News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Questions about my VIN tag.

Started by Syreal_70, October 29, 2013, 01:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syreal_70

The date is 2/70

Sorry for the blurry picture. I will get a better one.

Eric
1970 Charger V Code Sublime 6 Pack - AKA The Mysteriess

maxwellwedge

It could be....and the interior color may look like light green because of the camera.

What is the date on the door VIN? - OK You beat my post!  :lol:

We are trying to help here.

Syreal_70

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 30, 2013, 01:45:44 PM
It could be....and the interior color may look like light green because of the camera.

What is the date on the door VIN?

We are trying to help here.

Thanks MAx I really appreciate it. Not used to having a rare car like this. Didn't expect all the attention!

Eric

bill440rt

With the options, color and stuff dare I say one-of-one?  :scratchchin:

If the A/C with a 6-pack is legit, then absolutely!  :o
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

duanesterrr

Quote from: bill440rt on October 30, 2013, 01:54:24 PM
With the options, color and stuff dare I say one-of-one?  :scratchchin:

If the A/C with a 6-pack is legit, then absolutely!  :o

The power of the 440/6 plus the creature comforts of AC and Cruise?  I'll take 2!

Very interesting thread and I am looking forward to seeing this one restored.

Homerr

Syreal_70 -

Whatever you do with this car take a lot of good quality photos of everything before you take it apart!  Since this car is odd/rare/one-of-a-kind it'll be important to photo-document as much as possible if you want to maintain maximum value and counter any future "but, but Ma Mopar never built them that way!" naysayers.

Bonus points for posting pics here.   ;D

Syreal_70

Thanks for the input everyone. I was excited, now I am very excited. I plan on taking a ton of photos.  The car is rough but what is there looks original so documenting vin number stamps etc is a must. Eric

tan top

Quote from: Syreal_70 on October 29, 2013, 03:50:24 PM
Been a Corvette guy for years,  I am new to the fender tag world, is there a site that I can break down this trim tag somewhere?

:scope: :faint:   :o 

Quote from: bill440rt on October 30, 2013, 01:54:24 PM
With the options, color and stuff dare I say one-of-one?  :scratchchin:

If the A/C with a 6-pack is legit, then absolutely!  :o

:yesnod:   A/C  & a 6 pack  :faint:

Quote from: Syreal_70 on October 30, 2013, 02:44:57 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I was excited, now I am very excited. I plan on taking a ton of photos.  The car is rough but what is there looks original so documenting vin number stamps etc is a must. Eric

this is interesting  / amazing stuff ,  have you looked for a broadcast sheet ?  , have you  checked the body numbers stamped on the radiator / core support , &  under the left side of the trunk weather strip
looking forward to seeing more pictures &  up dates & stuff as you progress !!  :cheers: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Syreal_70

I dont think the broadcast sheet is left. The interior was removed by a previous owner. All of the SEQ numbers seem to be there and match the VIN. This car sat for 30+ years with little or no work done to it. I hope I can get some info from an owner I know of from 25 years ago. Fingers crossed. Eric

69CoronetRT

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 30, 2013, 01:39:57 PM
For a Feb car VIN sounds low....

Production at STL for 1970 was lower than previous years.

From what I have on hand, I don't see a big problem with the VIN/SPD correlation.

Has anyone from the 70 Charger registry chimed in yet?
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

A383Wing

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on October 30, 2013, 06:18:11 PM

I have, but my voice carries no weight....and I'm just waiting for the final verdict on this car   :popcrn:

Syreal_70

Thanks to the links for the RPO codes. Now I need to find an AM 8 track.. Just checked eBay jeez they are a bit pricey. What was included in the A01 Light Package? Eric

bill440rt

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on October 30, 2013, 06:18:11 PM

Several have.     :whistling:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

charger Downunder

My 70 charger is 206 feb 6th vin 186791 door sticker 2 1970.

They would have had to cut the lower part of the air cleaner back to make the ac fit. Someone had some pull at Chrysler.
[/quote]

fy469rtse

Quote from: polywideblock on October 29, 2013, 09:14:17 PM
fender tag calls out e87 -6 pack and h51- air cond.    that's a big no no from the factory    :scratchchin:   original owner  must have had a heap of cash or knew someone at mopar
I have one too , will register this car eventually, but  Aircon 70 V code as well, all was installed except compressor to engine, I originally thought it an error

fy469rtse

I will dig mine out of storage, dealer modified and altered brackets to compressor, do you have these , will find them, mine I mean,  and take shots, also different cant remember if its the pressure side air condition line used is different to the posted photos, mine is like yours all other a/c parts fitted, no cruise though
the cruise is an interesting one, is this car an auto, have to go back through thread to read fender tag,
only way to check this vin Tag to dash, photo graph rivets from underneath as well, remove windscreen, is windscreen original , original rubber seal also ?,
photo document everything or you will never hear the end of it,
vins have a distinct colour to rear off them, reissued vin tags by Chrysler differ from originals, mine too looks like that ,
very sun damaged but the Chrysler logo is throwing me, I took photo's tonnes of them, so will try and locate them for you, I'm sure no logo to mine , all silver or base material,
have build sheet on mine , you could try and see if your build sheet on record , 70 Registry great for this info,
I didn't have air cleaner or matching intake for mine, so could be that dealer ship realised that the two were incompatible, when I found mine 4 barrel was on it , correct date too ,
carb was a late holley so that didn't help with what was correct,

charger Downunder

Wow looks like we have two now. I like this thread. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
[/quote]

ws23rt

I too would like to see any more info on this topic.
I did some rough measuring/fitting and the ac compressor will fit in the space with the air cleaner in tact.  But would need unique mounting brackets and hoses.

It seems however that Chrysler didn't make these adaptations. If a dealer made them it would be interesting to see their method.

polywideblock

like I said one very interesting car now maybe two     :popcrn:  need lots of pics  :yesnod: don't mater how rough it is what a score    :cheers:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

fy469rtse

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on October 30, 2013, 12:19:32 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 30, 2013, 10:05:40 AM
Quote from: polywideblock on October 30, 2013, 12:01:37 AM
remember  I read an article about a "root beer" brown superbird in moparformance back in the 80's said the "weird "cars were built during lunch while supervisors were away from line    :shruggy:

That was a paint line mistake...they mistook FJ5 and painted them FK5....I think 3 of them.

I don't know if I like this A/C E87 thing.....Like 69Coronet mentioned - the tag shows a normal VON.....It would surely have been a special VON. Too many things to engineer on the fly to make it happen.....unless the A/C was a mistake in the body line (firewall holes were punched) and they ended up using a U code motor.....but for sure they would have done up new tags - no? F-Tag looks...ok.....I don't know what to make of the whole thing... :scratchchin:
no no special code to mine either , will be watching this one for mine

Since 440-6 w A/C was 'not available', it would be interesting to see what engine assembly code would be on the broadcast sheet. 999?

Just throwing it out there....not saying this is the case. There is more to learn here.... but people do remake VIN and fender tags. (Remember, some people do defend remade fender tags as 'harmless personalized modifications to MY car that I want and will never be misrepresented now or in the future.')

fy469rtse

It look s like that cruise was always there, maybe the 70 experts can chime in here as I'm still learning on mine and wont be posting anything to this subject again, going back to being a watcher and learner again as far as seventys go,
did these come with a ignition lock out set up for shifter, what am I looking at in engine bay shot off column, bill you can answer this one you will know better than me

Syreal_70

Thanks for the new info I am happy to hear 2 exist now. The drive train is gone so I cant tell about any A/C brackets. Your vin is silver/bare too? What is the build date? I must be dreaming finding a car this rare. WOW.  Eric

Brock Lee

I had a 70 with dealer added AC. It was just a unit that attached under the dash, not the complete factory AC. It had a slightly different version of the Airtemp decal put on the quarter glass as well (I think it said Amana).

fy469rtse

Quote from: Ghoste on October 29, 2013, 09:16:32 PM
Even with an automatic?
mines a four speed , are you sure of that , always thought that aircon was not with six pack regardless of trans
I couldn't find anything to prove that it was allowed or ordered

fy469rtse

I thought with aircon you got tinted glass automatically ?,
Brackets to compressor are a hack job , very rough but also very old too, they looked like they had always been there