News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anybody running 12 in. wide tread on the back

Started by Highbanked Hauler, November 21, 2013, 11:57:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Of your Charger ? I got 275-60S on the back now with a 5.0 back space rim and wondering if I could squeeze a 12 in. wide slick in the same space.. thanks.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Dino

2nd gen?

That tire is the rough equivalent of a 305.  That's a big tire!  My guess is that it'll fit on a 10" rim with 5.5 - 6" bs.  But I wouldn't put anyone in the back seat...
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

GPULLER

I'm running a 295 on 10" wheel on the rear of my 1st gen.  I would say its possible on a 2nd gen, those have huge wheel wells. 

Lord Warlock

I've got 315 40 zr 17's on 11 inch rims with a 5.5 bs.  And they fit fine.   They are more than 12 inches wide.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Lord Warlock on November 22, 2013, 06:50:07 PM
I've got 315 40 zr 17's on 11 inch rims with a 5.5 bs.  And they fit fine.   They are more than 12 inches wide.

You don't get tire rub anywhere ? I had 275-60S on a 4 in. BS and the edge of the quarter wheelhouse was cutting the sidewall from time to time.  I put the tire on a 5.0 in. BS and it clears  by about an in. on both sides.  So I figured a 27.5X 12-15 would be seriously close to the outer  quarter lip and the inside of the wheelhouse. :shruggy:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Lord Warlock

The wheels have about an inch of clearance on the inner wheel to the leaf spring, does not appear to hit the inner fenderwell at all, if the tire was a higher profile tire it would come close to the outer fender lip, but it depends on if the tire turned in toward the tread a little, the 40 series means the tires don't reach the top of the wheelwell so it isn't a concern.  The previous wheels and tires did occasionally rub the inner fender wall, they were L50-15's but were crammed on a rim much too small for them so the sidewalls bulged a bit.  If i were to do it over, i'd get 10 inch wide rims, the 315 40s would fit on that wheels as well, lots of cobra owners install them on 9 inch rims.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.