News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear axle bearing replacement

Started by sanders7981, November 14, 2013, 06:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanders7981

Gurus out there... Please take a look at the pic.  I am "carefully" cutting off the old cup on the axle shaft.  How far down does it go on the shaft?  Is it just the round collar piece, or does it go to the end of the shaft where the outer ridge is?  I don't want to cut into the actual shaft and mess it up.  Thanks in advance!!

ws23rt

It's hard to say what you mean with your terms.
I would cut a narrow groove in the collar and the inner race of the bearing close to the axial shaft. Then use a chisel/wedge shape to split the collar and bearing race. They will then slide off easily.

New picture?   Do you have a press to install the new bearing?

sanders7981

Sorry for my confusing question.  Looking at the charger repair manual, it says the "cone", which I will assume is the shiny cylinder part, needs to be pressed off the shaft.  I just didn't want to cut to far to the end of the shaft where the hub is.  I do have a press at the base hobby shop.  I think I will just take them tomorrow and see if I can press them off before cutting them.

ws23rt

If you can press them off all the better. But cutting into them with a grinder works fine as well. Just be careful to stop short of the shaft. :2thumbs:

BTW getting a good support on the bearing race to press it off is not easy. Pressing on the new ones is.

The inner race (the tapered part) has the same inner diameter as the collar. just grind close to the shaft and try the chisel. The bearing material is brittle. You should be able to see a crack in the groove after the chisel hit. It will then slide off the shaft with easy tapping.

Fred

I would do it like ws23rt mentioned. That's the quickest way. Just cut a groove with an angle grinder and split them with a chisel and hammer.
I've been doing it like that forever and it has never failed.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

sanders7981

Thanks again guys, I will give it a go tomorrow after work. Need to pick up some more grinding discs.   :cheers: