News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dash Cams

Started by 74bluecharger440, November 10, 2013, 10:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

74bluecharger440

I'm seeing lots of videos from Russia taken with dash cams to prevent false insurance claims and such.. Thinking of getting one , but need some info. Anyone have a brand that easily goes from vehicle to vehicle without too much effort.

Lighthorseman

When I finally get a nose on my "Birdible", I'm going to want a "nose-cam" to make sure I don't bend the beak on anything.   :D

I think one that you can use on multiple vehicles is a great idea.  Some sort of quick disconnect, maybe?  Of note, Ebay and the like seem to be rife with portable units that include the camera, hard drive and viewscreen all in one...for as low as 25 bucks in some cases.

J.Bond

I've been using a Go Pro Hero 2. On the car ,in the car, and a helmut cam from time to time. Works great for me.

Lighthorseman

Quote from: J.Bond on November 10, 2013, 10:33:19 AM
I've been using a Go Pro Hero 2. On the car ,in the car, and a helmut cam from time to time. Works great for me.

...another excellent excuse to pick one up.  What a great idea.

A383Wing

my son has a Go-pro on his mountain bike & motorcycle helmet....unit cost around $200....but has a very nice clear picture...unlike some of those Russian videos I have seen

Fred

My dash cam plugs into my cigarette lighter so I can use it in all of my cars.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

myk

Quote from: Fred on November 10, 2013, 10:15:24 PM

Hmmm...maybe I WILL reconnect my 'cig lighter...

Fred

Quote from: myk on November 10, 2013, 10:30:05 PM
Quote from: Fred on November 10, 2013, 10:15:24 PM

Hmmm...maybe I WILL reconnect my 'cig lighter...

Well it sure makes life easier.

1974dodgecharger

is the gopro recording itself or does it need to connect to a laptop with a hard drive?  Does it have its own internal HD?

A383Wing

it's like a digital camera...has memory card that videos are stored on...then transfer to your hard drive

bull

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on November 10, 2013, 11:24:04 PM
is the gopro recording itself or does it need to connect to a laptop with a hard drive?  Does it have its own internal HD?

Pretty sure GoPros have no internal memory. They just use those little SD memory cards that plug into most computers, or you can use a USB cable and leave the card in the camera.

1974dodgecharger

time for me to find one now...damn more money for the charger when does it end.

I think I spend roughly 15k this year on the charger and have nothing to show for it really  :brickwall:

myk

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on November 11, 2013, 02:45:59 AM

I think I spend roughly 15k this year on the charger and have nothing to show for it really  :brickwall:

What chu talkin 'bout Willis?  You have a big beautiful blue brute; that's plenty to show for. 

You're not alone though, man.  I just got back from a 2-month long involuntary vacation from the Charger and you know what?  It felt good not having to worry about spending more money on it for just a little while.  Sometimes it just gets to be too much...

74bluecharger440

so my understanding is that the gopro is the one to buy .. I think I'll wait for boxing day and see if they  go on sale.

J.Bond

Quote from: 74bluecharger440 on November 11, 2013, 06:52:45 AM
so my understanding is that the gopro is the one to buy .. I think I'll wait for boxing day and see if they  go on sale.

That would be your best bet, the camera alone is a couple hundred, then you will need some accessories, mounting kit, remote control,remote screen,etc. As side from Charger use, if you ride an Atv, snowmobile or hunt, or anything else that you do, that has either action or scenery, it is a must have. How many times I have returned home from a wicked snowmobile tour and tried to explain what I have just seen. Not any more, pull the card , and a couple of seconds later, your adding commentary!!!!!!!!

maxwellwedge

I am going to go with a high lift, roller dash cam.....I better check my lens to windshield clearance.... :lol:

J.Bond

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 11, 2013, 08:29:20 AM
I am going to go with a high lift, roller dash cam.....I better check my lens to windshield clearance.... :lol:

Ha!!!!! :lol:!!!!!!!

I have heard people have used Go Pro's to check suspension clearences on new builds; how many times, have you had to, have a friend try to find a rattle or noise, while driving down the road.Just saying, it might help keep the friend count up..........

Also, Big Sugar sent me a pic last week or so ago on my cell, titled Go Pro. What I saw was, a huge movie camera attached to his hood. First thought, Russion Go Pro, go figure!!!!!! I will get him to explain.

Dino

I saw a segment on GoPro's and its creator last night on 60 minutes.  I want one but didn't really have a need for it.  I do like the idea of a dash cam though so I will have to look into this a bit more.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Fred

I think I spend roughly 15k this year on the charger and have nothing to show for it really  :brickwall:

But if you plug it into your cigarette lighter it needn't be for just the charger. Use it in your daily driver as well.
In regards to not having anything to show for it.........I think myk summed it up.  :2thumbs:

Dino

It ends when the car goes bye bye or you do.   :icon_smile_big:

Look on the bright side, what else would you do with all that money?   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

oldcarnut

I got a go pro for Christmas last year and yet to use it.   One thing is that some dash cams record over previous recordings so you never have to worry about running out of memory.  I want one too but would prefer the smaller ones that transfer easy from car to car and attach right to the windshield small enough to go behind the mirror.  They have apps for cell phones too that do the same thing.

69hemidaytona

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 11, 2013, 08:29:20 AM
Use an oil with plenty of zinc too. :slap:

1974dodgecharger

seriously some of the folks walking into the road caused some of those accidents in russia they just casually walk right front of a fast moving vehicle? WTF!!!
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 11, 2013, 06:58:07 AM
This explains why they are needed in Russia....

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-russian-drivers-have-dash-cams-2012-12

Some good stuff here.....

http://www.youtube.com/embed/5RAaW_1FzYg?autoplay=1&modestbranding=1&rel=0&showinfo=0

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/83419573/

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/83656151/

A383Wing

I have seen some dash cams on ebay for under $50 with accessories included....while they may not be the top of the line, for what the OP was gonna do with it, it might be an option.

myk

Quote from: Dino on November 11, 2013, 04:34:54 PM

It ends when the car goes bye bye or you do.   :icon_smile_big:

Look on the bright side, what else would you do with all that money?   :lol:

I watched people blow that kind of cash in Vegas in minutes; there are far bigger "wastes" of money IMO, and at the end of the day you can at least drive your waste of money home, lol...

Troy

I have a couple of GoPro Hero cameras that I use for a bunch of stuff (skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking, softball, etc.). They are the same cameras you see mounted all over the place in most reality tv shows. They are HD and have no moving parts so they are fairly indestructible. I set mine to "one touch" so they start recording as soon as they come on - no adjusting the settings or hitting the shutter. I have 32 GB memory cards in them. A typical 1 hour video uses up about 6 GB so my cameras will record longer than the batteries will last. I also have spare batteries and a little video screen that I can attach to preview/review the video. Since I only use mine occasionally I just plug them in when I get home and download the videos to my computer (which charges the battery at the same time). They offer a lot of capability in a very small, stand-alone package.

I just stuck one in a car last week to try it out but the car was having technical issues and the video wasn't worth saving. If I were going to permanently attach one I'd go for something that is designed that way and has a remote hard drive. Normal web cams are much cheaper and have plenty of capability. A hard-wired setup should be much cheaper and have more functionality than something like a GoPro.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

oldcarnut

I bought a couple of these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/281199263344?redirect=mobile
Should be in next week.  Cheap but I'll post the results after testing.  They're copies of the Top Dawg brand I believe

Also another thread
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,102958.0.html

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: oldcarnut on December 01, 2013, 12:52:29 AM
I bought a couple of these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/281199263344?redirect=mobile
Should be in next week.  Cheap but I'll post the results after testing.  They're copies of the Top Dawg brand I believe

Also another thread
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,102958.0.html

20 bucks can't g wrong, report banck please after use age.  I'll be interested?..

b5blue

I have several small cameras and all record well with micro SD cards. Messing around with R/C helicopters was the intent along with dash cam or whatever. One aspect to keep in mind is the battery. They all die/wear out sooner or later so ether go cheap or get one you can replace the battery in.
  Mine are so tiny they have no view screen so you shoot blind and don't really know exactly whats in frame. This new generation of dedicated "Dash Cam" are remarkable, cheap, good resolution/frame rate for motion, motion detecting, continuous loop with G shock means they save the loop if an impact is detected and it looks like they all record sound also.
  I just wanted to share some details I've learned to look at in deciding what to buy.  :2thumbs:

74bluecharger440

Bought the contour roam during black Friday deals. Seems to work well  the micro SD card it comes with is way too little only 4GB . So I ordered a 32GB card . Half price at Staples. I've tried it in the  Ram in daytime and nighttime, great clarity. The battery will run out in approximately 1 and a half hours so I have the charger plugged into a port. (more wires) Now I have about 8.5 hours of continuous record time. When I'm done I can erase and start all over again if there is nothing to keep on the video..Kinda cool to see your own neighbourhood on your computer.  Especially the nighttime with all the Christmas lights.

johnnycharger

Question. ... if you are pulled over for a traffic violation can the officer use your dash cam as evidence?

4cruzin

Quote from: johnnycharger on December 01, 2013, 10:32:13 AM
Question. ... if you are pulled over for a traffic violation can the officer use your dash cam as evidence?

Probably . . . I know if you are in an accident, the first thing they want is your phone these days to see if you were texting when the crash occurred . . . .
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

oldcarnut

On the other hand it may work in your favor to prove if you got a ticket for something you didn't do. 

b5blue

Quote from: 4cruzin on December 01, 2013, 12:40:57 PM
Quote from: johnnycharger on December 01, 2013, 10:32:13 AM

Probably . . . I know if you are in an accident, the first thing they want is your phone these days to see if you were texting when the crash occurred . . . .
Funny they can drive around with their laptop on and running next to them AND talking the whole time........ :lol:

Ghoste

While speeding and apparently through all of that, watch everything around them and be able to make observations that if challenged in court will not be considered as anything but irrefutable fact.
Sorry law enforcement members, I have nothing but huge respect for you and the job you do but it does piss me off that you can have so much going on and yet your version of an event will be taken as though Christ himself stepped into the courtroom and added a handwritten Gospel to the proceedings.

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

c00nhunterjoe

Ghoste

JB400

oldcarnut

Ok here is a couple videos from the cheapo ebay cam.  Same place but night and day.  Video is fair enough to get by on for the money.  I left it plugged in and running.  Audio is rough so turn the volume down some. Haven't figured out what the clicking noise is from yet.  I wouldn't use it to record a nice driving video but for everyday traffic ok for me. The box it came in has no country origin, part number, or bar codes.  Time stamp didn't hold consistent after setting and I'm not positive some of the other menu options actually work but for $20 shipped with mounts it aint bad.  The power cord is pretty long.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TahDQmKq2DM&list=HL1386917826
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnZnFYEppjs

Tilar

Thats some good old music you got going on in that first video.  :2thumbs:
Dave  

Lighthorseman

On topic, but slightly off topic as well, I'd like to throw out a question.

How about a remote camera and separate viewscreen?  As mentioned, when I get my Superbird clone put together, I want a permanently attached camera right in the front of the nose somewhere, so I can glance at a small screen - much like a rear-view camera - so I don't crack the pointy nose on anything.  

At the moment, I'm thinking a simple back up camera that has the screen in the mirror.  I've seen one locally that has a separate rear-view mirror that incorporates the screen.  When the car is put in reverse, the screen powers up and shows the camera view.  I'm thinking that all I would have to do is jerry-rig a switch to turn it on and off, and presto - "nose-cam".  As cool as this is, I'd still like to be able to record while I'm driving about, but perhaps I'm going to need some other system.  That GoPro idea sure seems cool.  

Any other ideas?

Tilar

I was just looking on ebay and they have rear view mirrors that have a GPS built into the mirror and it shares the screen with a backup camera that changes when the camera is switched on. No idea how good it works but it is a cool idea.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rydeen-10-5-Rearview-Mirror-w-Navigation-Bluetooth-Inc-Backup-Camera-/290872585849?pt=US_Rear_View_Monitors_Cams_Kits&hash=item43b95b6e79
Dave  

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: oldcarnut on December 13, 2013, 01:28:00 AM
Ok here is a couple videos from the cheapo ebay cam.  Same place but night and day.  Video is fair enough to get by on for the money.  I left it plugged in and running.  Audio is rough so turn the volume down some. Haven't figured out what the clicking noise is from yet.  I wouldn't use it to record a nice driving video but for everyday traffic ok for me. The box it came in has no country origin, part number, or bar codes.  Time stamp didn't hold consistent after setting and I'm not positive some of the other menu options actually work but for $20 shipped with mounts it aint bad.  The power cord is pretty long.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TahDQmKq2DM&list=HL1386917826
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnZnFYEppjs

the night was horrible couldnt see much, but the day driving quality was not bad.  It seems like a 480p video vs goheros are 1080p recording?