News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

enough juice

Started by Matthan, November 06, 2013, 03:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthan

I have a 1969 Dodge Charger with a 383 in it. When I go to start the car it sounds like it is not getting enough juice to start up. Sometimes in Fires right up other time it does not. I have installed a new battery and a new starter. I believe my alternator is good as well. Could it be the voltage regulator?

Ghoste

What are the plugs gapped at, are they fresh, how is the coil, plug wires all good, what about the wiring?  Many factors to consider.

Matthan

Brand New Coil, Plugs are about 1 year old

myk

Take the car to a parts store that will check your starting/charging system for free.  A new battery and/or starter is not a guarantee of a properly working starting and charging system.  Personally, I would look into your wiring; you can have the most trick parts in the world but that electricity isn't going anywhere if your wiring and cables are shot...

Matthan

Ghoste

Does the engine turn over at the same rate each time and you are meaning that sometimes it fires up immediately but the next time seems to take too long?

Matthan

Sometimes if fires right up and other times in sounds like the battery is dead and barley turns. Then it will fire up.

Cooter

Bad connection draining voltage to starter. Look for sh*t battery (just cause you saved $10.00 on that Wally World battery, doesn't mean its a good battery). Usually though, its the cable ends at the terminals. ESPECIALLY if you are smart and REMOVE one during storage...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Matthan

I will look at the cables...my battery is the Gold one from Advance Auto Parts..so i know it is not that.

Matthan

Ok the battery is fully charged and when I turn over the motor I just hear the starter clicking.

Nacho-RT74

seems to be starter motor bushings
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

el dub

When ever I have heard clicking it was a dead battery or voltage regulator or alternator not charging battery causing dead battery. But I'm no expert.Follow Myk's advice.
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Hard Charger

Quote from: Matthan on November 06, 2013, 03:35:40 PM
I have a 1969 Dodge Charger with a 383 in it. When I go to start the car it sounds like it is not getting enough juice to start up. Sometimes in Fires right up other time it does not. I have installed a new battery and a new starter. I believe my alternator is good as well. Could it be the voltage regulator?
I had the same issue, 68 with a 383. if I did not start it just right it would wind for a while before firing. i was pretty embarrassed when this happened.

all my parts were good and when it fires it ran great.

I decided to go with a new distributor, figured that must be the week link. I receive my new fire core ignition tomorrow.

Matthan

Could be my voltage regulator?

Back N Black

Quote from: Hard Charger on November 07, 2013, 07:12:10 PM
Quote from: Matthan on November 06, 2013, 03:35:40 PM
I had the same issue, 68 with a 383. if I did not start it just right it would wind for a while before firing. i was pretty embarrassed when this happened.

all my parts were good and when it fires it ran great.

I decided to go with a new distributor, figured that must be the week link. I receive my new fire core ignition tomorrow.
Carburetor-ed engines can be sensitive, each car has its own quirks WRT starting, Its trial and error. It took me awhile to figure out how many pumps of the accelerator cold and how many pumps when engine is at operating temp.

Matthan

This problem has nothing to with the carb....it electrical for sure.

Pete in NH

How old is the battery? Also, make sure the battrey connections are clean and tight. I would put a battery charger on the battrey to make sure it is charged. You could have a charging system issue and the battery is going dead from not being recharged. Past that it could be a starter on the way out with a dead spot on the commutator or worn brushes. You said it is a new starter but, many rebuilds today aren't very good quality.

Matthan

I am thinking it is the starter

Ghoste

Does the starter ever make grinding noises?

Matthan

no, it just moves really slow and acts like it it not getting enough power to start. My battery is new and my cables are in good shape. So I was thinking it may be the starter

Ghoste

That would be my best guess so far.

68 RT

Is the car hot or cold? Do you have trouble all the time starting it temp wise?

Matthan

most of the time it is hard to start when it is hot, but it also started to do it when it is cold too.

Ghoste

Is there a good auto electric shop nearby that could test the starter for you?

Matthan

Ghoste

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

el dub

I didn't know you could charger up a battery with a dead cell. Learn something new every day.
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: el dub on November 10, 2013, 11:46:51 PM
I didn't know you could charger up a battery with a dead cell. Learn something new every day.

doesnt die quicker though if you do?  I had a bad cell and that thing would charge, but last only a day and have to charge again, again, etc..

Matthan

that was what happened to mine...my charger fires right up with just i touch of the key

Ghoste

Glad it turned out to be a relatively easy fix.  A dead cell can be a hard one to chase sometimes when the battery is newer and less suspect than it should be.  I guess the moral would be to assume nothing, suspect everything and begin with the easiest part.