News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

door latch

Started by el dub, October 31, 2013, 06:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el dub

Just from looking I think I need to take out the window to put the door latches and linkage in. Am I right? OK so how do I take out the window? Maybe give me a good seach term to search it. I am not finding to much. And where are the tech archives at? So many questions. I'd like to thank everyone for giving me a lot of help so far on my car. Thanks.  lw
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

fy469rtse

I think you could sneek them in , put your window all the way up you can undo the guide at rear and just push it over to get main latch in,
I think its doable ,
you should be able to get all the linkages in as well

el dub

Thanks for the help fy49 but I think I still need to remove the window. I wasn't being to clear, my driver side window was replaced once with a tinted window. After I got the car painted I noticed it was scratched up pretty good so I want to remove it. Also at the bottom of the window there is a vertical rod that looks like it is supposed to go through a guide? but is not. The guide or whatever it is is just to the right of the post. Sure looks like it is supposed to go through whatever is to the right of it

Dmichels

YES it needs to go threw the hole
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

el dub

Thanks Dave, I figured that. Now waiting for the gaskets for the door handle and locks.

green69rt

Quote from: el dub on November 01, 2013, 11:07:19 AM
Thanks for the help fy49 but I think I still need to remove the window. I wasn't being to clear, my driver side window was replaced once with a tinted window. After I got the car painted I noticed it was scratched up pretty good so I want to remove it. Also at the bottom of the window there is a vertical rod that looks like it is supposed to go through a guide? but is not. The guide or whatever it is is just to the right of the post. Sure looks like it is supposed to go through whatever is to the right of it

I think the rod is bolted in from the bottom of the door (underneath.)  If you reinstall it there should be a  piece of fiberglass fabric sleeve that goes between it and the guide (anti-rattle.)

If you take everything apart I would bet that it would be a lot easier to put back together with the rod out and install it after the window is back in.

bill440rt

There's a plastic access plug at the bottom of the door, remove it. You'll see a 9/16" nut holding that rod in place inside. Remove it, you should be able to then reinstall the rod into the bottom of that vent window anchor.
There would be a piece of white foam sandwiched in there as an anti-rattle.  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

el dub

Thanks for the help. Not going to remove the window just yet, working on dash. Did get the rod in the right spot though. The vent window anchor. Thanks Bill for the correct terminology. Didn't see any foam though. Or any plastic caps,  but have some in my parts pile. Now I know where they go.

Ghoste

Don't forget that foam then because the rattle noise will drive you insane if you leave it out.

el dub

So does the foam go around the shaft? Seems like a tight fit...... I know, that's what she said. ;)

bill440rt

Foam goes in between the gap of the post and the "hoop". Yes, it's a tight fit.
You could substitute something else: duct or cloth tape, electrical tape, etc. Just something to stop metal to metal contact that could cause a rattle.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce