News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Questions about my VIN tag.

Started by Syreal_70, October 29, 2013, 01:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syreal_70

Hello everyone, I just picked up a V code 1970 Charger and have a question maybe someone can answer. It needs total restoration, but one thing jumped out at me once the purchase was made. The car has a unpainted VIN plate? I have never seen one like it before. Does anyone know what makes this car different from the black plates I have seen? Thanks. Eric Jackson

Sorry for the mystery on the sequence number, but I have not titled it in my name yet and I get paranoid thinking someone else might beat me too it!
1970 Charger V Code Sublime 6 Pack - AKA The Mysteriess

cdr

I dont know about the vin plate,,but welcome to dc.com  :2thumbs:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

JB400

Quote from: cdr on October 29, 2013, 01:58:38 PM
I dont know about the vin plate,,but welcome to dc.com  :2thumbs:
X2

Glad to have you aboard.  I'm sure someone will know something

Syreal_70

Thank you! I am very excited. Been wanting a Charger for years. Was finally able to get one (one that needs a ton of sweat equity). Best of all it was originally Sublime Green.

Ghoste

Do those rivets have round heads?

tan top

hello & welcome  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:   looking forward to seeing pictures as & when   :2thumbs: :popcrn:

never seen one of these  silver / bare metal ,  Vin plates in real life , but from what I've seen on the net ,  cars that have been out in the weather/ elements , sunshine !! with out a windshield etc  & more often than not in the picture have one of these Vin  plates   , I'm thinking  the black paint wears off  as well as the silver pentastar & Chrysler corporation does the same , & leaves it in black  :yesnod: just my theory , prolly taking rubbish  :lol: especially if you charger has been in a barn / garage with windshield  in & plate covered up with cardboard for the last 40 years  :P
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hawkeye

Welcome!!  Do the numbers on the vin plate match the numbers on the radiator support, trunk lip and title?   

Syreal_70

Yes all the numbers match including trim tag, trunk lip and radiator support. Eric

Syreal_70

that may be a possiblity. The car has sat without the windshield for a decade. So the embosed Chrysler logo protected the paint beneath while the rest flaked off? The logo is very clean though and does not appear to be flaking. The rivets are rosets (sp?)

Ghoste

Okay, the rivets look round somewhat in the photo but a bit of glare there so I wan't sure.  As for the unpainted VIN tag, there are a few examples out there and they are accepted as being oem in show judging although to date no one has found a plausible explanation why some have come out that way.  I would not give it any worry at all.

Syreal_70

Been a Corvette guy for years,  I am new to the fender tag world, is there a site that I can break down this trim tag somewhere?

Syreal_70

Quote from: Ghoste on October 29, 2013, 03:48:34 PM
Okay, the rivets look round somewhat in the photo but a bit of glare there so I wan't sure.  As for the unpainted VIN tag, there are a few examples out there and they are accepted as being oem in show judging although to date no one has found a plausible explanation why some have come out that way.  I would not give it any worry at all.

There is no black paint anywhere on the tag other then the logo to me I would have never guessed it was weathered, but it does fit the exposed to the elements criteria. Eric

bill440rt

Ooooh, a sublime 6-pack car with the hood blackout treatment.  :drool5: :faint:

And welcome to DC.com:wave:
Post pics when you can, please!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

I don't think it's an exposed to the elements thing or I think it would be a lot more common.  I'm thinking it's just what the oem manual indicates and for whatever reason, a tiny handful were done that way.

hawkeye

Quote from: Syreal_70 on October 29, 2013, 03:50:24 PM
Been a Corvette guy for years,  I am new to the fender tag world, is there a site that I can break down this trim tag somewhere?

Go to http://1970chargerregistry.com/index.html and there is everything you want to know about 70 chargers.

hemihead

In my opinion that VIN Plate was removed at one time . I have never seen round head rivets holding those on . I may be wrong but I've owned and been in the Mopar game a very long time .  :scratchchin:
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Ghoste

Are they round or are they the six side rosette?  I thought they look round but the owner says they are rosette.  Is it just the photo that makes them look round?

Syreal_70

Quote from: hemihead on October 29, 2013, 05:48:54 PM
In my opinion that VIN Plate was removed at one time . I have never seen round head rivets holding those on . I may be wrong but I've owned and been in the Mopar game a very long time .  :scratchchin:

They are definitely roset rivets. A bit faded but not round.

I will get some better pictures later.

Eric

Syreal_70

Quote from: hawkeye on October 29, 2013, 04:22:51 PM
Quote from: Syreal_70 on October 29, 2013, 03:50:24 PM
Been a Corvette guy for years,  I am new to the fender tag world, is there a site that I can break down this trim tag somewhere?

Go to http://1970chargerregistry.com/index.html and there is everything you want to know about 70 chargers.

Cool thanks didn't know about that site.

Eric

Syreal_70

As you can see I am diving in deep with this project.

Ghoste

We'll make sure you don't drown. :2thumbs:

FJMG

My 69 383 car has the same "weathered" appearance. I knew the car sat for a while (probably without glass) so I never gave it much thought.

thebigmope

Are you sure that the numbers on the body of the car match the vin tag and option tag that car is an a/c car according to the dash which a six pack car did not have that option due to clearance

A383Wing

Quote from: thebigmope on October 29, 2013, 07:40:50 PM
Are you sure that the numbers on the body of the car match the vin tag and option tag that car is an a/c car according to the dash which a six pack car did not have that option due to clearance

:scratchchin:

Chargerguy74

I have a Charger sitting outside. The windshield fell in and within a year or so the VIN tag looked exactly like yours. It didn't take long exposed to the elements, I was quite surprised.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002