News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Questions about my VIN tag.

Started by Syreal_70, October 29, 2013, 01:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6bblgt

Quote from: Dodge Don on March 30, 2014, 10:15:04 PM
Quote from: 69CoronetRT on March 30, 2014, 10:08:30 PM
Quote from: Dodge Don on March 30, 2014, 10:03:09 PM
I just saw this and have not read the entire thread however the fender tag picture at start is missing the inspection punch out.

...which is not uncommon on a 70 STL tag.

Actually I'd say the opposite. The 70 Registry has tons of fender tags from 70 Chargers....all have the punch out.

::) I guess you need a few more!

TUFCAT

No problem familymopar. This whole thing has been like a good mystery! It's hard to tell what's been more interesting the car or the stories behind it.  :scratchchin:

ECS

Quote from: familymopar on March 30, 2014, 10:10:29 PM
Just to be clear, ECS, I was not questioning....

I didn't think anyone here was questioning me.  Please think nothing of the sort!  :2thumbs:  I decided to come to my office tonight and make the decal.  It's finished!  I will post a picture of the "new" one next to the picture of the one in MCG.  I will also post a screen shot of my Computer showing the VIN and date it was made.  I guess if the new owner is restoring the car, I've already have made the "new" replacement to replace the "old" replacement!  :lol:
TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

ECS

Quote from: Syreal_70 on November 13, 2013, 10:35:04 PM

The proof is right in front of everyone's eyes!  Notice the angle of the "bend" in the Fender Tag and the angle of the "rust" line on the Fender.  They are not the same angle.  Notice the right screw hole on the Fender Tag.  It mushrooms OUT instead of being pushed IN due to pressure from screw head being tightened.  There doesn't appear to be evidence that the left hole ever had an indented screw circle around the hole perimeter.   Same for the right hole.  Look at the area on the Fender where the Tag was screwed onto and the Fender Tag itself.  Where is that "blackish" filth on the outlying perimeter (where the tag use to be) on the Fender of the Car?  Where are the signs of any small "rust pits" in the Fender Tag?  Why are the letters of the Fender Tag "flat" on the high spots of the letters but other "originals" exhibit a consistent "roundness" throughout the entire letter stamping?

6bblgt

The first I heard of this car was ~5 years ago.  Here is a picture of the backside of the fender tag (flipped for orientation) & a comparison to a R/T tag with a VIN 101 cars after it.

Doesn't look like the tag was bent at that time??  :scratchchin:

ECS

Quote from: 6bblgt on March 30, 2014, 11:42:09 PM
Here is a picture of the backside of the fender tag.....

There doesn't appear to be a "rust" pattern on the back side that matches the rust pattern on the fender.  There would DEFINITELY be rust pits on the back side of the Fender Tag due to the severity of rust that is shown on the Fender.  It's also peculiar that there is not a remnant of green paint anywhere to be found in a single crevice of the Tag.  Who were the "experts" that "verified" these VIN related items?

drdodge340

Ok so the original poster is all quiet....My  :think: .02 is a factory mis-stamp dash vin ( v for u ) and the rest of vins ( door and fender tag) are repo to represent the dash vin?

this had me until ECS chimed in now, I'm a non believer  :popcrn:
Sandy in Nova Scotia formerly drdodge340 on moparts etc.
-71 charger super bee-72 aussie charger-72 aussie vh dodge ute
-72 fargo 100 swb sweptline-75 d100 swb adventurer se-76 b200 shorty van-76 feather duster
-88 power ram swb 150-95 acclaim- 98 ram 1500 SS/T-09 challenger SXT

Dodge Don

Quote from: 6bblgt on March 30, 2014, 11:42:09 PM
The first I heard of this car was ~5 years ago.  Here is a picture of the backside of the fender tag (flipped for orientation) & a comparison to a R/T tag with a VIN 101 cars after it.

Doesn't look like the tag was bent at that time??  :scratchchin:

I scanned through fender tags and will modify my statement to the vast majority have the inspection punch. Interesting that the reverse photo you posted appears to show what looks like the lower case "t" inspection punch but the tag photos originally posted do not show this.

For 70 St. Louis there is no correlation between VIN/build dates and the VON.....the VINs do go sequentially by build date but the VON are random. That said, something like this would likely not have been handled along the line as usual and I would have expected a "special order" VON....these begin with K....and the special order VONs do run sequentially against build dates. For a 204 car I would expect a VON of K00380 - 400 (ish)....something in that ballpark.

As noted by others, really need the broadcast sheet to validate. I'd expect the sheet would have the 04 - Special Order designation on the bottom.

StoneCold

Could be just the picture, but that last digit of the VIN which appears to be a 5 looks way off from the other 5's on the tag.

TUFCAT

Quote from: drdodge340 on March 31, 2014, 06:34:01 AM
Ok so the original poster is all quiet....My  :think: .02 is a factory mis-stamp dash vin ( v for u ) and the rest of vins ( door and fender tag) are repo to represent the dash vin?

this had me until ECS chimed in now, I'm a non believer  :popcrn:

For the record, we've pretty much determined the original poster (Eric) sold the car - he may not have a dog in the hunt.  It might be the new owner to clarify the new information if he chooses to.  The original owner said he was a Corvette collector and didn't know much about the significance of this Charger when he bought it. He came off nicely in the thread so I don't think he would have a problem coming back on here.... He just might not be interested anymore.   :shruggy:

TUFCAT

Quote from: StoneCold on March 31, 2014, 07:11:22 AM
Could be just the picture, but that last digit of the VIN which appears to be a 5 looks way off from the other 5's on the tag.

It might be that picture.  Here's a scan from MCG. The quality isn't so great but the "5" looks normal size compared to the rest.

Aero426

Quote from: drdodge340 on March 31, 2014, 06:34:01 AM
My  :think: .02 is a factory mis-stamp dash vin ( v for u ) and the rest of vins ( door and fender tag) are repo to represent the dash vin?

this had me until ECS chimed in now, I'm a non believer  :popcrn:

:iagree:

And for the other reasons pointed out about the tag irregularities and decals shenanigans, you'd really need the build sheet to verify.    Caveat emptor.

Y1CHARGER

Quote from: Syreal_70 on October 29, 2013, 09:22:55 PM
Its the right tag for sure. Didn't know that about the A/C hmmm very interesting. Well I guess I found a rare one. How could someone order an option like that? is it like a Copo Camaro?  Eric
I've been reading all along and just thought I'd make a comment,
I think it is really strange that Eric was surprised to hear that it was an A/C car when the A/C vents and controls are looking right back at you when looking into the car not to mention all the other components on the fire wall. 
   Also as shown NOW in the video, why did it take SO LONG for an A/C compressor to appear in the trunk?? 
It was asked in reply#52 "do the parts that came with the car include an A/C compressor, associated dual-belt pulleys, condenser, evaporator, etc?    It would be interesting to see if the A/C compressor in-situ."

Who doesn't look in the trunk before they buy a car??? or at least go through the stuff in it after you get it home? 

Also a post from Eric reply #96 states "Thanks for the new info I am happy to hear 2 exist now. The drive train is gone so I cant tell about any A/C brackets.  Your vin is silver/bare too? What is the build date? I must be dreaming finding a car this rare. WOW.  Eric"
   Sounds like there wasn't an A/C compressor but NOW there is??????  :shruggy:

TUFCAT

Y1 makes a very good point.... I've never seen an a/c compressor like that used by Chrysler corp... it could be from a 1956 Packard for all we know!  Randy (the guy on the video) said "it was factory" but like a buddy told me, "he didn't say who's factory"!   :smilielol:

ECS

Quote from: Aero426 on March 31, 2014, 08:45:28 AM
And for the other reasons pointed out about the tag irregularities and decals shenanigans........

Here is a photo of the "new" decal I made last night from my original (archived) artwork and a picture of my screen that shows the date when it was made.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

familymopar

Quote from: Y1CHARGER on March 31, 2014, 08:56:00 AM
Quote from: Syreal_70 on October 29, 2013, 09:22:55 PM
Its the right tag for sure. Didn't know that about the A/C hmmm very interesting. Well I guess I found a rare one. How could someone order an option like that? is it like a Copo Camaro?  Eric
I've been reading all along and just thought I'd make a comment,
I think it is really strange that Eric was surprised to hear that it was an A/C car when the A/C vents and controls are looking right back at you when looking into the car not to mention all the other components on the fire wall. 
   Also as shown NOW in the video, why did it take SO LONG for an A/C compressor to appear in the trunk?? 
It was asked in reply#52 "do the parts that came with the car include an A/C compressor, associated dual-belt pulleys, condenser, evaporator, etc?    It would be interesting to see if the A/C compressor in-situ."

Who doesn't look in the trunk before they buy a car??? or at least go through the stuff in it after you get it home? 

Also a post from Eric reply #96 states "Thanks for the new info I am happy to hear 2 exist now. The drive train is gone so I cant tell about any A/C brackets.  Your vin is silver/bare too? What is the build date? I must be dreaming finding a car this rare. WOW.  Eric"
   Sounds like there wasn't an A/C compressor but NOW there is??????  :shruggy:

I don't think Eric was surprised to find it was an A/C car, as you said I think that was obvious.  I think his surprise was to find out that A/C should not have been available with the 440-6

I do agree that it is very strange that the compressor and a bracket appears in the video.  Eric may not be a mopar guy but he is clearly well versed in cars and components.  That thing should have jumped out and screamed at him.

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 31, 2014, 09:00:51 AM
Y1 makes a very good point. I've never seen an a/c compressor like that used by Chrysler corp... it could be from a 1956 Packard for all we know!  Randy (the guy on the video) said "it was factory" but like a buddy told me, "he didn't say who's factory"!   :smilielol:

It does not look like a chrysler compressor to me either.  I have no doubt that compressor was built in a factory since I can say confidently that I do not believe it was whittled together by elves in the middle of the night!  You have some wise buddies!

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Dodge Don on March 31, 2014, 06:40:00 AM
As noted by others, really need the broadcast sheet to validate. I'd expect the sheet would have the 04 - Special Order designation on the bottom.

Yes but what would be more interesting is the engine assembly code for a 'non existent' 6bbl A/C car.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

TUFCAT

I don't think op Eric knew about that a/c compressor in Randy's video.... MCG wrote: "when Dave Wise inspected the car this compressor assembly was not present".

MCG also wrote on pg.80: "Randy was quick to show us a very crude looking air conditioning compressor found on GM, Ford, and aftermarket a/c systems".

My guess is that compressor/bracket assembly was from a 70's Dodge 440 Motorhome. The upfitters installed their own a/c compressors as part of the conversion. It wouldn't be very hard to find a used York a/c compressor (with brackets) once used on a 440 powered RV in a junkyard or ebay.    

I watched video posted my familymopar to check out the orientation of those brackets.  Based on my low tech detective work, it appears the compressor is not mounted straight up. I can't tell how its mounted exactly but it could be leaning towards the drivers side, at a 45 degree angle or more....and might possibly clear the six pack air cleaner??  :shruggy:  

I'm certainly NOT saying Chrysler would have ever done this...let me be clear!  This is strictly an aftermarket set-up.

StoneCold

Here..lets get the vin out there in text for Google to pick up so any interested parties can join along..  ;)  :cheers:
Edited: to put vin XS29V0G186075 inside sentence for google to pick up.

familymopar

Quote from: StoneCold on March 31, 2014, 01:38:57 PM
Here..lets get the vin out there in text for Google to pick up so any interested parties can join along..  ;)  :cheers:
XS29V0G186075

I thought of that yesterday and forgot to do it, good idea!  I have googled and researched the vin on every car I have ever bought so it is likely to bring someone in. 

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

tan top

wonder why this thread went quite , !! he sold the car eh :scratchchin:
lot of interesting  info being shared in this thread  :cheers: :cheers:

I wonder  ( un less its already been said ) if  the emissions label is missing  & door vin sticker was missing ,  because  it  showed a U code motor  :scratchchin:
does that look like a 5/16"  fuel line in the FB video  :scratchchin:  wernt they changed to a 3/8 in the 70 model year  for six pack cars ?? :popcrn:

:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

ECS

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 31, 2014, 01:12:04 PM
MCG wrote: "when Dave Wise inspected the car......

That's a point that has been completely overlooked.  Everyone wants to criticize people involved with perpetrating "falsehoods" on a car but what about the "experts" who escalating the problem by putting on their stamp of approval on the vehicle?  The "experts" that certified the car as being "original" made the ordeal even worse.  When these so called "experts" cannot recognize contradictions and problems with these VIN issues, they have no business documenting cars.  Instead of protecting the Industry against fraud, they add to its impropriety.

polywideblock

could it be that fraudulent sellers have lifted their game to the point that they are fooling the experts    :o     :scratchchin:

if ecs hadn't spoken up about making door vin who would have known    :Twocents:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

maxwellwedge

Quote from: ECS on April 01, 2014, 01:01:49 AM
Quote from: TUFCAT on March 31, 2014, 01:12:04 PM
MCG wrote: "when Dave Wise inspected the car......

That's a point that has been completely overlooked.  Everyone wants to criticize people involved with perpetrating "falsehoods" on a car but what about the "experts" who escalating the problem by putting on their stamp of approval on the vehicle?  The "experts" that certified the car as being "original" made the ordeal even worse.  When these so called "experts" cannot recognize contradictions and problems with these VIN issues, they have no business documenting cars.  Instead of protecting the Industry against fraud, they add to its impropriety.

I completely agree.  :2thumbs: