News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Right Stuff power brake conversion kit

Started by sanders7981, November 13, 2013, 04:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanders7981

Power brake conversion kit and stainless steel brake lines from Right Stuff came in... I should get to install it over the next few days.  I have read on here that some of you had a couple issues with some components of the kit not fitting correctly.  Hopefully, this will be an easy conversion!  I spent the past couple day ripping out the rear axle and prepping it.  Just need to get my green bearings in the mail then I can out it all together and drop it back on all four wheels.

Dino

I think the issues were relatively small.  Just plan on having to tweak some things and it'll save you a headache in the end.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

lasvegas69charg

I used the same kit and really had no issues with fitment. Brakes work great and looks really nice. I went with black powder coat calipers and slotted/crossdrilled rotors with sst  lines.  The one problem I did have was not having the porportioning valve set right.  I currently use the vacuum pump but thinking about going to hydrobooster.
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

sanders7981

Awesome info!  Thanks guys.  I hope to knock out the front today, still waiting on the green bearings to arrive so the rear will have to wait.

sanders7981

Did you. Mount the calipers front facing on the disc, or rear facing?  I read that some kits inter fear with the swaybar. 

lasvegas69charg

I installed mine on the rear side of the rotor
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

NHCharger

I bought the front brake disc kit for my 68 at Carlisle this year. Hope to finish it tomorrow. I bought mine from Fine Lines but from what I've seen when shopping for the conversion kit is that a lot of these vendors are selling the same kit. I've had two issues. 1. Fine Lines had to send me a different rubber boot for the firewall hole. 2. The two brake lines from the master cylinder to the prop valve were 4" short. I called them and had the correct lines in a few days.
The directions say to check the clearance when mounting the front calipers. Had clearance issues on the front so the calipers are mounted on back side.
Another member warned me that he had problems with converting to stainless lines. the fittings were  leaking. Had to back them all off and re-seat them again 
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

sanders7981

I have another thread about wheel studs, because the kit requires me to use longer wheel studs on the rear axle since they are too short for my vintage vectors.... So I decided to check and see if the front would fit... And they don't.  Same thing there, the hubs that came with the kit are too short also.  Now I am stuck and unsure of what to do next.  Do I get longer studs for both from and rear?  Shouldn't the front hubs from rightstuff fit the rims?

NHCharger

What size rims are you using? Their manual said that with the disc brake conversion the minimum size rim you could use is 15". My 68 came with 14" rallyes which I planned on replacing anyway but after installing the disc brakes I couldn't even use the wheels just to set the car back on the ground.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

sanders7981

I have a set if both 14 inch and 15 inch vectors.  The problem is that the stud holes are to thick not allowing the studs to stick out.  It's like the rim thickness is about 1 1/8 inch which puts the studs about 1/8 inch inside the hole.  The 14s have about a 1/4 inch clearance all around, but it am not installing those on it.  My 15 inch vectors are 5x5.5 which are obviously not drilled for our rotors. 

sanders7981

Figured out my problem... I was using the wrong lug nuts.  :slap:  I have the ones that screw down into the hole. Crisis resolved. Lol.