News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone run this Hemi cam: COMP Cams 278H-8?

Started by hemi68charger, November 07, 2013, 05:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Anyone run this Hemi cam: COMP Cams 278H-8?

I was just interested in the experiences with someone who may actually be running this very cam or something like it. I am looking for this camshaft to be in a street car, with headers, OEM-style dual-fours, auto with power brakes...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

cdr

Gonna need a little looser converter than a stock one.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Budnicks

Sorry I'm not trying to be overly anal retentive...LOL... But I think there's probably better hydraulic lifter cams out there for a dual 4bbl set up {twin 525's Carter AFB's, I assume} with power steering & power brake or other vacuum accessories ect. IMHFO anyway :shruggy: , especially on a mostly all street driven car {how will it be used/what do you expect out of it ??} maybe more lobe separation like in the range of 110*-114* {instead of 108*}, the Hemi can handle it thou, the lift doesn't really hurt you, if you have the proper clearances everywhere, it's the lobe separation & longer duration... I know you said you have headers, what size tubes & what length & what size/style collectors ?? just for the sake of saying it for others to know, Usually they will need more exhaust lift {than intake lift, but depends on cam timing too} to exhaust scavenge better, especially if you don't have headers or are using stock cast iron manifolds even the 68-70 HP's on a wedge, a Hemi cast iron manifolds will flow much better than the wedge units will... Sorry I really hate giving cam recommendations, I like to leave it to the camshaft experts, it's always way too subjective, especially with out knowing, Camshaft 101; what it's going in ??, is it truly a stock engine less camshaft ??, what RPM range are you looking for ??, what gear ratios ??, what head mods/what style head casting, porting, larger valves etc. ??, what valve sizes ??, what springs & installed heights ??, is it a full cam, spring, retainers, locks, seals, in a full cam kit ??, what thickness of head gaskets ??, what rocker ratios, stock or aftermarket etc. ??, what compression, what dome height, dish, valve reliefs, etc. ??, how many cubes ??, what bore size ??, what fuel will be used ??, what ignition, wires, plugs & coil ??, what kind of car & especially how it's going to be used/intended usage ??, what weight is the car ??, what converter ?? {if it's an automatic} etc., what other modification have been done ??...  For the most part, any brand cam, that's basically less than 0.520" gross valve lift {cam lift x rocker ratio} will fit in a stock configuration "USUALLY", just won't make the best power/bang for the buck, true trouble free drivability, with out the proper tuning & other proper parts combos...  :Twocents: Good luck
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

oldschool

1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

69dodge383

I think it would work fine for the street. The 108 lsa will chop up the idle some and the duration is not to high so you should have good low end compression and could get away with a mild or stock HP converter. I would give it a shot, if you dont like it you can always swap it for another cam :yesnod:

i will say though if you have a dual quad HEMI at your disposal. I would go balls to the wall! You can always build a mild big block for your street car. Why build a mild HEMI?  :shruggy:
The way I bought it
1969 Dodge Charger SE
383 Magnum
3.23 open 8 3/4 - 489
PS/MB

The way it is
1969 Dodge Charger "The Duke"
440HP '72
10.5:1 Mopar Pistons @.030 (446 c.i.)
Edelbrock Performer Heads
Hughes Solid Lifter Cam 278/283 245/250 .597. 613 108
7Qt Oil Pan