News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Project 37

Started by Cooter, November 12, 2013, 08:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooter

Quote from: green69rt on March 04, 2014, 12:29:41 PM
Did you fab the firewall and the engine setback hole in it or just refrub an old one, amazingly straight and clean!!!

Actually, that's the stock firewall. Remember, these trucks had 6 cyl. That were long as hell.
To be outta New York, I too was surprized at how straight and 'mostly' rust free it was.
I'm just glad to have it on a frame. Funny, I get more interest here than on the Rat Rod site.

I'm waiting for my rearend to arrive. Looks like an 8.8 Ford as it's cheap as hell. 4.10, sure grip, and correct wheel lug pattern.
only problem will be the drive shaft. Going from Chrysler to Ford. I did it once with the T5 in the GL, so one more time I guess.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Cooter

Not too much of an update, but progress has slowed due to Va. DMV giving me he'll bout titling this thing.
funny, I had almost no trouble back in 2008 titling Christine with just a bill of sale. I have been mailing paperwork off to Richmond for the past 5 months. It seems every time I fill out the required papers they send me, I get it all sent back with yet, MORE papers to fill out depending on who gets it. Each person seems to be different in their ideas of what needs and doesn't need to be done. While I understand about the scammers switching VIN numbers and all, it doesn't make it any less frustrating.
now, it seems I have a perfectly good VIN number yet they want me to apply for a "reconstructed vehicle" VIN. I know when comes sale time, this can cause price to drop dramatically. Although I can't see why as long as the damn thing has a clear title, WTF does it matter???
Anyway, I am informed it will be about $275.00 in fees IF I get this thing titled and Registered. Since 2008, that's up from $65.00.... $125.00 just so the trooper can 'varify' my VIN. and mechanics are rip off artists???

Will keep informed on the saga as I'm trying to do this legit. I WILL have a title, I just don't wanna have to use my back door approach just yet.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ACUDANUT

A Chebby with a Mopar engine. Say it ain't so.

Cooter

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 18, 2014, 11:53:18 AM

Yet, some cream their shorts for a certain 32' Ford with a Hemi in it.....could be worse, could be a 37 Dodge with a small block Chevy in it.....how you want it?

JB400

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 18, 2014, 11:53:18 AM
Most would call that an improvement.  

green69rt

Quote from: Cooter on May 18, 2014, 11:29:44 AM
Not too much of an update, but progress has slowed due to Va. DMV giving me he'll bout titling this thing.
funny, I had almost no trouble back in 2008 titling Christine with just a bill of sale. I have been mailing paperwork off to Richmond for the past 5 months. It seems every time I fill out the required papers they send me, I get it all sent back with yet, MORE papers to fill out depending on who gets it. Each person seems to be different in their ideas of what needs and doesn't need to be done. While I understand about the scammers switching VIN numbers and all, it doesn't make it any less frustrating.
now, it seems I have a perfectly good VIN number yet they want me to apply for a "reconstructed vehicle" VIN. I know when comes sale time, this can cause price to drop dramatically. Although I can't see why as long as the damn thing has a clear title, WTF does it matter???
Anyway, I am informed it will be about $275.00 in fees IF I get this thing titled and Registered. Since 2008, that's up from $65.00.... $125.00 just so the trooper can 'varify' my VIN. and mechanics are rip off artists???

Will keep informed on the saga as I'm trying to do this legit. I WILL have a title, I just don't wanna have to use my back door approach just yet.

Yeah, the right person makes all the diff.  I went 3 or 5 rounds with the DMV about getting my car titled.  I didn't want a license, just title.   Finally went, in person, and found a little old lady that said " oh yes, you want a 'title only' transfer, here's the form!!!"  Amazing! My advice, go in person and be prepared to ask for someone that knows how the system works.

I was at the point of asking a friend to give me a valid inspection ( on a car with cut off exhaust, no brakes and big holes in the floor) just so I could get the title transfered.

Cooter

Problem is, I don't need a title transfer, I need a title for a truck that hasn't had a title ever. In it's life.
plus, no more titles issued at local DMV. Must be mailed to Richmond.

green69rt

Oh, now I see what's going on.  Working thru the mail.  Not only slow but getting involved with a different person each time.  Even tougher situation than mine, and mine almost drove me nuts.

Cooter

A little update:
Just gotta call from the inspector who handles VIN inspections. Super nice guy. Explained everything and told me he's gonna try and help me get er done. In order to be titled with my original VIN number and non reconstructed title (assigned VIN#), the frame would have to match cab number. I have no frame number, so it will be assigned the original VIN number, just has 'recontructed' in frt. Of 37 Chevy.

Holy crap what a pita.

JB400

Cooter

I was surprised at how cool and helpful  this trooper was.  :woohoo:

nvrbdn

looks like a fun project. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Cooter

It will be soon as I can get back on it. Don't wanna waste time/money if can't title.
hasn't been titled in 75 years. So does that tech. Make me the original owner? :icon_smile_big:

Cooter

Inspection is tomorrow at high noon. :angel:

JB400

Cooter

Well, looks promising so far.  No title issued today. Paperwork must be filed. The original VIN tags were on the pass. Side of cowl, on side where rear of hood side would set. For some reason, the inspector didn't think that was correct. I know from all the 37's I've seen, it is. However, I have to provide a bill of sale to myself on which engine/trans/rear I'm installing. So basically, I have to make this 37 rat rod "numbers matching" even though it's assembled with different parts. I have to stamp my frame with VIN number as well. Basically, he stated so if it's stolen, the numbers to the entire truck are recorded.

The truck will be a "recontructed 37 Chevy truck" with hopefully, the original VIN#.

nvrbdn

definately sounds promising. good deal. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Cooter

I knew with my luck it just couldn't happen without the ole tailpipe fu*kin. They say mechanics are rip off artists. Try to get a title through local DMV. you will see who the true extortionists are.
it seems that the entire druvetrain MUST be in the vehicle before verification. It doesn't say s nothing bout that in my paperwork. Paid out $210.00 for VIN inspection. Once all numbers are recorded,  must pay another $125.00 for reinspect.

So far, it looks like to me it's gonna cost somewhere round $350.00 just to drive this thing. I knew I shoulda just went around this bullsh*t.

Cooter

Update: (no pics yet) need an app.
F&P's "project 37 is a rolling chassis with Ford 8.8 4.10 posi. (For some reason, Dana truck rears have gone stupid on money and 8 3/4 wouldn't hold up to a stroker and 4-spd)
Good to have it on all fours.

Picked up a Duster from an old high school buddy who lost part of his left leg. Had the car for over 28 years. He just gave to me so it wouldn't rust away, and knew I'd do somethin with it. Promised him a ride when it's done.

Had to put a JWW PERFORMANCE 46RE in the mule (99 ram).

Been a busy 6months at F&P Performance. Even got to meet Tom Wopat through a very good friend. He got him to come to his house and sing.