News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 Superbird exhaust gaskets

Started by boss429kiwi, January 04, 2014, 05:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boss429kiwi

Hi

I have a small exhaust leak in my LH side exhaust gaskets.
I am using the car in a wedding this coming weekend, and want to fix this leak, but also I do not want to get caught out with any timing repair issues.

Is this job straight forward?
The bolts look like they are all accessible enough.
It looks simple enough, but have been caught out with "simple" jobs before, like lifting the engine to change the spark plugs on my 428cj Mustang!

Do I need special gaskets for a 440HP, 6 pack? Or are they all the same?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers
Gary
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

hemi68charger

Gary,
You mean the passenger or driver side? If it is the driver's side, you will have to remove the engine mount screw on that side and slightly jack up the motor to make it pivot so you can get a socket on it. The rest are straight forward. The passenger side is fairly straight forward as well, just a lot of arm bending to get to the nuts. I am assuming it is the manifold to head gasket you're referring to?

Also, I prep the new gasket by making vertical slots so the gasket can be slid on from the top. This way, you don't have to totally remove the exhaust manifold or separate it from the head pipe. I sometimes remove the spark plugs so I have more room to move the ratchet or wrench.

The exhaust manifold gaskets are all the same, nothing special about a 6bbl versus 4bbl.... Just make sure the gaskets are positioned properly. There's a metal side and a fiber side......

I also trim my gaskets so there are three sections. I hate looking down at a big block motor and seeing the part of the gaskets between the ports... I just trim a curved part out to separate one side into three portions.... Make sense?

Nothing real daunting.......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

A383Wing

gaskets between manifold & head were not there from factory....biggest fear in replacing these is breaking a stud off in the head when removing the special long nuts in there....also, if studs to come out of head or break off, they screw into water ports

boss429kiwi

Hi

Thanks for that.

Yes, it is the drivers side!
Love the idea of cutting the slots, so the gasket can be slid into place!

Cheers
Gary
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

Sublime/Sixpack

I've never used gaskets between the head and exhaust manifold on Mopar big blocks, nor have I ever had a leak there (except once when a couple of the nuts loosened at the end of the manifold).    Are you sure it's not the flange gasket that's leaking?
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak