US only thing.  No O'Reillys or Autozone here and I checked the local NAPA.

bill440rt

Ghoste, yes as others have stated there are brands that offer green washer fluid, Rain X comes to mind and there are others. Most are labelled as Bug Remover.
I had it in my '70 when it was OE judged, afterward I emptied it out.
I wouldn't go the food coloring route, besides not working very well it will probably discolor or stain the bottle.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

I have the green Rain X or whatever brand with the bug remover in there for the past few years and it has not stained the reservoir.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Ghoste

I think Bill is referring to using food coloring as a stain risk.

ODZKing

It is my belief that it is not the color but the alcohol that dries out the reservoir making them brittle and eventually changing color.
I have no plans of driving either car in th rain so I don't put anything in mine. Even if I should get caught in the rain I wouldn't need it anyway.

Ghoste

I rarely use mine either and the color isn't that big a deal but if I can find it then what the hell, I'll put it in.

Dino

I like the blue stuff in my washer bottle, it's purdy.

I used to have a bottle of the yellow fluid, which you can turn to green by pouring some of the blue in there.  I can't remember where I got it though...
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.