News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

winter starts

Started by tucknroll, November 02, 2013, 03:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tucknroll

anyone have any good ideas to help with winter cranking. the car cranks fine but I would like to make it a little easier on it for really cold mornings coming up. I read that some people use an electric blanket under the hood. any thoughts?

A383Wing

block heater would be my first choice....problem with the blanket is that it will not get the engine very warm, heat rises, the block will still be cold...and those electric blankets are not made for outside use...indoors only, no moisture

Dmichels

I think they use to have a dipstick heater to keep the oil warm
68 440 4 speed 4.10

NHCharger

Heated garage usually does the trick ;)
I think a block heater is your cheapest and most reliable way to go.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

hawkeye

They also make a heater that is a magnet .  You just put it on the oil pan.  Synthetic oil also helps.  http://www.amazon.com/Kats-1160-300-Watt-Handi-Heat-Magnetic/dp/B000I8YOR4/ref=pd_sim_auto_1

flyinlow

Drop light next to the intake manifold helps. Use an Al Gore approved 100 watt bulb.  Won't crank faster but a warm intake helps vaporize the fuel and will start easier.

Dmichels

Quote from: flyinlow on November 08, 2013, 02:29:11 PM
Drop light next to the intake manifold helps. Use an Al Gore approved 100 watt bulb.  Won't crank faster but a warm intake helps vaporize the fuel and will start easier.
You have a 100 watt light bulb where do I get one of those??
68 440 4 speed 4.10