News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stopping a power steering box leak?

Started by cudaken, November 01, 2013, 05:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudaken

OK, not I am not a big believer pour this stuff in fix all repairs. But worth looking at I guess.

Power steering gear box in my 68 Road Runner was leaking badly when I parked her 8 years ago. I pulled the pump before I got her running again this year. While I can driver her, steering by Arm Strong sucks.

The 727 started leaking pretty badly as well, so I did try the Lucas Trans stop leak and shift improver additive and it seems to have stopped the leak in just 3 miles?  :lol:

So has anyone hear had luck with magic goo from a bottle to stop leaks at the gear box?  :scratchchin:

Cuda Ken   
I am back

XH29N0G

I just tried it, and am still debating whether to pull apart the pump.  My leak is at the pulley shaft. 

The Lucas stuff slowed down the leak considerably (no leak when cold), but there is a small leak when I turn the car off.  I put in 3 small bottles with some change each time.  I had three bottles to start so I decided to stop after that and pull it apart.  Right now, it does not drop noticeably from the reservoir, but I sell see a small leak.  It also may be that it would leak more if it were warmer.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

ws23rt

I would try the same stuff you used in the trans.  Not much to lose and a lot to gain :shruggy:
If it's leaking at the valve body on top there are three o rings under the valve body. Replacing those fixed a leak I had.

Sublime/Sixpack

FWIW The P.S. gear box in the '68 Coronet I purchased last February had a significant leak, I siphoned what fluid I could from the pump then added a bottle of NO LEAK Power Steering Treatment (put out by Gold Eagle Co.)
It's supposed to stop the leak within 200 miles. It eventually stopped the leak in my box, but took 2000 miles and five months.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

NHCharger

When I bought my 71 Charger the steering box leaked. I added some tranny fluid. My mechanic said the tranny fluid causes the seals to swell slightly which would stop the leak. Lasted another 10k miles.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

oldcarnut

cudaken

Old Car Nut, not sure what is leaking, but it is on the pressure side, that I am positive of. Blows fluid all over the places! Undercoats her self when being driven!  :D

WS 23 RT, is there a kit you bought or did you just match up the O rings? I have a extra box from a 68 Charger that I can pull the valve body from to match up the O rings.

I am open to other ideas and thank you all for the answers!

Cuda Ken
I am back

ws23rt

Quote from: cudaken on November 02, 2013, 08:36:54 AM

Old Car Nut, not sure what is leaking, but it is on the pressure side, that I am positive of. Blows fluid all over the places! Undercoats her self when being driven!  :D

WS 23 RT, is there a kit you bought or did you just match up the O rings? I have a extra box from a 68 Charger that I can pull the valve body from to match up the O rings.

I am open to other ideas and thank you all for the answers!

Cuda Ken

I had to match them up.  Went to Baxter auto parts and they ordered them. (next day)

oldcarnut

Search for the topic "power steering box leak".     There me and a couple others show some diagrams and I did my box rebuild.   I got all my orings in a kit from advance auto.   Maybe something there you see will help out.    I don't know how to post the link from my phone sorry