News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Blower startup!

Started by Charger4404spd, September 08, 2014, 06:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger4404spd

Everything went ok, except I have a rear main seal leaking :brickwall: Gonna be a PITA with the girdle on.

http://vid7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/charger4404spd/VID_20140905_143630_976_zps97eb4b3b.mp4

tan top

:coolgleamA: :2thumbs: awesome stuff  :drool5:

Damn rear main seal ,  :brickwall:

what type did you use ?   
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

SovereignZuul

Looks and sounds amazing!  :icon_smile_cool:
1970 Dodge Charger - 1969 Dodge Dart - 2008 Dodge Caliber SRT4 - 1997 Dodge Neon (Sold for Charger Parts)

challenger70

'68 383 A833 QQ1 Charger
'70  440 727 FY1 Challenger

moparnation74

Man!  That is BADAZZ!! Love it. :notworthy:

Ohh, the dreaded rear main seal! Sorry, to hear that, what a pain.  I had the same issues with them and I finally went with the billet main cap from Mancini with the O ring seals.  No issues since.

Charger4404spd

Quote from: tan top on September 08, 2014, 07:11:54 PM
  :coolgleamA: :2thumbs: awesome stuff  :drool5:

Damn rear main seal ,  :brickwall:

what type did you use ?   

The kit from Mancini.

Maybe have to try the Viton seal. Anyone used that seal?

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

moparnation74

Did you offset the seal when you installed it? 1/16" Offset down on one side so other side sits up 1/16 on the main cap, same for the top seal to mate.  That way you know that they mate completely.  Another mistake is using too much sealent on the side seals and the main seal ends.  Even the O ring seals I used a small amount on them.  I also used that special loctite #518 red sealer on the main seal ends.  Once installed I let it sit for 48hrs before starting.  Here is a great link from Hugheshttp://www.hughesengines.com/Upload/productInstructions/Rear_Main_Seal_Installation_InstructionsJune2006.pdf

Charger4404spd

Yes I did offset the seal ends 1/4". Maybe too much?

lasvegas69charg

69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

moparnation74

Quote from: Charger4404spd on September 08, 2014, 08:32:01 PM
Yes I did offset the seal ends 1/4". Maybe too much?
Possible, they may have squirmed.  Hughes carries the viton seals.
I forgot to ask earlier did the motor sit for awhile assembled without being turned?  On a fresh build that can cause possible leaky main seal.

Charger4404spd

Yeah it was on the engine stand for 2 or 3 months.

ottawamerc

Very nice monster you have built :icon_smile_big: I especially like the way it makes the ground shake while your videoing  :smilielol:  Good luck with your leaks I have similar leaks on mine too but I figure its good for keeping the dust down in the shop.

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

moparnation74

Quote from: Charger4404spd on September 09, 2014, 06:15:26 AM
Yeah it was on the engine stand for 2 or 3 months.
That could have been the culprit.  I had the same thin happen to me.  Since then, I run m rides at least once per week and if it is a motor on a stand I turn it the same.
The rear mains on Mopar's are notoriously an ongoing PITA.
Is your leak a drop or so or more than.  To mean if it is a drop or so it is not worth all of the work replacing that.  Also, give it a little time to see if it changes, if it is a little bit.  I would not use additives to correct it.

firefighter3931

Nice work Steve...she idles clean ; nice and strong  :2thumbs:

How much oil is it leaking at the rear main ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

twodko

Def what ottawamerc said. That's gorgeous and nasty at the same time.
I love to ride/drive a mobster like that. Well done man!
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Charger_Dart

That looks great, nice work!  :2thumbs:

68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

Charger4404spd

Quote from: firefighter3931 on September 09, 2014, 09:33:31 AM

Ron

Ron, at first it was a pretty fast drip. I noticed Saturday after I drove it down the road and back (2 miles) and came back and parked it, the drip had slowed. Wonder if maybe the rings havent seated good yet letting some blowby through?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Charger4404spd on September 09, 2014, 02:22:23 PM

Ron

Ron, at first it was a pretty fast drip. I noticed Saturday after I drove it down the road and back (2 miles) and came back and parked it, the drip had slowed. Wonder if maybe the rings havent seated good yet letting some blowby through?

Yep, that's certainly possible. Give it a bit more time to break-in and hopefully the leak will settle down  ;)

Engine braking is a good way to seat the rings....get her up to 4000-4500 rpm and let off the throttle several times. Don't overdo it and bring the rpms up slowly....allways worked well for me.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Charger4404spd

Quote from: firefighter3931 on September 09, 2014, 08:09:26 PM
Quote from: Charger4404spd on September 09, 2014, 02:22:23 PM

Ron

Yep, that's certainly possible. Give it a bit more time to break-in and hopefully the leak will settle down  ;)

Engine braking is a good way to seat the rings....get her up to 4000-4500 rpm and let off the throttle several times. Don't overdo it and bring the rpms up slowly....allways worked well for me.  :yesnod:

Ron

Will do!
We (this includes you, lol)also need to redo the timing. Shes locked out now and does not wont to turn over at startup. I have a MSD Start Retard I can install or I will need to unlock the dizzy and play around with the advance springs.