News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Questions about my VIN tag.

Started by Syreal_70, October 29, 2013, 01:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

ws23rt

I like this stuff. :2thumbs:  It adds to the fun and adventure.

After I got home with my J code 69 coronet (in 1980) I noticed the calif. title had a V where the J should be in the vin. Since I was about to register the car to me it needed to match the car.  
What are the odds that the eng. code was a typo. Not to mention that it got past me at the time of sale.

A witness and document by a local sheriff did the trick to fix the typo.

ECS

Quote from: Ghoste on July 11, 2014, 05:30:16 PM
Typos happen.

Typos certainly happen but someone intentionally tried to age the reproduction VIN Decal and pass it off as being original.  That was calculated and intentional.  Why would anyone take a repo VIN Decal and try to pass it off as being the original if the entire scenario was a simple mistake resulting from a typo? 
TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

familymopar

Quote from: ECS on July 12, 2014, 01:22:44 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on July 11, 2014, 05:30:16 PM
Typos happen.

Typos certainly happen but someone intentionally tried to age the reproduction VIN Decal and pass it off as being original.  That was calculated and intentional.  Why would anyone take a repo VIN Decal and try to pass it off as being the original if the entire scenario was a simple mistake resulting from a typo? 

I think that post was directed at 70 Charger RT's story about his own car.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

Ghoste

It was.  Definitely not trying to defend the original subject of this as I fall squarely in the camp of non-believers.

ECS

Quote from: familymopar on July 12, 2014, 01:49:25 AM
I think that post was directed at 70 Charger RT's story about his own car.

Sorry for the confusion.  I didn't connect the correlation because the metal VIN plate would not be stamped incorrectly due to a "typo" situation.  Unlike the VIN Decals (which were created via a "typed" process) the metal VIN plates were manufactured in a different fashion.
TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

472 R/T SE

Any of the old timers remember Al Merkel (sp?) of Spokane, Wa. area?  He had a '69 Charger R/T with the dash VIN having a number or letter off, can't remember which.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Saw the car at Carlisle, interesting story, and it's certainly underway to restoration. Neat car, whatever the story. :Twocents:

resq302

Looks like they are still trying to say the car originally came with a 6 pack when it quite possibly was a typo.  I'd sooner believe that the car would have come with air conditioning if the rad opening was the 26" and the firewall was the stamped a/c set up.  Definitely easier to change it to a 6 pack set up with just taking the intake off and bolting up the new six pack set up and modifying the air cleaner housing than trying to remove and add an a/c heater box, drilling out the holes in the firewall, etc.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

familymopar

I am confident that the new owner is aware of the claims of ECS and our thread here (the video talks about the debate online).  To see that poster featuring the door sticker as "evidence" irks me a bit.  He has every right to claim the car is whatever he wishes and make his best case, but, believing that ECS made that sticker, it just feels dirty to me now.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

resq302

Where is the video on the car or was it at the display?  I unfortunately could not see the car first hand due to trying to rush through what I needed to and then get home due to a family emergency.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

familymopar

Quote from: resq302 on July 13, 2014, 10:34:27 AM
Where is the video on the car or was it at the display?  I unfortunately could not see the car first hand due to trying to rush through what I needed to and then get home due to a family emergency.

No it's on the new owner's facebook page.  I posted it a while back but it is buried in this thread.  here is the link again:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152131663768930&set=vb.58843378929&type=2&theater

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

Ghoste

resq302

I think the new owner has a LOT of mis-information in that video.  He says that the original door VIN sticker is still there while Dave (ECS) has proof that he made a reproduction for them.  It is obvious that someone had aged that decal.  The owner also says that the coin designates the K frame as a six pack frame.  To my knowledge, all that the coin designates is the date code for the car.  Maybe I am wrong on that as the coins started in late 69 or early 70s.  I agree that the car is a factory A/C car as the firewall clearly shows that.  The whole thing about it being a factory 6 pack is where the suspicion lies.  Everything else you could have gotten with a 440 single 4 bbl car.  To add to the suspicion is that the original engine is not there.  That would also clear up the mess with the VIN no the engine.  Again, its long gone so there is no weight with that.

Someone trying to pass this off as an original factory car without solid proof is just deceitful and wrong!  Then again, he could get Galen to certify the car and all will be good with the world!   :smilielol:
Brian

Ghoste

I sometimes wish I had the disposable income of an Arab oil sheik and I would buy all of these cars with dubious at best claims and stuff them in a vault to await actual evidence instead of relying on the house of straws they all erect.

familymopar

Quote from: Ghoste on July 13, 2014, 12:22:46 PM
I sometimes wish I had the disposable income of an Arab oil sheik and I would buy all of these cars with dubious at best claims and stuff them in a vault to await actual evidence instead of relying on the house of straws they all erect.

I agree, although this would not be one of the cars to go into the vault.  If you believe ECS, as I do, and I think the evidence here is pretty strong, then it is a fact that the sticker is a reproduction, it was artificially aged, passed off as original, and given the blessing of at least one expert.  This kills everything else about the claims on the car to me.  There was simply no benign reason to do it.

If I had the disposable income of an Arab oil sheik, I would buy this car, remove all possible fake documentation, and just make it an awesome 70.  That is the best it can ever be for me.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

Ghoste

I agree, the claim he is making is just plain false.

HANDM

Some folks (new owner or owners) simply choose to believe what they want and live in a fantasy world.... sad really.

And why would anyone believe the sellers word and an article over all of the evidence posted here by the finest mopar owners on the net is beyond explanation

Homerr

This car should be restored as a 440-4bbl, ditch the door VIN tag and have ECS make a proper one, and be known as the 'typo' car.  Instead it will have bad blood associated with it as long as they keep trying to make it something it's not.

Davtona

I was hoping when this car was displayed at Carlisle that the real story on this car would come out. Guess not!! However it is a very nice U code 440 4 barrel car in my opinion that has a typo in the VIN. Great color and option package no doubt. The one of one thing has been disproven however and the car will always have a stigma attached to it now. The reproduction door tag seals the deal for me. Nobody purposely ages a tag and then presents it as the original for any reason other than to deceive people. I believe ECS 100% that he reproduced this door tag. Its not any suprise to me that this door tag fooled the supposed expert. Sad that ECS's work which is reproduced good enough to fool these so called experts is used in the wrong way. This type of stuff is not good for the hobby in general. 

:Twocents:

69CoronetRT

All the 'documentation' used for this car is easily reproduced.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

familymopar

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on July 13, 2014, 05:18:19 PM
All the 'documentation' used for this car is easily reproduced.

I agree.  The door sticker is a reproduction as far as I am concerned, end of story.  This fender tag means nothing to me either.  It is strange to me that the (presumably) typo on the vin tag is consistent with the stamping on the radiator support and the trunk lip, all showing a V code, and the car has an AC firewall.  It is all a moot point as once a fraud is shown it's done for me, nonetheless I still find this odd.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

Davtona

Quote from: familymopar on July 13, 2014, 05:31:27 PM

It is strange to me that the (presumably) typo on the vin tag is consistent with the stamping on the radiator support and the trunk lip, all showing a V code,

I'm not following you here. Are you saying the V is stamped in the radiator support and trunk lip number?

resq302

Quote from: Davtona on July 13, 2014, 05:11:23 PM

I was hoping when this car was displayed at Carlisle that the real story on this car would come out. Guess not!! However it is a very nice U code 440 4 barrel car in my opinion that has a typo in the VIN. Great color and option package no doubt. The one of one thing has been disproven however and the car will always have a stigma attached to it now. The reproduction door tag seals the deal for me. Nobody purposely ages a tag and then presents it as the original for any reason other than to deceive people. I believe ECS 100% that he reproduced this door tag. Its not any suprise to me that this door tag fooled the supposed expert. Sad that ECS's work which is reproduced good enough to fool these so called experts is used in the wrong way. This type of stuff is not good for the hobby in general. 

:Twocents:

I agree.  This car would be a really nice 70 Charger if the truth came out about this car. Obviously, the new owner wants his "claim to fame" as having this ultra rare 1 of 1 car that Chrysler supposedly couldn't have made yet somehow did.  Once something fraudulent is exposed like this, there is a strong underlying about what else might have been fudged on this car.  Like I've posted before, I see more than one inconsistent thing with this car and the fact that the VIN decal is a KNOWN fake that was aged just puts more weight on the fact that if the other stuff smells fishy, then it probably is.
Brian