News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Questions about my VIN tag.

Started by Syreal_70, October 29, 2013, 01:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxwellwedge

Ok everyone - Let's all take a breath here.

Unless there is a broadcast sheet - I am still a little doubtful. The second one mentioned states something about a dealership modding brackets - so all bets are off on that one. Again - show me the buildsheet.

After all the decades and all of the cars I have seen - this is just too weird to happen. 2 non-approved options that the factory engineering would have had to invest capital to make very special, unique parts for what -  1 or 2 cars? And to recoup that engineering investment - why wouldn't they make it an allowable option after all that?

Now if you would please excuse me - I need to go work on my 73 Hemi Charger with the 3-speed manual trans... ;)

DC_1

I can see the front and rear glass is long gone but does it have the green tinted Airtemp glass in the quarters and doors?

With the interference of the air cleaner and special brackets that would be required I doubt it was done on the line. Anything that takes longer than the 35-45 sec per station would have been done off line or at the dealer.

I worked on the line at Chrysler in the 90s. Getting special equipment (especially a 1 of 1) added that would take additional time on the line wouldn't happen unless it was time studied and process engineered to happen

And the fact that it has a Canadian order number with the non-available options is also another very weird fact.

As someone who owns a A/C equipped car that was ordered in Canada I can tell you it is somewhat rare. Back in the 70's it was a luxury to have A/C in your house let alone in your car. Few such equiped cars were ordered in the midwestern US or Canada. Most A/C cars went into the southern US from the non-scientific research I have done.

maxwellwedge

A/C and tinted glass.

Tint was not mandatory with A/C - but it was a "suggested" option.

Syreal_70

Sorry for  the simple question, but how can you tell its a Canadian order? Thanks Eric
1970 Charger V Code Sublime 6 Pack - AKA The Mysteriess

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Syreal_70 on October 31, 2013, 10:33:31 AM
Sorry for  the simple question, but how can you tell its a Canadian order? Thanks Eric

Don't think it is.
Your VON is 037572 - A Canadian order would have started with a letter - like B perhaps.

Syreal_70

Thanks...

DC_1's "And the fact that it has a Canadian order number with the non-available options is also another very weird fact. "

Threw me...

Eric

Syreal_70

For those that know let me ask a few questions.

I know the car had A/C. Controls, vents, firewall etc.

What are the tell tales for a V Code? (other then E87 and the V in the vin) 26" radiator and what else

Thanks

Eric

FJMG

Should have a skid plate as well as a date code on the K member and a 3/8" fuel supply along with a 5/16" return.

Syreal_70

Thanks I will check those. Eric

maxwellwedge

A U code will have that as well - but still good to check.

charger_fan_4ever

If i recall i thought my 70 r/t fender tag had an backwards C stamped off center at the top ? Mine has those 3 odd bumps embossed in the top right. Thought i recall that odd C being a 70 thing.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 31, 2013, 07:52:41 AM

Unless there is a broadcast sheet - I am still a little doubtful. The second one mentioned states something about a dealership modding brackets - so all bets are off on that one. Again - show me the buildsheet.

After all the decades and all of the cars I have seen - this is just too weird to happen. 2 non-approved options that the factory engineering would have had to invest capital to make very special, unique parts for what -  1 or 2 cars? And to recoup that engineering investment - why wouldn't they make it an allowable option after all that?

Now if you would please excuse me - I need to go work on my 73 Hemi Charger with the 3-speed manual trans... ;)

QuoteYour VON is 037572 - A Canadian order would have started with a letter - like B perhaps.

Agree on most counts. (3 speed N/A on 73 Hemis. Four speed overdrive or Clutchflite only  ;))

When one shows up with a car that is not supposed to exist, is incomplete, has no verifiable factory paper documentation (WS, BS, Invoice) and key items (VIN tag, Fender tag, door decal) that are available aftermarket (forged items do exist), one must be very sure as to what one is talking about and documenting.

Let's get it right folks.....
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on October 31, 2013, 12:22:07 PM
If i recall i thought my 70 r/t fender tag had an backwards C stamped off center at the top ? Mine has those 3 odd bumps embossed in the top right. Thought i recall that odd C being a 70 thing.

That would be an inspection stamp. It would not be common to all cars or all plants.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

DC_1

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 31, 2013, 10:42:31 AM
Quote from: Syreal_70 on October 31, 2013, 10:33:31 AM
Sorry for  the simple question, but how can you tell its a Canadian order? Thanks Eric

Don't think it is.
Your VON is 037572 - A Canadian order would have started with a letter - like B perhaps.

Ooops...sorry, I was getting my threads mixed up. There is a thread about a 69 Hemi Charger and a discussion about if it was legit or not. The question obout the B in the order number came up in that thread......guess I needed another coffee ;)

JB400

Isn't the 6 pack throttle cable different than the 4 bbl for 70?

maxwellwedge

paironines

So far, it seems legit. The key is in the previous owners and their family photos with the car. Finding info on this car would be job one before I took it apart personally. Even if it was real I wouldn't want it. Id be explaining it to everyone til the end of time.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on October 31, 2013, 12:23:28 PM

QuoteYour VON is 037572 - A Canadian order would have started with a letter - like B perhaps.

Agree on most counts. (3 speed N/A on 73 Hemis. Four speed overdrive or Clutchflite only  ;))

When one shows up with a car that is not supposed to exist, is incomplete, has no verifiable factory paper documentation (WS, BS, Invoice) and key items (VIN tag, Fender tag, door decal) that are available aftermarket (forged items do exist), one must be very sure as to what one is talking about and documenting.

That's what was in it when I bought it...... :icon_smile_cool:

Syreal_70

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on October 31, 2013, 12:23:28 PM

When one shows up with a car that is not supposed to exist, is incomplete, has no verifiable factory paper documentation (WS, BS, Invoice) and key items (VIN tag, Fender tag, door decal) that are available aftermarket (forged items do exist), one must be very sure as to what one is talking about and documenti

Thanks for the input. As far as what you see from my pictures does anything look out of place? (other then the H51 and N88 codes)

My area of expertise is in the Corvette world. I know I can pretty much tell a fake Mid year trim tag by closely looking at it (at least ones that are 90's tp 2000s era repops.)

I ask this because I have pretty much dropped my pants here and shown you mine. If you want to breath and say they might be (or could be) repops please provide what you see that may make you breath.  

Eric

Syreal_70

I know that, at least in the Corvette world, when copos or non RPOs where ordered often times they would be installed or fitted in the repair shop at the plant. Not necessitating engineered parts. From what I hear the big hurtle on a 6 pack is the air cleaner housing would interfear with the compressor. That could be fixed in the repair shop.

This 1963 Corvette I am intimately involved was not available via RPOs but it exists:

Its anecdotal, but now that I am defending a car that I had no idea was this special, I need to be very careful about saying it can't be just because it can't be.

Eric

maxwellwedge

I know a bit about the GM stuff.....I have a '67 Vette and an LS6 rag....with paper. In the GM world - as you know - paper is everything. Better if it is GM Canada or a Pontiac. Chrysler - because the engine code was in the VIN, are tougher to fake...but anything can be.....even sheets. I have sent a link of this thread to someone a lot smarter than I am on tags and VIN's. I truly hope, for your sake this turns out to be ok.  I hope you bought it "right" so it doesn't matter if it turns out to be a U code or not.

Syreal_70

Max, thanks yes I did buy it right so either way I'm good. Very excited to bring this Mistress back from the brink...

Just thought of a name for it the Mysteriess

Eric

tan top

Quote from: Syreal_70 on October 30, 2013, 06:52:25 PM
Thanks to the links for the RPO codes. Now I need to find an AM 8 track.. Just checked eBay jeez they are a bit pricey. What was included in the A01 Light Package? Eric

A01 on a 69 Charger    

ashtray light
glove box light
trunk light
ignition switch light with time delay
map light
headlamp on warning buzzer

pretty sure the 70 charger is the same deal  :scratchchin:

not sure if hood turn signals are part of the A01 ,  which is code L31  ,  ive got  them ! but have the  A47  , special edition  package too , which include the L31  hood turn signal &  A01 light group package ,

await to be corrected on any of this   :yesnod: :cheers: :cheers:  :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

charger Downunder

All that would of happened when it was built,they would off just had to cut back the six pack base plate to make it fit no big deal. I have seen this done with six packs in Australia and there must be heaps in the USA with the base plate cut back on cars that people added the six pack to and wanted to keep air.

Would be good to find the build sheet or old pics and info from first owner or owners. Vin and tag what more do you need i would love to have that car.

Everyone dig through your old pics and see if you have some of the car.
[/quote]

472 R/T SE

Syreal_70.  Way cool ride you got.  Definitely a conversation starter.   ;)

Have you checked the rad. support & trunk lip to see if this body is correct?  I realize it has what looks like original paint.  But I'd be curious if the correct #'s are stamped.

The numeral inspection stamps were obviously not very sharp since all the machine left were divots'.
Curious if you can see the faint numerals' inside the divots or if they're just divots?
Looking at the St. Louis tags I have, I've never seen one with that wide of an inspection spacing divot. 

I'd be looking throughout the glovebox area & even possibly the headliner for any broadcast sheets.  I know with my blue Charger I had 3 sheets luckily.

That's gonna be a looker.  Sublime hardtop with the hood black out, wowser.