News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help?... How is this supposed to look?

Started by 72Charger-SE, November 06, 2013, 07:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

72Charger-SE

I am doing some rust repair on my car and am a bit stumped on this area.  Can someone please provide a few pics of how this is supposed to look?  This is a 72 Charger SE.   

Thanks in advance,
Chad

ACUDANUT

Looks like it's time for new inner fenders.

72Charger-SE

Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 06, 2013, 08:02:48 PM
Looks like it's time for new inner fenders.

I am hoping I can just reweld that portion with new sheet metal.  The rest of the inner fenders look good....   with the exception of a couple areas on the drivers side and the top mount strip on the passenger side of the car.  I plan to patch those areas as well with new sheet metal.

Dino

I don't know what that bolt on plate is but that part seems to be in good shape so bend the 4 tabs and remove the bolt so the plate comes off.  Get a thick piece of paper and lay it over the area.  Find your 'landmarks' such as the edge of the frame and the oval hole.  The whole idea for the template is to get that hole exactly the same in case the next step doesn't work out.

Cut out the rot and go far enough so you have nice, solid steel to weld on.  Lay the removed piece on a new piece of metal and trace it.  You should now have the exact same shape as the old piece which should fit in the fender quite nicely.  Either use the old piece of metal or the template to get the hole in the correct place.  Prime, paint and bolt the plate back in place, bend the tabs and you're done.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

sgt72charger

That bolt is for the hood hinge
mine looked exactly the same.

your out of your mind if you replace your whole inner fender for that

i just cut out the rust and welded in a new piece.
the plate nut on the back side is the only thing you need to keep so just cut it out weld then drill a slot in the new metal for the hood hinge then reinstall the plate nut.

you'll notice on the fender side the plate nut is crimped in with metal tabs that's so it does not move when torquing the bolt for the hood hinge. you do not have to re-crimp it if you just tack weld it to the inner fender or hold in place while you tighten.

Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

ACUDANUT

I have tried to patch that area before many times on different chargers, it has a lot of stress from the hood and hinges...Your repair job will be hard to hide.  Mine looked bad, so I ripped both sides off and got new inner fenders.

72Charger-SE

Well, I tried on the passenger side...   The biggest problem is trying to grind down the welds on the outside.  There is simply no room to maneuver a grinder.  Here are a few pics of the results...  I hope I didn't 'ruin' or 'do terrible'...  ??  What do you think?

sgt72charger

looks good to me assuming you reweld and grind back down smooth.
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|