News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Project 37

Started by Cooter, November 12, 2013, 08:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooter

Since I can't find my original thread....

1937 Chevy Truck Hot rod project.

Here's what I have so far.
Will be Chrysler 440 Powered, tunnel ram with twin 750 Holley Double pumpers. A833 4-Speed, with Narrowed Dana 60. [Yes, I know I showed pics of the Challenger engine and trans, but you get the idea]
Wheels and tires will be Centerline Auto Drag. 31X18.50X15" in rear, and 3 1/2" X15" in front.

I have a straight axle modded to run later second gen Camaro rotors, but Am looking at WAY much fabrication to get it on frame rails. I'm trying not to spend any money unless I have to, therefore, this project might be months without updates. I am outside. No shop. I borrow when I can but lately, everybody and their brother seems to want an arm and a leg in rent. I refuse. I'll build it outside with junk I have collected.

Here's what I have so far.

I have done a lot of resto work but took VERY few pics. I had to buy a windshield frame. Sucked. Spent too much $$. But the original was toast when I got the truck.
Rebuilt both doors. Working on dash now. Frame will be later on as the money allows.

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Cooter

I'm using a 1994 Toyota pick up frame. Found a little rust behind fuel tank that had to be fixed.

Finally got the rear frame half Z'd. Yes, that 440 Looks weird. It's one dem plastic mock up thingies.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

JB400

Looks like a good selection of parts.  Hope the weather holds out for you this season so you can get something accomplished.

I've got my popcorn ready until the next update :popcrn: :popcrn:

Cooter

Thanks Stroker. Updates will come as I get things done. This posted on another forum as well. Just figured yall might get a kick out of it.
They have an under $3k club. Trying real hard to make it. I'm about $700.00 in so far.

JB400

Does that include the price of the stuff you've acquired over the years?

Cooter

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: Cooter on November 13, 2013, 06:53:43 PM
Thanks Stroker. Updates will come as I get things done. This posted on another forum as well. Just figured yall might get a kick out of it.
They have an under $3k club. Trying real hard to make it. I'm about $700.00 in so far.

Sounds good to me. :2thumbs: Like the idea of under 3K. More fun per $$$ :2thumbs:

Low $$$ builds always interest me. 440s do too. So do 833s. You got my interest covered a number of ways. :yesnod:

Not too keen on the Toy frame......likely something you had? Or is there some reason it "fits" better? I have always thought a Dakota frame would be a reasonable place to start.....possibly because I have one.....

Definitely interesting, Mr Cooter.

Cooter

Well as I learned, the Dakota as well as the Chevy S 10 frames are too wide.
If your running fenders with IFS, no problem. If NOT, you WILL catch as much hell as putting a SBC 350 in a Duster.

The Toyota/Izusu/Honda passport frames mimic the originals closely, and are boxed.

Baldwinvette77

This is awesome  :popcrn: , so is it gonna be rat rod, primed hotrod... or are you gonna splurge and paint it  :D

JB400

Quote from: dyslexic teddybear on November 17, 2013, 12:32:15 AM

Sounds good to me. :2thumbs: Like the idea of under 3K. More fun per $$$ :2thumbs:

Low $$$ builds always interest me. 440s do too. So do 833s. You got my interest covered a number of ways. :yesnod:

Not too keen on the Toy frame......likely something you had? Or is there some reason it "fits" better? I have always thought a Dakota frame would be a reasonable place to start.....possibly because I have one.....

Definitely interesting, Mr Cooter.
I guess there are certain "rules" when building a "rat" rod.

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: Cooter on November 17, 2013, 06:59:50 AM
If your running fenders with IFS, no problem. If NOT, you WILL catch as much hell as putting a SBC 350 in a Duster.

The Toyota/Izusu/Honda passport frames mimic the originals closely, and are boxed.

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

As is often the case, I miss the obvious.......width of the frame. A very narrow cab.......I can think of a couple way to get around it, but your way is certainly cheaper/easier.  :2thumbs:

Normally, I'm VERY against crossbreeding......a Chevy in a Duster.....I'd be one of the guys looking for a voodoo doll to stick pins in. Or worse.

But this is a very different build. What works and is cheap, has a lotta appeal.

Curious.....any additional bracing planned for that kickup? I do tend to over engineer things sometimes, but I kinda wonder how that will hold up to a 440/manual...... thinking possible pretzel if it hooks.....

Ghoste

The 440 in a Chev already made it a cross breed.  :lol:  But hasn't that always been one of the hallmarks of hot rodding that you utilize whatever works?

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: Ghoste on November 17, 2013, 10:23:04 AM
The 440 in a Chev already made it a cross breed.  :lol:  But hasn't that always been one of the hallmarks of hot rodding that you utilize whatever works?

Agree......seems it would be a definition of a "rod". Use what ever that works.....and it's not like the original available drivetrains were really performance oriented. So, crossbreeding was kinda necessary.

To each his own, and just my opinion......but where you get into the "muscle" era, everybody made a combination that could be used and work very well.....so in my eyes, there's no need to do it.

Admit my opinion may be colored by experiences with my Challenger Rallye. Discounting good natured ribbing from friends......the only negative/rude comments came from morons with a bowtie. Certainly not all Chevy guys, just the morons.

Back to the excellent original idea.....bang for the buck! :yesnod:

Cooter

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on November 17, 2013, 07:34:42 AM
This is awesome  :popcrn: , so is it gonna be rat rod, primed hotrod... or are you gonna splurge and paint it  :D

I'm just doing sinister black flat paint.

Cooter

Quote from: dyslexic teddybear on November 17, 2013, 10:14:47 AM
Quote from: Cooter on November 17, 2013, 06:59:50 AM

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

As is often the case, I miss the obvious.......width of the frame. A very narrow cab.......I can think of a couple way to get around it, but your way is certainly cheaper/easier.  :2thumbs:

Normally, I'm VERY against crossbreeding......a Chevy in a Duster.....I'd be one of the guys looking for a voodoo doll to stick pins in. Or worse.

But this is a very different build. What works and is cheap, has a lotta appeal.

Curious.....any additional bracing planned for that kickup? I do tend to over engineer things sometimes, but I kinda wonder how that will hold up to a 440/manual...... thinking possible pretzel if it hooks.....
That's just it. This pos ain't gonna hook in a 50 acre field, but should do some narly rolling burnouts.
At hopefully, 2500 lbs and close to 450 hp, I'd think even spinning it should hold its own at the track..

Cooter

green69rt

So, are you having fun??  Sounds like you are, spend a few $$ and spend a little time... big reward.   I like it!!!

Cooter

I guess I have to admit its fun not trying to make it look good. Everything is done safe, but cheap.
Can't wait to drive this turd with Zoomies.

green69rt

Have a good time. sounds like that's where you're heading.  More pics!!!!

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: Cooter on November 19, 2013, 10:25:10 PM
Everything is done safe,

2500lbs-450hp, and you don't expect it to hook......yep, everything is done safe. :scratchchin:

I like it :2thumbs:  Seriously, sounds like fun. The safe part.....I've seen quite a few that didn't get that memo. It might look cool......but personally, I would like a reasonable chance of surviving should something unplanned happen.

Very curious how you do this one. Will be watching :popcrn:

Cooter

Well, seeing as the original cab has no inner bracing to mount my A body pedals to, I'm thinking full on roll cage.
Plus, just because it gets hairy to drive doesn't mean the truck is 'unsafe'...the driver might be, but that's another discussion.

FlatbackFanatic

I think its going to look Bad Ass when your done. Good luck, and posting pics. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

ws23rt

Quote from: Cooter on November 21, 2013, 01:00:50 PM
Well, seeing as the original cab has no inner brscing to mount my A hody pedals to, I'm thinking full on roll cage.
Plus, just because it gets hairy to drive doesn't mean the truck is 'unsafe'...the driver might be, but that's another discussion.

Your comment about safety perked my ears up. :2thumbs:

We tend to forget that what gets us into trouble with an idea of something fun is the driver not knowing (or forgetting) their limits.

Top fuel drivers know they are driving an explosion but some back yard builders can lose track of practical safety.

I'm talking to myself as well as commenting.  Looking forward to driving my hemi bike :lol:

Cooter

Got the front disk brakes fabbed. Now to try and get this straight axle mounted.