News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dash Cams

Started by 74bluecharger440, November 10, 2013, 10:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

74bluecharger440

I'm seeing lots of videos from Russia taken with dash cams to prevent false insurance claims and such.. Thinking of getting one , but need some info. Anyone have a brand that easily goes from vehicle to vehicle without too much effort.

Lighthorseman

When I finally get a nose on my "Birdible", I'm going to want a "nose-cam" to make sure I don't bend the beak on anything.   :D

I think one that you can use on multiple vehicles is a great idea.  Some sort of quick disconnect, maybe?  Of note, Ebay and the like seem to be rife with portable units that include the camera, hard drive and viewscreen all in one...for as low as 25 bucks in some cases.

J.Bond

I've been using a Go Pro Hero 2. On the car ,in the car, and a helmut cam from time to time. Works great for me.

Lighthorseman

Quote from: J.Bond on November 10, 2013, 10:33:19 AM
I've been using a Go Pro Hero 2. On the car ,in the car, and a helmut cam from time to time. Works great for me.

...another excellent excuse to pick one up.  What a great idea.

A383Wing

my son has a Go-pro on his mountain bike & motorcycle helmet....unit cost around $200....but has a very nice clear picture...unlike some of those Russian videos I have seen

Fred

My dash cam plugs into my cigarette lighter so I can use it in all of my cars.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

myk

Quote from: Fred on November 10, 2013, 10:15:24 PM

Hmmm...maybe I WILL reconnect my 'cig lighter...

Fred

Quote from: myk on November 10, 2013, 10:30:05 PM
Quote from: Fred on November 10, 2013, 10:15:24 PM

Hmmm...maybe I WILL reconnect my 'cig lighter...

Well it sure makes life easier.

1974dodgecharger

is the gopro recording itself or does it need to connect to a laptop with a hard drive?  Does it have its own internal HD?

A383Wing

it's like a digital camera...has memory card that videos are stored on...then transfer to your hard drive

bull

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on November 10, 2013, 11:24:04 PM
is the gopro recording itself or does it need to connect to a laptop with a hard drive?  Does it have its own internal HD?

Pretty sure GoPros have no internal memory. They just use those little SD memory cards that plug into most computers, or you can use a USB cable and leave the card in the camera.

1974dodgecharger

time for me to find one now...damn more money for the charger when does it end.

I think I spend roughly 15k this year on the charger and have nothing to show for it really  :brickwall:

myk

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on November 11, 2013, 02:45:59 AM

I think I spend roughly 15k this year on the charger and have nothing to show for it really  :brickwall:

What chu talkin 'bout Willis?  You have a big beautiful blue brute; that's plenty to show for. 

You're not alone though, man.  I just got back from a 2-month long involuntary vacation from the Charger and you know what?  It felt good not having to worry about spending more money on it for just a little while.  Sometimes it just gets to be too much...

74bluecharger440

so my understanding is that the gopro is the one to buy .. I think I'll wait for boxing day and see if they  go on sale.

J.Bond

Quote from: 74bluecharger440 on November 11, 2013, 06:52:45 AM
so my understanding is that the gopro is the one to buy .. I think I'll wait for boxing day and see if they  go on sale.

That would be your best bet, the camera alone is a couple hundred, then you will need some accessories, mounting kit, remote control,remote screen,etc. As side from Charger use, if you ride an Atv, snowmobile or hunt, or anything else that you do, that has either action or scenery, it is a must have. How many times I have returned home from a wicked snowmobile tour and tried to explain what I have just seen. Not any more, pull the card , and a couple of seconds later, your adding commentary!!!!!!!!

maxwellwedge

I am going to go with a high lift, roller dash cam.....I better check my lens to windshield clearance.... :lol:

J.Bond

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 11, 2013, 08:29:20 AM
I am going to go with a high lift, roller dash cam.....I better check my lens to windshield clearance.... :lol:

Ha!!!!! :lol:!!!!!!!

I have heard people have used Go Pro's to check suspension clearences on new builds; how many times, have you had to, have a friend try to find a rattle or noise, while driving down the road.Just saying, it might help keep the friend count up..........

Also, Big Sugar sent me a pic last week or so ago on my cell, titled Go Pro. What I saw was, a huge movie camera attached to his hood. First thought, Russion Go Pro, go figure!!!!!! I will get him to explain.

Dino

I saw a segment on GoPro's and its creator last night on 60 minutes.  I want one but didn't really have a need for it.  I do like the idea of a dash cam though so I will have to look into this a bit more.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Fred

I think I spend roughly 15k this year on the charger and have nothing to show for it really  :brickwall:

But if you plug it into your cigarette lighter it needn't be for just the charger. Use it in your daily driver as well.
In regards to not having anything to show for it.........I think myk summed it up.  :2thumbs:

Dino

It ends when the car goes bye bye or you do.   :icon_smile_big:

Look on the bright side, what else would you do with all that money?   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

oldcarnut

I got a go pro for Christmas last year and yet to use it.   One thing is that some dash cams record over previous recordings so you never have to worry about running out of memory.  I want one too but would prefer the smaller ones that transfer easy from car to car and attach right to the windshield small enough to go behind the mirror.  They have apps for cell phones too that do the same thing.

69hemidaytona

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 11, 2013, 08:29:20 AM
Use an oil with plenty of zinc too. :slap:

1974dodgecharger

seriously some of the folks walking into the road caused some of those accidents in russia they just casually walk right front of a fast moving vehicle? WTF!!!
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 11, 2013, 06:58:07 AM
This explains why they are needed in Russia....

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-russian-drivers-have-dash-cams-2012-12

Some good stuff here.....

http://www.youtube.com/embed/5RAaW_1FzYg?autoplay=1&modestbranding=1&rel=0&showinfo=0

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/83419573/

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/83656151/

A383Wing

I have seen some dash cams on ebay for under $50 with accessories included....while they may not be the top of the line, for what the OP was gonna do with it, it might be an option.