News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Questions about my VIN tag.

Started by Syreal_70, October 29, 2013, 01:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tan top

Quote from: Syreal_70 on November 12, 2013, 11:29:09 PM
Sorry for the delay in replies. Spent some time with the Charger today and it sure looks like it is original. I have a friend coming to look at it. He has several low mileage Mopars in his collection and will inspect it for me. I made contact with a previous owner. He states he found it in Nebraska in a feed lot where it sat for "decades" The car has L60-14 rear slicks that look like they are 40 years old. If this car is a fake it was done in the 70s by someone with a time machine! Car is barn fresh. I just ask myself why would someone repop a trim tag 35 years ago on an unfinished car? Now hopefully, with more time I can post more pictures. Eric

thanks for the update ,   :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:   :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Tom Q on November 09, 2013, 06:58:22 AM
Let's try to be open minded here. :popcrn:

The attached photo clearly shows factory cruise control on a six pak. All the hardware is 100% correct
Hmmm what color was that engine...look at the untouched condition of all that correct hardware...

Cruise control requires a "lost motion link" - LML -that link connects the throttle to the cruise cable.
It attached to a hole in the throttle linkage...in the proper geometric location
While all 4bbl cars have the hole for the LML. six paks never did...however this six pak with cruise looks as factory as you can get....

As for AC and a six pak-There are at least other 2 examples of a six pak with factory a/c
One is a red challenger convert -used to belong to a former collector Brian Thomas
The other is an exec built challenger
I have the ft info and more on the Challenger, and saw the red convert myself.
Blueprints to put the notch required in the air cleaner have not been discovered yet, but could exist.

That looks like a small block. Is that a pic of your old AAR? You added that on you AAR.

Syreal_70

A couple of more pictures and another question

The Vin from a different angle (note rivets)

Any idea what sticker was next to the trim tag?

A/C Vacuum canister
1970 Charger V Code Sublime 6 Pack - AKA The Mysteriess

Syreal_70

Trunk VIN matches

Core support matches

Sorry for the block out. I still need to get this titled, and I need to keep the vin a secret

Syreal_70

Not exactly a thing of beauty yet. Going to start moving forward soon, now that it has cooled down a bit here in AZ.

Sweet Fenton Super Sharks!

Syreal_70

Anyone recognize this dealer sticker? (a long shot I know) Legend has it this was a Nebraska car

charge69

I really hope you have a rare model that wasn't generally available to the public!  As to the sticker that went by the fender tag:  It was probably an emission sticker with idle instructions on it such as this one:

http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/md827.html

Syreal_70

charge69

I really wish you could find a build sheet for  the Charger somewhere. It would list the emission decal as well as any other decals put on the car at the factory. However, I feel pretty sure the questioned area next to the fender tag was where the emission/idle rpm sticker belonged.

Homerr

There was a question about the fender tag being bent on the corner or not.  I think the tag looked bent but straightened out.  The rust spot on the inner fender seems to back that up.

polywideblock

:iagree:  would also point at original paint  (what's left of it )

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Syreal_70

The drivers side is original paint. At some point the passenger side front fender and rear quarter were hit, repaired and repainted.

I guess this is the bend and rust in the left corner?

polywideblock

yep  :yesnod:  rusty triangle is where tag was fixed with one screw and bent up for paint

Syreal_70

Since I originally posted this I have begun the process of having a 3rd party appraisal/validation on the car. I have not done anything with it since it arrived and plan on waiting for the validation report. I really appreciate all the comments from everyone. I will keep everyone updated as we restore this car.

One thing that has surprised me is the lack of reproduction parts that you guys have access too. It has brought a new appreciation for well done charger restorations.  Thanks again  :cheers: Eric Jackson

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Syreal_70 on November 14, 2013, 08:10:38 AM
Since I originally posted this I have begun the process of having a 3rd party appraisal/validation on the car. I have not done anything with it since it arrived and plan on waiting for the validation report. I really appreciate all the comments from everyone. I will keep everyone updated as we restore this car.

One thing that has surprised me is the lack of reproduction parts that you guys have access too. It has brought a new appreciation for well done charger restorations.  Thanks again  :cheers: Eric Jackson

These days we are actually spoiled with parts since AMD came out with b body stuff. You can almost build a car now with metal. Interior you can get it all too.

70 has some special one off parts though compared to 68-9. Kool car

DC_1

Quote from: Syreal_70 on November 14, 2013, 08:10:38 AM

One thing that has surprised me is the lack of reproduction parts that you guys have access too. It has brought a new appreciation for well done charger restorations.  Thanks again  :cheers: Eric Jackson

Is the person you hired a respected Mopar appraiser? I only ask because IMO the collective knowledge and comment you get from people on this site, many who are devoted Charger aficionados,  will give you the best insight into what you have.  :Twocents:

maxwellwedge

Was that a small vacuum can under the battery tray?

A383Wing

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 14, 2013, 09:26:42 AM
Was that a small vacuum can under the battery tray?

Storage canister for AC vacuum system?

hawkeye

That is what a 70 vacuum can looks like.  It is only about half the size of the 68 and 69.  Probably because the electric headlight opener --doesn't need as much reserve vacuum.

Ghoste

The sticker by the fender tag would definitely be the emission decal.  I'd have to concur on the appraisal too, it would be nearly impossible to get an accurate one from anybody who wasn't very well versed in Mopars.  This car is valuable even if it were just a Six Pack car, as it is it could turn out to be much more valued than that obviously.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hawkeye on November 14, 2013, 10:54:06 AM
That is what a 70 vacuum can looks like.  It is only about half the size of the 68 and 69.  Probably because the electric headlight opener --doesn't need as much reserve vacuum.

Did a 70 use electric and vacuum on the headlights? Somehow I am thinking.......maybe not?

Ghoste

It's just the way its worded.  He was trying to say that the ac vacuum reserve could use a can half the size of the reserve can in a 68 or 69 because it didn't need to power headlight doors.

polywideblock

hate to say it but the only independent mopar expert/appraiser that I can think of    :scratchchin:   will charge an arm and a leg and will probably take 2 years to get back to you   :eek2:

paironines

That almost looks like an air grabber can under the battery tray which isn't possible.  All of the 70 Chargers ive owned didn't have a can under the battery tray. I owned one California Charger so maybe that has something to do with emissions? Ill have to dig out my pictures of that car.

Ghoste

Never had a 70 myself so I couldn't say.  I thought it came from the midwest?  Could it be an engineering adaptation to use ac on a Six Pack??