News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

100 Hp Mini buggy is getting closer to the finish line................

Started by skip68, November 02, 2013, 10:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip68

Been awhile but starting to work on the death trap again. 
Got the wires extended for the ignition and gauges, mounted the gauges and have the radiator zipped tied in place for making and welding brackets for it.   
Getting closer.   

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

472 R/T SE

Nice job Skipster. 

When I was back home there were a few of us that would get together & go to the Little Sahara Sand Dunes.  After the 1st trip & a run through the sand drags my buddy with lots of $$ was hooked.
He bought one of those CBR1000 you talked about.  He ordered it brand new & pulled the drivetrain for a home made 3 wheeler.  I never seen it, just the bare frame of the CBR.

472 R/T SE

Here's a buddy's 3 wheel monstrosity.  He had the record down in California & Glamis Dunes going UP Competition Hill for the longest time.  It run on alcohol plus the turbo.  Then they had another one that had NOS plus the turbo.
It was crazy, when he got on it the rear tires would get skinny like the Top Fuel rides.

skip68

Thank you sir.  Man that 4 wheeler looks like a scary ride.  To much for me. 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

skip68

Well, it's been a long time since I started this and lots of things going on and the buggy was set aside for awhile.  Finally cleaned out my garage and have been working on this thing so it can run and it does.  
This little thing is fast as hell.   Too much for the size.   It's basically a first and second gear only toy.  At about 55 MPH it's kinda sketchy because the front end isn't made for speed.   Shakes a little bit.  It does right around 50mph in first gear at 13,000rpm.  The power comes on at about 8,000rpm to 12,500rpm and it's a tire spinner.   I've been having a blast driving this thing and it's quicker than any car I've ever driven.  

I'm going to teach my son how to drive this this weekend hopefully.   I've already told him that you can't hold the throttle wide open for more than a few seconds because it can get outta control in the blink of an eye.   I've almost lost it twice and I'm used to speed and sliding.   :rotz:

Anyway, I'll see if I can get Lisa to take some pictures tomorrow.    :2thumbs:

Steve P.

Quote from: mrsskip68 on November 04, 2013, 08:24:13 PM
Must be super safe, before i let my first born drive it!

In that case your son will N E V E R drive it..   :rotz:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

67440chrg

A383Wing

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

skip68

:brickwall:  I know Steve.   But I win trophies on video games so I must be awesome right?     :nana:  
I'm going to see what's up with the front end tonight.   Hopefully it's just bearings.    :shruggy:  
Then I'm going to regulate the throttle to 4,500rpm or so with a special chip that I control.   That way my son can't get outta control and end up dead.   :2thumbs:

ws23rt

You could do what dodge did with the hellcat.---A red key so you could kill yourself and a black key for your son so he may live to reproduce. :icon_smile_wink:

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Ryan.C

There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

skip68

I'm putting a metal chip/plate on the throttle stop at the gas pedal with a pin.    :2thumbs:   I lost control yesterday and went through my neighbors yard.     :rofl: 
No damage other than my pride.   I was warned and have seen many videos on YouTube what a go kart can do with sport bike motors and am now knowing this is not a toy for an inexperienced teenager.   

skip68

These are the cutest little disc brakes I've seen.   :rofl:  
The front bearings and bushings were loose so no big deal there.  It's still nothing that I'd feel comfortable driving over 100MPH in.   Not even 60mph except for short blasts.   I also went through the carbs so it runs perfect.   Still have some shifting linkage issues to work out.  

ws23rt

What this reminds me of are dune buggy kinda things from the 70s.  An old memory was that 450 Honda engines worked out rather well but 750 Hondas were too much engine for the size and type of--of vehicle? :lol:  My thought at the time was the control of such a thing is in the hands of the operator.
The center of gravity and balance are issues that either add to, or take away from the fun of pushing the engines to do what they do. :cheers:

skip68

Well, I know it goes 70mph now.   :rofl:   
Still major front end shaking.  I've played with alignment but doesn't seem to help.   The right front shock seems to be bad and I'm thinking that's the major cause.   It's as if I'm getting wheel hop with the front wheels.   Either way, it's not designed for high speeds anyway so I shouldn't be pushing it.    :lol:   
Man, talk about a cheap thrill.   

ws23rt

I know what cheep thrill is all about. :icon_smile_wink:  I have a 73 Kawasaki Z1.  It had a high speed wobble that was felt out of the blue at high speed and could shake out false teeth if one had them. To recover from that was a challenge in logical (non panic) fast thinking. :eek2:

skip68

You got that right.  Head shake at high speed is a scary feeling.   That was a big bike for 1973.  Here's the specs on this crazy buggy engine.   

ws23rt

I'm all over it :2thumbs:---Bigger and more is good but never enough :D   My 472ci hemi motorcycle speaks to that. Beyond useable power but fun to play with. :cheers:

skip68

skip68

Just doing some math and this motor puts out 2.7 hp per cubic inch.   :2thumbs:   that's like having a 440 with 1200+ hp.    :drool5:  
Shifter and clutch are relocated and working great. 

JB400

ws23rt

You might think about getting a Michelin tire guy suit that fits in that roll cage. :icon_smile_wink: :cheers:

skip68

It's right around 425-450 lbs.   :scratchchin:  so that's 4.5 hp per pound.    :scratchchin:  sounds high but I guess that's right.