News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do I remove this?

Started by denver98, October 28, 2013, 09:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

denver98

I need to remove this plug.  I don't have a breaker bar that size.  I tried my socket wrench with an extension and a bar on the handle to increase the leverage....nothing! I didn't want to break wrench, I plan on getting a breaker bar but I though I'd ask if anyone knows a good "trick" on how to remove a plug that hasn't moved in 40+ years.

ws23rt

Those are tough ones. The best bet to get it to move would be to heat it up to almost red color (just the plug) and let it cool back to room temp.
Now let penetrating oil soak in and give it a go.  If that wont do it it's time to drill it out and clean the threads with a tap :Twocents:

A383Wing

yea...heat it up....a longer bar might work better

fy469rtse

as the guys have said heat it up ,red hot, give it tap to jar it, wait for it to cool down , and then when it still does not come out , drill and keep up sizing drills until it breaks loose ,
sorry mate good luck hope it comes out easy, every time I have done this ends up in frustration, the hard way

WHITE AND RED 69

Oh that plug is a bitch! I couldn't get any heat to mine without burning up the heater hose. So I had to take it off and drill it out. If you are trying to remove it on the car use a lot of penetrating oil and a big breaker bar.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Dino

Get map gas, yellow canister, not the blue one, and heat the plug.  Ideally an extra pair of hands moves the plug back and forth until the seal breaks but you can do it in sequence as well.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

68 RT

I used an impact on mine with lots of wd40.

twodko

PB Blaster is the stuff to use.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

hawkeye

My father in law ran a machine shop for years and claimed that you could break things loose easier by screwing them in tighter and then backing them out.  Heat, penetrating oil, and patients are your best bet.

mopar0166

ws23rt

Quote from: hawkeye on October 29, 2013, 11:47:35 AM
My father in law ran a machine shop for years and claimed that you could break things loose easier by screwing them in tighter and then backing them out.  Heat, penetrating oil, and patients are your best bet.

That would work ok for straight threads. This is a pipe thread plug (tapered threads) and is already under compression.
Heating till red will relieve the compression stress and cooling will contract the plug. 

john108

You could try a small can of compressed gas, sprayed on the plug.  As it sprays, the gas expands and gets cold, and may let the plug contract enough that an impact wrench can break it loose. 

RIDGERACER383

The best lube to use is "Croil" it's a micro Lube and has worked great for me on tough stuff.Spray the hell out of it and let it sit over night.Put your breaker bar on it and it the handle really hard with a big hammer.It should break it loose.
1968 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl / 8.75 Rear 3.55

ws23rt

Quote from: RIDGERACER383 on October 30, 2013, 08:37:02 PM
The best lube to use is "Croil" it's a micro Lube and has worked great for me on tough stuff.Spray the hell out of it and let it sit over night.Put your breaker bar on it and it the handle really hard with a big hammer.It should break it loose.

I agree. It is one of the best penetrating oils out there. It will soak into rust and corrosion where most others won't (wd40 for example)

Dino

Quote from: ws23rt on October 30, 2013, 08:48:21 PM

I agree. It is one of the best penetrating oils out there. It will soak into rust and corrosion where most others won't (wd40 for example)

Better than PB blaster?  I'm using that right now which seems to work pretty well but the smell is unbearable.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

fy469rtse

Did you notice ? Not one of us asked why? He was trying to get plug out,
Just for the practice lol, or spot for after market temp gauge sender location

ws23rt

Quote from: Dino on October 31, 2013, 05:57:55 AM

Better than PB blaster?  I'm using that right now which seems to work pretty well but the smell is unbearable.

I can't say for sure which is better.  I guess when you have been using something for years and have had great success it is easy to be biased.
Aerokroil has been a top choice in industrial plant maintenance world for years. (has a pleasant smell) ;)
PB Blaster is newer to me and have used it some. The name is aggressive as is the smell but I don't think it's better :Twocents:

A383Wing

Quote from: Dino on October 31, 2013, 05:57:55 AM

Better than PB blaster?  I'm using that right now which seems to work pretty well but the smell is unbearable.

:iagree:

fy469rtse

So Denver , ? How did you go , did it come out or was it a stubborn bastard like I have had

denver98

Quote from: fy469rtse on October 31, 2013, 06:19:27 AM
Did you notice ? Not one of us asked why? He was trying to get plug out,
Just for the practice lol, or spot for after market temp gauge sender location

Haha...its for the temp sender for the new EFI I'm installing.  Haven't gotten to it yet.  It's this weekend's project.  Thanks for all the advise. 

-Scott