News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Small "Thunk", Now Pull -FIXED!-

Started by HeavyFuel, November 10, 2013, 07:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

Backing out of the driveway today, turned the steering wheel CC, making the back of the car go left, in order to go right.  

I normally don't turn the wheel "lock to lock", but in this case it did end up going full to the left.   At that point I heard a small thunk, and when I started forward and down the street, the steering wants to pull to the right.

What could have thunked out of position to cause a pull to the right?   :shruggy:

fy469rtse

Had that happen to me also, car seemed to alter wheel alignment,
slight clunking also and seemed to wander on the road
after investigating, turned out to be top arm caster camber bolt, if your are originals they can fatigued , or stripped, try do them up tight and it will become obvious which one is junk

HeavyFuel

I thought that might be the culprit........I don't know what else it could possibly be.

My stuff is all new, but I'll give those a look to see if they're tight.

HeavyFuel

It was the valve on top of the steering gearbox.  (Thanks, John K.)     :2thumbs:

I use two plates of plexi-glass with lube between under my front tires when I adjust the front end.   As soon as I started the engine, the wheel started self steering to the right.

The weird thing is, I had to tap the valve OPPOSITE from what the shop manual said.  Tapping it up made the wheel go to the right, down made it go left. You don't have to move the valve much to get results, either!

Ghoste

Nice to hear it was an easy adjustment and not a part replacement.

1974dodgecharger

Hf,
What valve on top of gear box? I have the same symptoms as yours I hear a clunk at full max steering.  Then if I keep it there and turn it clicks, clicks so I don't turn her all the way.

Quote from: HeavyFuel on November 15, 2013, 09:31:08 AM
It was the valve on top of the steering gearbox.  (Thanks, John K.)     :2thumbs:

I use two plates of plexi-glass with lube between under my front tires when I adjust the front end.   As soon as I started the engine, the wheel started self steering to the right.

The weird thing is, I had to tap the valve OPPOSITE from what the shop manual said.  Tapping it up made the wheel go to the right, down made it go left. You don't have to move the valve much to get results, either!

HeavyFuel

Here it is.....at least for a '68.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: HeavyFuel on November 15, 2013, 03:37:31 PM
Here it is.....at least for a '68.

Ugh wow..ok gotta check mine out looks like power steering. Mines a manual thx man...it's annoying hearing the thunk and she wanders.

charger Downunder

Cant you check this by jacking up the front of the car. Start the car with the wheel turned and the wheels should center them selves.?
[/quote]

doctor4766

Quote from: HeavyFuel on November 15, 2013, 09:31:08 AM

Nearly broke my left arm when I adjusted mine and started it up. The wheel spun so quickly it caught me off guard with my left hand on the steering wheel.

Just another view on the clunk:
My car was doing something similar and we discovered the steering box bolts were loose.
Each time I'd change direction fron reverse to forward and brake, there'd be a clunk that was quite noticeable when braking. Just once for each direction and then not detectable again until I'd brake going the other way.
Worth checking, as it could have become a much bigger problem.
Gotta love a '69