News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering Box tightening??

Started by billschroeder5842, December 12, 2013, 03:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billschroeder5842

I'm having my 75 RR (re)aligned today to correct a steering wheel that was not straight.

The shop called and said that part of the reason I might be having an issue (and shimmy) was that my steering gear box was bad and needed replacing.

The car is 38 years old and probably needs everything eventually. However, the alignment was dead on and the car drives very well.

Is there an adjustment on the steering box to tighten up any play without messing up the alignment?

Thanks!
Texas Proud!

myk

That may be the case, however any competent shop would inform you of such a problem before even attempting to align your car; maybe they wouldn't have attempted it at all if your steering box/suspension is that badly worn/damaged...

John_Kunkel

The majority of the worm gear/sector shaft wear occurs within a few degrees of straight ahead, this can be adjusted to make it tighter but this often causes the clearance to be too tight when the wheel is turned past that "few degrees" zone.

It's better to replace the parts rather than attempt adjustment.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.