News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Questions about my VIN tag.

Started by Syreal_70, October 29, 2013, 01:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger_fan_4ever

Upon closer inspection is there any fj5 paint on the F tag itself ? Hard to tell from the pic. I thought the black was grime, but i'm curious now.

68X426

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on November 01, 2013, 09:36:49 AM
Here is another sun faded dash tag.....

Bingo. When this plate is expanded to 2000%, the black is faded, scratched, abraded, and nicked up. It easy to see without enhancement that it is fading. The first plate shows none of that.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

polywideblock

here are the questioned vin tags side by side

rosette rivets look right, grime around them is embedded almost identically (same patterns and dispersion ) looks like vin has  just been "cleaned " by new or previous owner . look around the tag instead of at the tag  :popcrn:

either way syreal_70 you've got a cool car in a desirable colour with some cool options, because its a 70 model and you couldn't get that colour before 70   :yesnod:  think i'd add the 70 only rear spoiler when restoring it  just because you can,  but you might want to keep it 100% stock  but  thats YOUR decision     :2thumbs:  :cheers:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

bill440rt

Quote from: polywideblock on November 01, 2013, 12:47:45 PM
... you might want to keep it 100% stock  but  thats YOUR decision     :2thumbs:  :cheers:

Yep, it's his car to do as he wishes. But man, if it's actually legit there's no way I would deviate from anything on this one.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

Quote from: polywideblock on November 01, 2013, 12:47:45 PM
here are the questioned vin tags side by side

rosette rivets look right, grim around them is embedded almost identically (same patterns and dispersion ) looks like vin has  just been "cleaned " by new or previous owner . look around the tag instead of at the tag  :popcrn:

either way syreal_70 you've got a cool car in a desirable colour with some cool options, because its a 70 model and you couldn't get that colour before 70   :yesnod:  think i'd add the 70 only rear spoiler when restoring it  just because you can,  but you might want to keep it 100% stock  but  thats YOUR decision     :2thumbs:  :cheers:

I have to agree on this.  It almost looks identical!  The only difference I would say would be that maybe the one that Chris posted could have been more degraded by the sun / elements as you would expect the black to then be silver once the black started wearing off.  The grime around the rivets is the same.

Either way, great find and welcome to the site!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

Main difference with the tag I posted is that the windshield was out....notice the rust on the dash frame itself...even though its a tan interior
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

More sunkist
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Brock Lee

You would think if someone was going to fake a vin tag, they would have at least made it fit the usual appearance to not raise flags. My '69 318 car is on its way to looking like these tags, and it has the stock windshield. The black is actually starting to flake off in little dots. The white screened parts are the only parts not flaking.

polywideblock

just a thought on the silver tags , back in the day here in Australia everyone used armor all   by the bucket load.   was there other brands with different compositions ? if someone used a product that was not the popular one and over the years the different chemical composition "stripped" the vin tag  :shruggy:
would explain why only some have it

charger Downunder

The amount of fading of the black all depends on how long its been exposed to the sun.
If i owned the car i wouldn't do anymore work on it until i got someone out who is well respected and known in the mopar world to go over the car and inspect it and all associated paper work and documentation from past owners.
[/quote]

dual fours

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on November 01, 2013, 09:45:27 AM
Upon closer inspection is there any fj5 paint on the F tag itself ? Hard to tell from the pic. I thought the black was grime, but i'm curious now.

Any paint on the backside of the fender tag? :popcrn:
If you track down previous owners, maybe your find locations of service shops that serviced your, (I like it) car.
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

moparfan53

Quote from: tan top on October 31, 2013, 04:02:09 PM
Quote from: Syreal_70 on October 30, 2013, 06:52:25 PM
... What was included in the A01 Light Package? Eric
A01 on a 69 Charger   

ashtray light
glove box light
trunk light
ignition switch light with time delay
map light
headlamp on warning buzzer

pretty sure the 70 charger is the same deal  :scratchchin:

not sure if hood turn signals are part of the A01 ,  which is code L31  ,  ive got  them ! but have the  A47  , special edition  package too , which include the L31  hood turn signal &  A01 light group package ,

await to be corrected on any of this   :yesnod: :cheers: :cheers:  :2thumbs:

According to the dealer data books;

For '69 models - hood turn signals were not included in the light package

For '70 models - hood turn signals were included in the light package

:cheers:

Chargerguy74

On all the tags posted on this page the top of the pentastar seams to line up in between the 4th and 5th digit. The V code tag it seams to line up directly with the 5th digit. Just something I noticed. I'd have to go look at my tags.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: dual fours on November 01, 2013, 07:56:21 PM

If you track down previous owners, maybe your find locations of service shops that serviced your, (I like it) car.

All the f tags I have seen the backside is baremetal. Holds water as they were on the car then painted.

Brock Lee

Yeah, they look like they were made in such a way that a large sheet of aluminum was painted or coated black, a silk screen was then used to screen on all the white, then a machine stamped out the "blanks" from that sheet. The blanks were then used in the number stamping machine and attached to the car. Any one of the steps of screening, stamping, and numbering could make things position slightly different from each other.

I also believe the screens were refreshed and led to variances in that look as well. Some tags have beautiful, crisp graphics. Others have a slightly fuzzy look. I know in the products my company makes, we have to burn new screens regularly as they wear out and that same fuzzy look starts to happen as a screen wears out.

dual fours

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on November 02, 2013, 10:30:46 AM
Quote from: dual fours on November 01, 2013, 07:56:21 PM

All the f tags I have seen the backside is baremetal. Holds water as they were on the car then painted.

If the fender tag was flat down on the fender when painted, how's come there is that little crease in the left hand top of the 1970's fender tag, like it has been bent up?
And wouldn't the fender not be painted under the fender tag?

1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

polywideblock

I believe different plants did it different ways some even hung them off a piece of wire  theres a thread about a super bee somewhere one here they found the "missing" tags still hanging on wire under dash ,some folded some didn't put them on till after assembly    :scratchchin:

472 R/T SE

St. Louis bent the tags in the left corner to paint on a single tag car.

Still curious if the body #'s match? 

polywideblock

Quote from: Syreal_70 on October 29, 2013, 03:32:08 PM
Yes all the numbers match including trim tag, trunk lip and radiator support. Eric

resq302

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on November 02, 2013, 07:45:07 PM
St. Louis bent the tags in the left corner to paint on a single tag car.

Still curious if the body #'s match? 

Hamtramck's plant was the same with the bent corner.  I did hear of one of the plants though who hung the tag from a thin wire on the windshield frame and it got painted that way.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

472 R/T SE

Quote from: polywideblock on November 02, 2013, 08:15:26 PM
Yes all the numbers match including trim tag, trunk lip and radiator support. Eric

Missed that, thanks.

The way the OP makes it sound he doesn't know anything about these rigs, his past specializing in Corvettes' so I guess I'm surprised he knew where those #s' were?   :shruggy:

Also, maybe some of you other cruise control fellas' can help shed light on this.  I have a cruise control car & the only thing I was missing was what they called some kind of "---- link"  The link attaches one of throttle cables to the carb.  The pic is easier to explain & it happens to be a '70 Charger.

What I'm having a hard time envisioning is that link attaching to the center carb.  The cable would have to go around the rearward carb linkage I would think.  There's a lot of engineering just for that.  A longer throttle cable would be required as well I think?

Maybe a pic would help.

This will give you an idea.  This engine bay has A/C & cruise also.   I don't see that intake package fitting in there, you?

charger_fan_4ever

The more I look at the pics of the car I'm thinking I have seen pics before of this one.On the 70 site maybe? Was a few years ago.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: polywideblock on November 02, 2013, 08:15:26 PM

All those numbers would match no matter what engine was in there....if the f-tag and VIN plate are 100% legit - then everything body-wise would match.

polywideblock

so the question is would the factory have shipped it with a four barrel under the hood but ALL the tags calling out a six pack or did it come with the 6 pack and a tag calling out air/cruise   but neither on the car ,or the one I like a Chrysler executive decided he wanted something "special" and pulled some strings to get a one off made for him 6 pack with air and cruise . if only the int. was still in car ,have heard of build sheets being taped under dash . has OP checked EVERY inch of what's left to make sure there's not a partial somewhere  :Twocents:

69CoronetRT

Quote from: polywideblock on November 04, 2013, 12:21:01 PM
so the question is:

1: would the factory have shipped it with a four barrel under the hood but ALL the tags calling out a six pack or
2) did it come with the 6 pack and a tag calling out air/cruise   but neither on the car ,or
3) the one I like a Chrysler executive decided he wanted something "special" and pulled some strings to get a one off made for him 6 pack with air and cruise

1) Doubtful.
2) It's yet to be proven the VIN and tag are factory and not remakes (Sorry..... but this fact has not been established yet. We know that remade bad VIN tags and fender tags exist on highly desirable cars. Confirming or supporting documentation had not been presented. Credible past owner history has not been presented. Visual documentation of 6BBl only items haven't been presented. Old pictures have not been presented. Trust but verify... especially on a car like this.)
3) It's not guaranteed but I would think it's highly probable a car of this unique build would carry some sort of designation like a specialty VON or Y39 code on the tag.

my :Twocents:
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.