News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Project 37

Started by Cooter, November 12, 2013, 08:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooter

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 29, 2013, 10:44:07 PM
Looks like you're having fun :2thumbs:  How much more engineering do you have to do till you have a rolling chassis? :popcrn:
I gotta get the front mount for the spring, then the Radius rods. Oh, and I gotta find me another 4.10 geared "truck" Dana 60 to convert over to car for the back since I'm gonna have to narrow the rear anyway.
A ways off yet, but I'm in no real hurry. The cab will need ALOT of fab work. It really is a PITA to look as if you spent no money when you actually didn't.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: Cooter on November 29, 2013, 11:23:33 PM
Actually, Diesels have become the "LS" swaps of the Rat Scene. Way over done. only reason you don't see any more of them is the cost to build. Way too much for way too little savings on fuel.

Fuel savings wasn't really part of the equation. The torque......and that I have one.....well maybe have one to spare, depending on what it costs to fix the Dodge it's sitting in. So engine cost isn't that big a part of the equation either. Just a what if. 

Cooter

Front of frame and straight axle this weekend hopefully.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

JB400

Quote from: Cooter on December 05, 2013, 09:01:35 AM
Front of frame and straight axle this weekend hopefully.
I assume that is so if weather permits.  It's supposed to be pretty nasty this weekend.  Hope everyone stays safe.

Cooter

Well, seein as how the wifey is laid up right now, I'll most likely take it to the shop.

Cooter

Ok, Got a lot done this weekend. Sleeting out right now, so I decided to fab up the front end.

Got the Front section of IFS cut off and stretched frame about 1'.

Used the old Toyota Bumper Brackets for the Top Center mount.

Fabbed the 'Hair pins' [Radius Arms] Today. Used new Toyota Outter tie rods and what was left of the original Inner tie rods in the rear.

ws23rt

I like following your project.  :2thumbs:   This is a kind of thing that is more fun than recreating something that someone else made.

I can also see you have a good sense of where things need to be strong.  (did this come from breaking things :lol:)

You have a good sense and feel for the forces you expect.  And I'm sure that when it's done you can predict the breaking points :cheers:

Cooter

Quote from: ws23rt on December 08, 2013, 06:58:23 PM
I like following your project.  :2thumbs:   This is a kind of thing that is more fun than recreating something that someone else made.
Thanks. Figured it was something besides another Orange Charger, or another Hemi this, or that.
I can also see you have a good sense of where things need to be strong.  (did this come from breaking things :lol:)
I don't know bout a good sense, but yes, I have broken too many parts over the years, and this thing is called a suicide front end for a reason.

You have a good sense and feel for the forces you expect.  And I'm sure that when it's done you can predict the breaking points :cheers: Well, won't know for sure till I drive it and find out what is needed if anything, but I think It'll be ok.

JB400

Looks pretty good. :cheers:  Glad you figured out your steering situation.

Getting freezing drizzle.  The wreckers have been busy tonight.  A semi spun out on an overpass and blocked two lanes of traffic. :slap:

Cooter

Well, actually the steering box and linkage is next as well as a title.

Cooter

Wheel Adapters Came in as well as the one spindle nut I needed.
Gonna try and get something done tomorrow.

rt green

sure does look like fun
third string oil changer

Cooter

Working on cab floors right now. Got all the wooden block mounts removed and replaced with metal.
Got the back of cab welded up and braced. Cleaned up cowl and vent. Then, I miss stepped and reached to catch myself cutting tge hell outta my finger.....Gave up for the day at that point.

Cooter

This was right before the great fall which Was when I cut my finger.

Got one patch panel fabbed from scratch. A lot of time, but it didn't cost my anywhere near the 'Pre fabbed' ones.

Back side shown with inner panel like factory, with additional up and down brace so it won't collapse when cab is rolled back up right.

JB400

Cooter

Finally got the other side (driver) done, and finished the back patch along the bottom of cab.
Rust repair is complete.
Gotta weld in bracing under dash for a body cage and 4speed pedals.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Cooter

Gotta try and get some pics up. I got a mock up of the truck the other day as my boy was in from the military.
got clutch pedals from an A body installed. Workin on locating another Dana 60, but may have to run a Ford truck 8.8....

Got cab on frame finally.

cdr

hey COOTER i don't know how i missed this!!!  THIS IS AWESOME!!!!! :2thumbs:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Cooter

Yes, Here at F&P Performance, we are Finally back at this one. Been trying to help out on everybody else's rides.

Front end is a little stretched in this pic., but you get the idea. Won't sit quite this low. Toyota Pick Up Frame fit perfectly too. Now, I'm having issues with a title.
My "Hook up" just got busted with an audit. She has been there for YEARS, and those pesky fees? She would just kinda "wave" some of em. guess the Va. DOT/DMV frowns upon helping the American Working person. Now, I'm off to attempt this in Lynchburg with a Bill-o-sale. Truck Came outta New York which didn't start issuing titles till 1972. There never was a title to this truck, so I guess I'm the "original Owner". :D
Just have to kinda imagine a 440, painted black, maybe orange, Tunnel Ram with twin 750 Annular Booster Venturies, Velosity Stacks with K&N Air Cleaners, ZOOMIES like on a Funny Car. (Yes, I'm NOT planning on running any exhaust) I'm going for my arch nemesis here. LOUD, obnoxious, Stupid fast, crazily overpowered, and a mean b*tch to drive with suicide front end.

XH29N0G

Best of luck on your quest.  And thanks for posting.  It is fun to read.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Cooter

F&P Performance's "Project 37" is on the frame finally. After cutting the Factory Toyota Cab mount off, I reworked em to fit the 37.

JB400

Cooter

Snowed like hell here, and 65 degrees Sunday. Not much progress to report.

green69rt

Did you fab the firewall and the engine setback hole in it or just refrub an old one, amazingly straight and clean!!!