News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The new beginning; Elephant with wings.... Whatcha think?

Started by hemi68charger, November 15, 2013, 08:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RIDELIKEHELL

AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

hemi68charger

More control arm stuff......... factory markings..........

Orange = passenger side
Blue = driver's side..

Disclaimer: I am in no way stipulating that the colors shown are assembly line correct hues of the colors they are......  :nana:

Now, research on the markings on the valve cover...... Jimbo?
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemi68charger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on June 12, 2014, 09:39:14 AM
Hey A.B.

Does this help? 69 4-speed. http://www.moparaction.com/Article/GTX-CELLENT/GTX-CELLENT.html

Thanks Jimbo...

I had your pictures from the old article. That's where I got my reminder on the colors of the torsion bar adjuster paint daub. On the valve covers, I see your part # has "21" whereas I have seen two other's with three digits "921" and "922" being a 4speed then auto respectively. So, I could go with either "22" or "922" I'm thinking? The markings on the GTX's passenger side is harder to make out and find other examples. Looks like a "D-6"?
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

maxwellwedge

AB
Here is a pic of a 69 Hemi Bee with "22" which is probably an auto in 69....can't remember at the moment.  :scratchchin:

The other cover of my GTX is actually a    9 - 0  upside down....which denotes a 4-speed on a hemi.

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on June 12, 2014, 01:10:00 PM
Here is a pic of a 69 Hemi Bee with "22" which is probably an auto in 69....can't remember at the moment.  :scratchchin:

Correct as usual   :2thumbs:

Jim - is your 'X a 3.54 or 4.10 car?  I have a reason for asking...

hemi68charger

AB
Here is a pic of a 69 Hemi Bee with "22" which is probably an auto in 69....can't remember at the moment.  :scratchchin:

The other cover of my GTX is actually a    9 - 0  upside down....which denotes a 4-speed on a hemi.

22 would be an auto based on the examples of 21's and 22's I have seen..... Soooooooooooooo, "22" it is !!!!!  Now, what do I do for the other side Mr. Jimbo !!??  :icon_smile_big:

Thanks Jimmy......
Troy

hemi68charger

This is what I'm going with "22"; my final answer, for better or worse, till death do us part...... It is what it is......  :icon_smile_big:
I'm going back to the clutch 216 fan style initially. Yes, the fan's dusty and it's not a 070 clutch......... I'm losing it.....  :o
Troy

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemigeno on June 12, 2014, 01:41:19 PM
Here is a pic of a 69 Hemi Bee with "22" which is probably an auto in 69....can't remember at the moment.  :scratchchin:

Correct as usual   :2thumbs:

Jim - is your 'X a 3.54 or 4.10 car?  I have a reason for asking...

Hey Geno - The "X" is a 4:10......and you are probably asking about a P/S cooler.....which it does NOT have.....   :yesnod:  Never seen them on any truly original 69 Hemi's. My '70 Hemi Challenger has one though....and that is very original as well.......Hmmmmmmm

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 12, 2014, 05:33:54 PM
AB

The other cover of my GTX is actually a    9 - 0  upside down....which denotes a 4-speed on a hemi.

22 would be an auto based on the examples of 21's and 22's I have seen..... Soooooooooooooo, "22" it is !!!!!  Now, what do I do for the other side Mr. Jimbo !!??  :icon_smile_big:

Thanks Jimmy......

Good question. Here is the other v/cover from the "22" marking car. Nothing I can see on the front but has this on the top. It may be a " 5 9" upside down which makes a little sense to me.....if you use the anology of the 4-speed 9 0....although it would make more sense if it was 9 5. Maybe Frank B. can help you with that.   :scratchchin:

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on June 13, 2014, 11:13:21 AM
Hey Geno - The "X" is a 4:10......and you are probably asking about a P/S cooler.....which it does NOT have.....   :yesnod:  Never seen them on any truly original 69 Hemi's. My '70 Hemi Challenger has one though....and that is very original as well.......Hmmmmmmm

You got it....  I was indeed wondering about the P/S cooler.  Troy and I discussed this a week or so ago, but I couldn't remember exactly what you'd told me before on this subject.  Hence the question-before-the-real-question.

Thanks, Jim!!

:cheers:

hemi68charger

Well, time for more "stuff". Test fitting the auxiliary transmission fluid cooler lines. These are standard equipment on Hemi-auto cars because of the higher stall speed converter used. I found the perfect place to route the one line, through the strength bend that runs along the latch tray. Not sure why Creative didn't put the line there, it fits with a slight bend forward. Guess it was easier hack the latch tray and route the line instead of forming the tube. I may form the tube some more so it approaches the latch tray at a perpendicular direction.
Troy

Charger-Bodie

You will need to remove that stuff later when you swap to a Hemi4speed.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

472 R/T SE

Jim, may I ask what one of your '70 Hemi auto cars' has for markings?

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on June 14, 2014, 04:45:17 PM
Jim, may I ask what one of your '70 Hemi auto cars' has for markings?
I don't recall there being any markings on my 70....but I will look.  :2thumbs:

Mytur Binsdirti

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on June 16, 2014, 06:08:22 PM
It's still not in?!?!?!?!   :shruggy:

NO !!!!!  It is a apparent Mark you have way more spare time on your hands than I do.  :slap:

I also live by the decree " One can't rush perfection"........ Not that I'm anywhere near there, but I'm giving it the ole' Notre Dame try............. Time to call Frank B.,

New brake system means new fluid. I went with this very high temp racing fluid. Under the hood of this Daytona, it can get warm....good stuff...

To address your observation Mark, I am hoping to put the motor in actually this weekend.......... I am making sure there is absolutely nothing I'm forgetting to do that should be done before the motor goes in....... I don't want any of these....  :brickwall:

capiche?  :icon_smile_big:

Troy

70Sbird

Troy,
Can you tell me some more about the brake fluid you chose? it looks like it's DOT 4 but maybe with a higher boiling point?

I just switched to Silicone (DOT 5) brake fluid for the same reason

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Scott Faulkner

thehemikid

...and DOT 5 want eat your paint.   :Twocents:

Has a ~50* higher boiling point than DOT 4, & ~80* more than DOT 3.  ...if Wiki is correct.

hemi68charger

Quote from: thehemikid on June 17, 2014, 02:34:11 PM
...and DOT 5 want eat your paint.   :Twocents:

Has a ~50* higher boiling point than DOT 4, & ~80* more than DOT 3.  ...if Wiki is correct.

Guess I might try it. The last time I did this I had DOT 3/4 in my system. Putting 5 in there is a no-no....... Don't mix and the rubber seals break down........
Troy

Aero426

The ATE Dot 4 in the blue can is as good as you need to go.   It probably has a higher boiling point than a DOT 3.      The ATE fluid is what I was told to get for my Porsche.  

Other thing to keep in mind, (probably most important) is to bleed off the old and add some new fluid every few years.     But this should be a regular maint item anyway.   Suck the fluid out of the master, refill and flush it through the bleeders.

As far as DOT 5, historically, I have heard stories of problem spongy pedals.     All the old DOT 3/4 fluid has to come out.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Aero426 on June 17, 2014, 04:57:39 PM
The ATE Dot 4 in the blue can is as good as you need to go.   It probably has a higher boiling point than a DOT 3.      The ATE fluid is what I was told to get for my Porsche.  

Other thing to keep in mind, (probably most important) is to bleed off the old and add some new fluid every few years.     But this should be a regular maint item anyway.   Suck the fluid out of the master, refill and flush it through the bleeders.

As far as DOT 5, historically, I have heard stories of problem spongy pedals.     All the old DOT 3/4 fluid has to come out.

Yeap, the Super Blue Dot 4 was deemed illegal after, many many many years, the Fed's discoverying it was dyed blue !!! It is illegal to have blue brake fluid. You can have clear and amber......... so, the can I have has the amber coloring. It is great so you can see when the new stuff is making its way out to the bleeder...
Troy

Aero426

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 17, 2014, 06:35:59 PM

Yeap, the Super Blue Dot 4 was deemed illegal after, many many many years, the Fed's discoverying it was dyed blue !!! It is illegal to have blue brake fluid.

Yes, ridiculous.   

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 16, 2014, 10:00:49 PM

To address your observation Mark, I am hoping to put the motor in actually this weekend..........

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

hemi68charger

Well, today was the day I brought together the 426 Hemi and Daytona. With the help from Tuffy and Jacob, things went pretty smooth. So, finished is a major milestone in Operation Hemi-Transplant.

Lot more to do, but this is one less thing......
Troy